Sign in to follow this  
MKZMark

Getting to the interior fuse box on a 2017

How do I remove the dash panel in front of the fuse box? My body can't take any more contortions getting to the fuses.

Bump...I didn't see anything on youtube about this.

I just took at look at mine.  Now, I have a hybrid so it wouldn't surprise me if the set up is different.  But, if yours looks like mine, you are supposed to get on your back to access it.  I see no other way.  It's way too far up there.  They probably do this just so you don't mess with the fuses except to change them.

Edited by Chris109

I figure this panel has to pop off, I just want to make sure I don't break anything.

20181017_145434.jpg

On 10/17/2018 at 3:15 PM, MKZMark said:

I figure this panel has to pop off, I just want to make sure I don't break anything.

20181017_145434.jpg

Looks to be like this is the only way.  I fiddled a bit with mine.  Clips hold that whole piece in.  At first I thought there may be a problem with those knobs and parking brake, but then everything is electrical so nothing  to keep that panel from coming off.  I did notice a couple of screws on that bottom piece but I'm not sure if they are connected.  Just take it slow.  From previous experiences, those plastic connectors do love to break every now and then, especially when using just a screwdriver.

3 hours ago, Chris109 said:

Looks to be like this is the only way.  I fiddled a bit with mine.  Clips hold that whole piece in.  At first I thought there may be a problem with those knobs and parking brake, but then everything is electrical so nothing  to keep that panel from coming off.  I did notice a couple of screws on that bottom piece but I'm not sure if they are connected.  Just take it slow.  From previous experiences, those plastic connectors do love to break every now and then, especially when using just a screwdriver.

I tugged on it a bit but I'm not going any further until I hear from someone who has done it or has a shop manual. I guess I better start doing situps.....

Not sure if it's exactly like a 17 Fusion, but the videos below might help, if you haven't seen them yet.

Go to 1:29 in the 1st video.

The 2nd video shows the interior panel folding down, not sure if our MKZ is the same.

Edited by fusionff

I couldn't let this go.  But, it's one of those where you need to know it.

2 clips on the right side.  4 clips on the left side.  Panel swings down.  I do believe that the easiest way is to pry it open from the top and not the sides.  Right side popped open with very little effort.  Now if you can fit a chubby hand in there that is another thing.

dash.jpg

Edited by Chris109

Hi Chris.  Hey, thanks for the investigation!  Good information to know.

Thanks again and good luck. 🙂

From the SM.  Sorry I didn't get to this sooner:

UpperIP.jpg

Thanks everyone, I popped it open and installed a USB cable with a fuse adapter. This is for my new cell phone holder.

Resized_20181021_115251_296.jpeg

2 hours ago, MKZMark said:

Thanks everyone, I popped it open and installed a USB cable with a fuse adapter. This is for my new cell phone holder.

Resized_20181021_115251_296.jpeg

Which fuse adapter did you use to connect the USB cable?

I got it off Amazon, it's for a dashcam. The MKZ uses a new fuse type so make sure you get the right one, the type is in the manual. You also need a spare fuse since the adapter needs one in addition to the one you replace. My Z had a spare in an unused slot.

1 hour ago, MKZMark said:

I got it off Amazon, it's for a dashcam. The MKZ uses a new fuse type so make sure you get the right one, the type is in the manual. You also need a spare fuse since the adapter needs one in addition to the one you replace. My Z had a spare in an unused slot.

Hi MKZMark.  For those interested, could you post a link to the Amazon site where you purchased the adapter from?

Thanks and good luck. 🙂

3 hours ago, MKZMark said:

Yes, I know.  It's a Micro2 fuse.  When I wanted to put my dashcam in my 2014 MKZ, there were no adapters/fuse taps for MIcro2 on the market yet. I did a lot of research trying to find one.  They were available in China but not here.  A company in China that I contacted offered to sell them to me in lots of a thousand!🤣  I finally found a place that would sell me a dozen and was about to pull the trigger on that when they finally became available one at a time on eBay.  I was kind of a pioneer with this.  See this post.

I was just curious about what you ended up using.

16 hours ago, bbf2530 said:

Hi MKZMark.  For those interested, could you post a link to the Amazon site where you purchased the adapter from?

Thanks and good luck. 🙂

Search for "micro 2 fuse tap". https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_3_12?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=micro+2+fuse+tap&sprefix=micro+2+fuse%2Caps%2C488&crid=1PVZ8IOB79JPN

Did you try connecting to one of the Auxiliary Power (cigarette lighter) points on the bottom shelf, in the front, of the center storage area, under the radio?  There are 2 of them, at least on my hybrid.  Or are those not active all the time? 

No I didn't, you could put a USB adapter on one of them.