Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
kramf411

Coolant leaking / draining

Recommended Posts

First of all, Happy New Year everyone.

Unfortunately, not so happy anymore for me 😏

Last week, I noticed some strange smell after driving some ~30miles. I didn't give much to it. Coming back home - same distance - I noticed the same smell + some faint smoke coming out of the engine bay. I looked around and noticed the coolant is way below the MIN level - top it off to between MIN/MAX then the car sat overnight.

Following day, I checked the coolant level to be the same so I went on a 6-mile trip and back. I noticed the same smell + more smoke coming out of the engine bay. I am out of coolant again. Off course, with the engine off, I top it off again and left the hood open to come back a few minutes later with to see the coolant on the same level. I started the engine and immediately notice the coolant level going down. I looked underneath engine and there I saw liquid dripping rapidly.

I scheduled for service this coming Friday - I will have my car towed to the dealership.

Did any of you experience the same?

Do you have any ideas / wild guess of what it might be -best case to worst case scenario- and related cost?

 

Thanks!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, kramf411 said:

First of all, Happy New Year everyone.

Unfortunately, not so happy anymore for me 😏

Last week, I noticed some strange smell after driving some ~30miles. I didn't give much to it. Coming back home - same distance - I noticed the same smell + some faint smoke coming out of the engine bay. I looked around and noticed the coolant is way below the MIN level - top it off to between MIN/MAX then the car sat overnight.

Following day, I checked the coolant level to be the same so I went on a 6-mile trip and back. I noticed the same smell + more smoke coming out of the engine bay. I am out of coolant again. Off course, with the engine off, I top it off again and left the hood open to come back a few minutes later with to see the coolant on the same level. I started the engine and immediately notice the coolant level going down. I looked underneath engine and there I saw liquid dripping rapidly.

I scheduled for service this coming Friday - I will have my car towed to the dealership.

Did any of you experience the same?

Do you have any ideas / wild guess of what it might be -best case to worst case scenario- and related cost?

 

Thanks!

 

 

 

Hi kram. Sorry about how your new year has begun.

 

The problem could be any of quite a few areas, so blind Internet diagnosis is difficult at best. Is your 2017 MKZ still within the 6 year/70,000 mile Powertrain Warranty? If yes, the issue may be covered.

 

A guess? Your description (seemingly no coolant on ground, when filled it is okay overnight, but then leaks when driven) would lead one to believe the leak only occurs while the system is under pressure. Where is the question. Any white smoke from the exhaust? If yes, possibly a blown head gasket. If not, then perhaps a leaking hose or other point?

 

Let us know how result of the service visit, and good luck.

Edited by bbf2530

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bbf2530 said:

 

Hi kram. Sorry about how your new year has begun.

Thanks for your reply.

 

The problem could be any of quite a few areas, so blind Internet diagnosis is difficult at best. Is your 2017 MKZ still within the 6 year/70,000 mile Powertrain Warranty? If yes, the issue may be covered.

Should be within 6 years but 87k miles now

 

A guess? Your description (seemingly no coolant on ground, when filled it is okay overnight, but then leaks when driven) would lead one to believe the leak only occurs while the system is under pressure. Where is the question. Any white smoke from the exhaust? If yes, possibly a blown head gasket. If not, then perhaps a leaking hose or other point?

I see coolant dripping underneath the engine. Before I had the coolant issue, I have seen white smoke especially at first start in a cold morning, then it goes away.

 

Let us know how result of the service visit, and good luck.

I will provide more information once I had it check. Crossing my fingers (and toes 😆).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dealership called informing me of a bad radiator hose where the coolant is coming out from. ~$690 out of the door.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/6/2023 at 11:03 AM, kramf411 said:

Dealership called informing me of a bad radiator hose where the coolant is coming out from. ~$690 out of the door.

$690 for a hose?😱 There has to be more to it than that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, drolds1 said:

$690 for a hose?😱 There has to be more to it than that.

That's all what the advisor said. I will see the work order on Monday when I pick up the vehicle.

On my end when I was given the price, I was outright relieved not to hear "thousands" and not think about a 600 dollar hose since I was prepping myself for the worst.

When it slowly dawned on me, of course I thought the price could have been high but I couldn't do it myself anyway so there's that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, I was told it is not covered by the 6yr/100k comprehensive limited warranty for a CPO vehicle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 1/7/2023 at 6:45 PM, kramf411 said:

Also, I was told it is not covered by the 6yr/100k comprehensive limited warranty for a CPO vehicle.

