Jump to content
   
  • Custom Search


Recommended Posts

I have Sync 3.3 in my 2019 MKZ, but I’ve seen references to 3.4. I tried the WiFi update, which didn’t change anything. Is this available for MKZ? Any suggestions, or I guess ask my dealer?

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
   

Here is the answer: 3.4 is currently only for 2020 Ford Rangers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a way to "side" load it.  Many have done it on the facebook groups and other forums.   I won't do it until I'm out of warranty though .

 

 https://cyanlabs.net/tutorials/update-ford-sync-3-2-2-3-0-to-version-3-4-all-years-3-4-19200/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once it was confirmed that it was possible to go back to 3.2 or 3.3, I took the plunge and updated my 2019 MKZ Hybrid to Sync 3.4.19274.   Took a couple of days to work out the kinks, some notes are below.

 

Vehicle:  2019 MKZ Hybrid Reserve II

 

  • If you follow the Cyanlabs instructions, it sounds like you only need to install the 3.4.19274 update if your already running 3.2 or above.   This is only partially true as some files from the map updated are needed with 3.4.19274, so you can either update from the startup process (which will add a good hour to the time) or create a separate install for the missing packages and perform that (more information on which packages you need below) after or during the 19274 update.  
  • Even with the map updates, there is a missing package from the normal Cyanlabs process.   This is the updated voice file from 19274 and will prevent some Voice Navigation features from working.   The missing file is 5U5T-14G391-CK_1571081000.TAR.GZ and can be added after the update and is for North America (US English, French Canadian and Spanish) only.  I don't know what the alternate languages would be, or if they are available.  You can add it by creating a new autoinstall.lst file and placing the file above in the SyncMyRide directory of your USB Stick.

                 [SYNCGen3.0_ALL]
                 Item1 = 5U5T-14G391-CK
                 Open1 = SyncMyRide\5U5T-14G391-CK_1571088381000.TAR.GZ
                 Options = AutoInstall

  • The APIM firmware updates are not required on the 2019 models (see one possible exception below) and are only required on the pre 2019 models if you want to add the Wireless Apps, Calm Screen and Radio Logos (not to be confused with Sirius XM logos and seem to be for Europe only).  If you have a 2019 all should work.  These are my non-updated firmware versions from the 2019 MKZ Hybrid Reserve II.
    • Secondary Boot Loader - GB5T-14G376-AA
    • Strategy - 1U5T-14G374-DA
    • Calibration - 1U5T-14G375-DA
    • ECU Configuration/Sound Profiles - GB5T-14G379-AA
    • ECU Configuration/Illumination Strategy - JB5T-14G379-BA
  • The only 2020 feature I did not see working was the album art in Sirius XM.   I saw this working in a demo of 3.4 (https://youtu.be/wxjmmj4Wp0U?t=214) but it does not work on my car.  I need to do some additional discovery to see if this is a APIM firmware update, a FORScan mod or an update to the GraceNote packages that are not present.
  • Before with 3.3 I had sporadic Sirius XM channel logos (maybe 1 out of 8 showed), but after the update, all stations in Sirius XM that I checked now have logos.  A big improvement there.
  • With Android Auto, I now get the turn information and speed limits on the IPC (with the Hybrid, its the right IPC) when running Google Maps (but not Waze yet).  With Apple CarPlay this does not seem to be working.
  • (YMMV) On my MKZ hybrid, I had it configured via FORScan to show the heated and air conditioned seats and steering wheel on the home screen.   This is only partially working after the update.   The heated steering wheel icon still appears, but not the seat icons.   At times, a button appears (but is not able to be pressed) showing the icon for the Power Flow app, so this may be an issue specific to the hybrid models.  On a side note, resetting the setting in FORScan to not show the seat and steering wheel buttons, now has the effect that Sync now remembers which screen I was on when I restart, so if I left off in Navigation or XM, that screen reappears when I restart the car.  This may be present in previous versions, but I just noticed due to previous configurations.  I like it better and will be keeping it this way since the physical seat buttons are always visible anyway.
  • Calm Screen works by enabling the setting in FORScan (7D0-02-03  - X4XX XX) and can be accessed by Settings -> Display and a large Calm Screen button now appears.  It can be turned off by tapping the screen.
  • 19274 adds lots of new Navigation commands that will not work without all the correct packages aligned.  In fact, some previous navigation commands will not work without the correct voice files.  If you go into the Bezel Diagnostics -> APIM -> IVSU Versions, you should have the following versions and can download and install any missing ones (or use from another package):
    • 5U5T-14G381-CJ
    • 5U5T-14G381-CK
    • 4U5T-14G423-CA
    • 4U5T-14G421-CAB
    • 4U5T-14G422-CAC
  • You can now also use apps (Waze, Pandora, IHeartRadio, Sirius XM) wirelessly (no longer USB tethered).  Waze works this way with Apple, but not Android.  I do not know if this is APIM firmware restricted, but I think it is.
  • My FORScan changes are all working as expected, with the exception of the APIM based one I used for the seat icons on the home screen.

 

 

Edited by BroMarduk
Hit send too early.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I test drove a 2020 MKZ-H that had 3.4 19101 ... so it's out there....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I've seen a few 2020's on eBay with Sync 3.4.

 

I personally don't like the "blue" theme, it would be a deal breaker for me.

 

 

3LN6L5A92LR609344-13.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

THe one I test drove, had the light brown theme.... the Lincoln one....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are 4 different colors to choose from.   As Multitask said,  The Lincoln Gold one.  I don't remember the other 2.  One was dark, sort of  grayish black, IIRC.  I'll check when I get chance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A loaner I had last year has 4 screen color choices, but it seemed like really only two choices. 

2 were blue, and 2 were brown, only a slight difference between each color choice.  

 

SYNC 3.3

Tk4KB1t.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A loaner that I have now has 4 screen color choices, but it seems like really only two choices. 

3 shades of blue, and one brown.

 

SYNC 3.4

U071EX8.jpg

 

Not sure that I like the new layout.

4AK0dDx.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My 2020 MKZH is 3.4 19274

I know 20021 is out there , but it's still too buggy...

 

I don't mind the blue on blue, but ti would have been nice to have the old Lincoln Goldish colors too...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Multitask said:

My 2020 MKZH is 3.4 19274

I know 20021 is out there , but it's still too buggy...

 

I don't mind the blue on blue, but ti would have been nice to have the old Lincoln Goldish colors too...

 

 

I think that most of the bug reports are specific to the APIM in your car.   Many of the older cars/APIMs exhibit different compatibility issues that are almost certainly hardware.   With a 2019+ you should be fine assuming you use the correct voice file for the version of Sync you have.   I've been running 20021 for over a week on a 2019 MKZ Hybrid:  

  • No issues with Bluetooth.  Took a drive to Montreal last week and did not notice one dropout (Galaxy S10 5G).
  • No USB issues as the ports are compatible with Android Auto.  Took a couple of cables to get a reliable connection though.
  • Maps, including 3D are working fine after an initial period recalibration after factory APIM reset.
  • Calm screen works (after ForScan tweaks)
  • The auto brightness is working fine for me - no flickering and I've been testing it.
  • 2019 maps are a noticeable improvement.  (independent of version of Sync, but you need the right voice files).
  • I agree with others that the USB interface looks like it was lifted off a 1985 cheapo MP3 player :).

The bugs I have heard are:

  • Issues with USB music controls getting stuck.
  • The USB port reporting it is an unsupported hub after update.
  • Issues with Bluetooth connectivity.
  • Issues with navigation
  • Issues with voice navigation

I have not experienced any of the above, if are there any others anyone knows about, let me know and I will check.

 

Upgrading/downgrading within 3.4 is fairly easy if you don't like it (takes about 15 minutes with a USB 3.0 drive) assuming you are not changing maps.

 

I still don't get album art with SiriusXM, but I think that has more to do with the newer APIMs using the newer SiriusXM chipset internally.   Not worth the $600 to upgrade the APIM for that.   I'd be curious if this works for you Multitask....

 

I did find an issue in 20021 with Voice commands if you had an Album and Song with the same name, but I've already reported and had the issue confirmed and told it will be fixed in the next release (probably not out for a month or more).

 

For those of you not willing to take the leap, various insiders have stated that almost all 2019+ vehicles with get the 3.4 update at some time, so waiting is also an option if you have a newer vehicle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, BroMarduk said:

 

I think that most of the bug reports are specific to the APIM in your car.   Many of the older cars/APIMs exhibit different compatibility issues that are almost certainly hardware.   With a 2019+ you should be fine assuming you use the correct voice file for the version of Sync you have.   I've been running 20021 for over a week on a 2019 MKZ Hybrid:  

  • No issues with Bluetooth.  Took a drive to Montreal last week and did not notice one dropout (Galaxy S10 5G).
  • No USB issues as the ports are compatible with Android Auto.  Took a couple of cables to get a reliable connection though.
  • Maps, including 3D are working fine after an initial period recalibration after factory APIM reset.
  • Calm screen works (after ForScan tweaks)
  • The auto brightness is working fine for me - no flickering and I've been testing it.
  • 2019 maps are a noticeable improvement.  (independent of version of Sync, but you need the right voice files).
  • I agree with others that the USB interface looks like it was lifted off a 1985 cheapo MP3 player :).