 

Hi kramf. I would not think something like a radiator hose would necessarily be covered under a 6 year/100,000 mile CPO warranty. However, I would recommend you take out your CPO contract and double check, in case they made a *mistake*.

 

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

Edited by bbf2530

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did read somewhere that the hose itself is not covered, however, there is apparently an "o-ring issue", (TSB issued) which somehow makes the repair covered. I sent an email to the service manager to inquire and double check...not holding my breath, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A little bit of a setback. Dealer called today saying they've been trying to install the replacement hose to no success because Ford changed the part number without providing any information to them. They apparently now have to order an "entire assembly" and installation would be more involved. They, however, will not charge me extra for the service but I will have to pay the difference in the part price to the tune of ~$320.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kramf411 said:

A little bit of a setback. Dealer called today saying they've been trying to install the replacement hose to no success because Ford changed the part number without providing any information to them. They apparently now have to order an "entire assembly" and installation would be more involved. They, however, will not charge me extra for the service but I will have to pay the difference in the part price to the tune of ~$320.

 

Hi kramf. Well, that is odd. It should not be very hard to get the correct hose, unless there is something to this story the Service Department is not telling you.

 

Keep us updated and good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got my car back. They said nothing else was wrong except for the confusion about part p/n and that I have a brand new set of interconnecting hoses.

My car smells pretty bad after each drive - worst than when I had the leak. I was told the smell should subside in a couple of days or so after all the liquid has evaporated burnt out.

linc.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, kramf411 said:

Got my car back. They said nothing else was wrong except for the confusion about part p/n and that I have a brand new set of interconnecting hoses.

My car smells pretty bad after each drive - worst than when I had the leak. I was told the smell should subside in a couple of days or so after all the liquid has evaporated burnt out.

 

 

HI kramf. Happy to hear you have your car back, and hope that takes care of the issue.

 

Keep us updated and good luck.

Edited by bbf2530

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the update.  I don't see it on the ticket, but how many hours of labor was that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not on the ticket and was not told about the actual labor hour/s performed, either. Just verbally telling me they had difficulty fitting the original part before realizing there's a new p/n altogether that they themselves were not informed. True or False - wouldn't really know 😕

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, kramf411 said:

It's not on the ticket and was not told about the actual labor hour/s performed, either. Just verbally telling me they had difficulty fitting the original part before realizing there's a new p/n altogether that they themselves were not informed. True or False - wouldn't really know 😕

 

Hi gang. Just some off the top of the head math here ( not necessarily my strong point...lol):

 

Since the parts are itemized, I would assume (perhaps wrongly...lol) that the $542.50 line item is the labor.

 

So my wild guess is the labor hours were 3.5, since that would come to an even ($155 per hr). Or perhaps 4 hours, at $138.125? or something in that 3.5 to 4.5 area? 

 

Just hypothesizing here...lol

 

Good luck! 🍻

Edited by bbf2530

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guess what?

I will be bringing the vehicle back tomorrow. I believe I'm still loosing coolant "somewhere". When I reported the burning smell once I got my vehicle, I checked the coolant reservoir to be way below the minimum level. I checked it again after it was parked overnight and found it at the same level. I added coolant today (between min and max level) before going for a 6-mile trip. Immediately upon return, I checked it again - coolant is way below the min level. I'm writing this 3 hours after that trip and the coolant is on the same level.

I did not see any liquid dripping unlike before the service but I do see a wet spot - attached picture.IMG_20230115_163619065.thumb.jpg.2073a7533793386fd9b36193b642d4d2.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got my vehicle back yesterday. Apparently there was some air bubbles in the system.

Yesterday and this morning, the coolant level in the reservoir sits above the max level.

 

 

linc2.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/15/2023 at 1:15 PM, bbf2530 said:

 

Hi gang. Just some off the top of the head math here ( not necessarily my strong point...lol):

 

Since the parts are itemized, I would assume (perhaps wrongly...lol) that the $542.50 line item is the labor.

 

So my wild guess is the labor hours were 3.5, since that would come to an even ($155 per hr). Or perhaps 4 hours, at $138.125? or something in that 3.5 to 4.5 area? 

 

Just hypothesizing here...lol

 

Good luck! 🍻

The latest ticket shows a labor rate of $155/hr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kramf411 said:

The latest ticket shows a labor rate of $155/hr

 

HI kramf. Well...sorry you had to have a problem and pay that amount. But at least now I know my math skills have not deteriorated quite as much as I thought. 🙃🤣

 

Good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×