The bugs I have heard are:

  • Issues with USB music controls getting stuck.
  • The USB port reporting it is an unsupported hub after update.
  • Issues with Bluetooth connectivity.
  • Issues with navigation
  • Issues with voice navigation

I have not experienced any of the above, if are there any others anyone knows about, let me know and I will check.

 

Upgrading/downgrading within 3.4 is fairly easy if you don't like it (takes about 15 minutes with a USB 3.0 drive) assuming you are not changing maps.

 

I still don't get album art with SiriusXM, but I think that has more to do with the newer APIMs using the newer SiriusXM chipset internally.   Not worth the $600 to upgrade the APIM for that.   I'd be curious if this works for you Multitask....

 

I did find an issue in 20021 with Voice commands if you had an Album and Song with the same name, but I've already reported and had the issue confirmed and told it will be fixed in the next release (probably not out for a month or more).

 

For those of you not willing to take the leap, various insiders have stated that almost all 2019+ vehicles with get the 3.4 update at some time, so waiting is also an option if you have a newer vehicle.

 

Things you mentioned, I already had, other than the 1-19 maps.  No bugs with the stock setup.... 

 

 As far as Album art... I'd have to look...  I don't pay attention, and I don't listen to it that much.... when the Radio is gone, i wouldn't care, but the Traffic will be nice.... I even tested it... I pressed for Weather, and it gave me the weather for a place that was about 50-75 miles away... so maybe not where I was... although Google knew.  😎

 

For me, tiny things I see... Nav seems to launch slower then my 2018 with a APIM from a 2019 Mustang ... I would have thought it would be the same, but it's not... (any I'm not talking long times, maybe 20 seconds slower) once it's going it's fine

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/16/2020 at 12:11 PM, BroMarduk said:

Once it was confirmed that it was possible to go back to 3.2 or 3.3, I took the plunge and updated my 2019 MKZ Hybrid to Sync 3.4.19274.   Took a couple of days to work out the kinks, some notes are below.

 

Vehicle:  2019 MKZ Hybrid Reserve II

 

  • If you follow the Cyanlabs instructions, it sounds like you only need to install the 3.4.19274 update if your already running 3.2 or above.   This is only partially true as some files from the map updated are needed with 3.4.19274, so you can either update from the startup process (which will add a good hour to the time) or create a separate install for the missing packages and perform that (more information on which packages you need below) after or during the 19274 update.  
  • Even with the map updates, there is a missing package from the normal Cyanlabs process.   This is the updated voice file from 19274 and will prevent some Voice Navigation features from working.   The missing file is 5U5T-14G391-CK_1571081000.TAR.GZ and can be added after the update and is for North America (US English, French Canadian and Spanish) only.  I don't know what the alternate languages would be, or if they are available.  You can add it by creating a new autoinstall.lst file and placing the file above in the SyncMyRide directory of your USB Stick.

                 [SYNCGen3.0_ALL]
                 Item1 = 5U5T-14G391-CK
                 Open1 = SyncMyRide\5U5T-14G391-CK_1571088381000.TAR.GZ
                 Options = AutoInstall

  • The APIM firmware updates are not required on the 2019 models (see one possible exception below) and are only required on the pre 2019 models if you want to add the Wireless Apps, Calm Screen and Radio Logos (not to be confused with Sirius XM logos and seem to be for Europe only).  If you have a 2019 all should work.  These are my non-updated firmware versions from the 2019 MKZ Hybrid Reserve II.
    • Secondary Boot Loader - GB5T-14G376-AA
    • Strategy - 1U5T-14G374-DA
    • Calibration - 1U5T-14G375-DA
    • ECU Configuration/Sound Profiles - GB5T-14G379-AA
    • ECU Configuration/Illumination Strategy - JB5T-14G379-BA
  • The only 2020 feature I did not see working was the album art in Sirius XM.   I saw this working in a demo of 3.4 (https://youtu.be/wxjmmj4Wp0U?t=214) but it does not work on my car.  I need to do some additional discovery to see if this is a APIM firmware update, a FORScan mod or an update to the GraceNote packages that are not present.
  • Before with 3.3 I had sporadic Sirius XM channel logos (maybe 1 out of 8 showed), but after the update, all stations in Sirius XM that I checked now have logos.  A big improvement there.
  • With Android Auto, I now get the turn information and speed limits on the IPC (with the Hybrid, its the right IPC) when running Google Maps (but not Waze yet).  With Apple CarPlay this does not seem to be working.
  • (YMMV) On my MKZ hybrid, I had it configured via FORScan to show the heated and air conditioned seats and steering wheel on the home screen.   This is only partially working after the update.   The heated steering wheel icon still appears, but not the seat icons.   At times, a button appears (but is not able to be pressed) showing the icon for the Power Flow app, so this may be an issue specific to the hybrid models.  On a side note, resetting the setting in FORScan to not show the seat and steering wheel buttons, now has the effect that Sync now remembers which screen I was on when I restart, so if I left off in Navigation or XM, that screen reappears when I restart the car.  This may be present in previous versions, but I just noticed due to previous configurations.  I like it better and will be keeping it this way since the physical seat buttons are always visible anyway.
  • Calm Screen works by enabling the setting in FORScan (7D0-02-03  - X4XX XX) and can be accessed by Settings -> Display and a large Calm Screen button now appears.  It can be turned off by tapping the screen.
  • 19274 adds lots of new Navigation commands that will not work without all the correct packages aligned.  In fact, some previous navigation commands will not work without the correct voice files.  If you go into the Bezel Diagnostics -> APIM -> IVSU Versions, you should have the following versions and can download and install any missing ones (or use from another package):
    • 5U5T-14G381-CJ
    • 5U5T-14G381-CK
    • 4U5T-14G423-CA
    • 4U5T-14G421-CAB
    • 4U5T-14G422-CAC
  • You can now also use apps (Waze, Pandora, IHeartRadio, Sirius XM) wirelessly (no longer USB tethered).  Waze works this way with Apple, but not Android.  I do not know if this is APIM firmware restricted, but I think it is.
  • My FORScan changes are all working as expected, with the exception of the APIM based one I used for the seat icons on the home screen.

 

 

 

Hey bro! Did you have to use the format tool? If so, what version were you on before you upgraded?

 

TIA!
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The format tool is only if you are going from 3.0 to 3.4, not needed if you are on 3.3 going to 3.4

THis is because the 3.0 file/folder structure is different than the 3.2 3.2 3.4

I have a 2020 MKZ H and it came with 3.4, I'm not about to do the update from Cyan Labs because it's all beta software... something is bound to not work, as has been posted there many times... and the guy seems to be overwhelmed on answering that thread.

 

If you don't mind being a BETA TESTER, or in some ways an ALPHA TESTER... then go for it, but if you have issues, Lincoln and most here will not help.  😎

Edited by Multitask

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Multitask said:

but if you have issues, Lincoln and most here will not help.  😎

 

Thanks for the warm welcome... I appreciate it and the knowledge! However, the question was not directed towards you as if I needed your help. 

 

I just purchased a $62k AMERICAN vehicle (built in Canada go figure) and while the imports seem to have the features I want, I would like to have the latest versions of software that aren't getting pushed out fast enough. In my error though, I really just want wireless Android Auto but then realized that's coming in Sync 4 which apparently my hardware won't be compatible. If I plug in my phone and place it where it's supposed to go, it now gets charged via USB and wireless making it very hot. I shouldn't have to move my phone or place something in the compartment to stop the wireless. 

 

BroMarduk seemed to get his working and I found this thread doing a search so I thought I'd ask in my pursuit of knowledge. My tech career as an engineer is coming up with solutions daily for challenging projects so I'm not concerned about "issues". 

 

I won't be back since I don't own an MKZ and prefer the continental if I wasn't already in an SUV. 

 

Cheers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, UserNameGoesHere said:

I won't be back since I don't own an MKZ and prefer the continental if I wasn't already in an SUV. 

 

Funny, at the start you mention that you have a 2019 MKZ  (update: I see that you did not mention that ... it's the BroMarduk, my mistake)

 

also I was letting you know that most of the people here are not tech oriented, so you might not get the answers you need here.  The guy on Cyan seems overwhelmed when all the 'help' that he is offering for free.  😎

 

You are right, Wireless AA will only be with the newer Ford/Lincoln with Sync 4, this has something to due with the APIM and built in modem I would assume.  I would have thought it would be a Summer release, but I kinda doubt it now because of Covid.

 

I always warn people about updating to the Sync software when it's a beta/alpha release.... there are bugs that they have not figured out and will release it when they can.  Although that does not preclude bugs.  So maybe it's a good thing they are allowing all this pre-release stuff out, those people are beta testing for them for free.  😎

 

Mine was built in Mexico... just not anymore since Ford/Lincoln will not make Sedans right now.

Edited by Multitask

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/14/2020 at 5:15 PM, Multitask said:

 

Things you mentioned, I already had, other than the 1-19 maps.  No bugs with the stock setup.... 

 

 As far as Album art... I'd have to look...  I don't pay attention, and I don't listen to it that much.... when the Radio is gone, i wouldn't care, but the Traffic will be nice.... I even tested it... I pressed for Weather, and it gave me the weather for a place that was about 50-75 miles away... so maybe not where I was... although Google knew.  😎

 

For me, tiny things I see... Nav seems to launch slower then my 2018 with a APIM from a 2019 Mustang ... I would have thought it would be the same, but it's not... (any I'm not talking long times, maybe 20 seconds slower) once it's going it's fine

 

 

 

Just an FYI... I did look at my Sirius, and I'm getting the album art as well as the station icons... so I bet you are right about the newer hardware

When I had my 2018 FFH, I put a Nav APIM from a 2019 Mustang in it, and upgraded it to 3.4 , and it was fast.  But my 2020 MKZH seems slower than it should be... maps do load and adjust but slower... even traffic takes about 5 minutes before I see it on the screen... 

I typically only use that for local driving... and AA for longer trips.

 

I would update to 20021 and 1-19, but I think i will wait a bit longer for the next revision.  😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Multitask said:

 

Funny, at the start you mention that you have a 2019 MKZ  (update: I see that you did not mention that ... it's the BroMarduk, my mistake)

 

also I was letting you know that most of the people here are not tech oriented, so you might not get the answers you need here.  The guy on Cyan seems overwhelmed when all the 'help' that he is offering for free.  😎

 

You are right, Wireless AA will only be with the newer Ford/Lincoln with Sync 4, this has something to due with the APIM and built in modem I would assume.  I would have thought it would be a Summer release, but I kinda doubt it now because of Covid.

 

I always warn people about updating to the Sync software when it's a beta/alpha release.... there are bugs that they have not figured out and will release it when they can.  Although that does not preclude bugs.  So maybe it's a good thing they are allowing all this pre-release stuff out, those people are beta testing for them for free.  😎

 

Mine was built in Mexico... just not anymore since Ford/Lincoln will not make Sedans right now.

 

I get it and appreciate the heads up. Now that I know I was mistaken about AA, I can wait for 3.4 which I should get at some point this year hopefully. I may look into aftermarket kits to allow for wireless AA but I'm not finding anything unless I get a new head unit which will never happen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've seen those... not sure I want to 'hack' it just so I get wireless... I just wish AA didn't take over the system... maybe with Sync 4 it won't?  😎

 

I didn't get to use or play with 3.2 or 3.3, so I can only attest to 3.4, but it's WAY faster than 3.0...

 

I was willing to move up, because if I screwed up, I could always put the old unit back in....  can't do that with my 2020 ... so I will wait too...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quick Question - I have a 2017 MKZ Select - I recently had a 2020 Ford Fusion rental car and it displayed my next direction from Android Auto (e.g. 5 mi turn right onto Main St) on the instrument cluster when displaying the Compass - It did not have factory NAV.

 

Does anyone know if this Sync 3.4 update would change the instrument cluster features to show this information?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Multitask said:

I've seen those... not sure I want to 'hack' it just so I get wireless... I just wish AA didn't take over the system... maybe with Sync 4 it won't?  😎

 

I didn't get to use or play with 3.2 or 3.3, so I can only attest to 3.4, but it's WAY faster than 3.0...

 

I was willing to move up, because if I screwed up, I could always put the old unit back in....  can't do that with my 2020 ... so I will wait too...

 

I agree and it's more of a frustration thing at how my Nautilus is set up. I could literally just use a TV stick and keep that plugged in while my phone rests on the wireless charger out of site. 

 

Like you, I'm willing to upgrade if I can rollback the process due to issues. Since I don't need the factory mode files, I wasn't getting prompted to upgrade with the latest 3.4 version installed properly on my USB drive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×