Sign in to follow this  
willy j

Throwing a p0302 and a po202

I hope i got the right forum.........

Need some help diagnosing some codes, 

Po302                                                        po202

Well i'm a long ways away from home and the wife's car is acting up. 

Spitting  and sputtering shaking, all that stuff. 

Thanks everyone for the help

53 minutes ago, willy j said:

I hope i got the right forum.........

Need some help diagnosing some codes, 

Po302                                                        po202

Well i'm a long ways away from home and the wife's car is acting up. 

Spitting  and sputtering shaking, all that stuff. 

Thanks everyone for the help

Hi WillyJ. I'm going to move this to the "General Engine, Powertrain & Transmission" sub-forum, where you may get more specific responses.

Here is what I get for those codes:

P0302 - Cylinder 2 misfiring.

P0202 - Cylinder 2 Injector Circuit Malfunction.

Is the CEL blinking? If it is, the car needs to be parked as soon as possible, then taken in for diagnosis and repair.  Driving with a blinking CEL can cause further damage.

Some possible causes? Could be a bad cylinder 2 plug, plug wire, coil, or a failing/failed PCM. Or possibly even more than one of those issues. For example, a failed coil can sometimes cause the PCM to fail, and vice-a-versa.

Keep us updated and good luck.

Edited by bbf2530

On 10/4/2018 at 12:50 PM, bbf2530 said:

Hi WillyJ. I'm going to move this to the "General Engine, Powertrain & Transmission" sub-forum, where you may get more specific responses.

Here is what I get for those codes:

P0302 - Cylinder 2 misfiring.

P0202 - Cylinder 2 Injector Circuit Malfunction.

Is the CEL blinking? If it is, the car needs to be parked as soon as possible, then taken in for diagnosis and repair.  Driving with a blinking CEL can cause further damage.

Some possible causes? Could be a bad cylinder 2 plug, plug wire, coil, or a failing/failed PCM. Or possibly even more than one of those issues. For example, a failed coil can sometimes cause the PCM to fail, and vice-a-versa.

Awesome, thanks for the help bb.

I had to come home and do some diagnosis of my own, i'm no expert but it's shaking and stuttering pretty good,is this like a dealer type diagnosis. 

Thanks everyone

15 hours ago, willy j said:

Awesome, thanks for the help bb.

I had to come home and do some diagnosis of my own, i'm no expert but it's shaking and stuttering pretty good,is this like a dealer type diagnosis. 

Thanks everyone

Hi Willy.  While your Lincoln/Ford Dealer would be a first choice, any modern and competent shop can probably diagnose and repair an issue like this. Especially since it has thrown clear DTC's.

A quick Internet diagnosis from a stranger who has not seen your car (which is worth exactly what you are paying for it🙃)? It is likely a bad plug coil and/or a failed PCM.  Hopefully only the coil.

Edited by bbf2530

8 hours ago, bbf2530 said:

Hi Willy.  While your Lincoln/Ford Dealer would be a first choice, any modern and competent shop can probably diagnose and repair an issue like this. Especially since it has thrown clear DTC's.

A quick Internet diagnosis from a stranger who has not seen your car (which is worth exactly what you are paying for it🙃)? It is likely a bad plug coil and/or a failed PCM.  Hopefully only the coil.

Well i just got done fixing the car.... well so far so good that is. After doing some serious googling and researching troubleshooting sites i was able to repair the terrible hesitation and stuttering performance.  According to the codes,  p0302 and p0202, cylinder #2 misfire, injector circuit open cylinder  #2.

I used my dvmm to measure the resistance levels on the fuel injectors. Not knowing what the levels are supposed to be i have learned that all the injectors should measure the same. 

Cylinder  #2 fuel injector measured waaaay outside what all the rest were.(12.5). I got kinda lucky cause only one injector was bad(138.7 - 213). Which i replaced. 

Had a few issues in the process plus i changed the plugs as well took me about 9 hours. 

Thanks for all the help, hopefully i won't have any more issues. If you have any insight as to a forecast of any kind or concerns i might have to watch for.

Thank you very much

2 hours ago, willy j said:

Well i just got done fixing the car.... well so far so good that is. After doing some serious googling and researching troubleshooting sites i was able to repair the terrible hesitation and stuttering performance.  According to the codes,  p0302 and p0202, cylinder #2 misfire, injector circuit open cylinder  #2.

I used my dvmm to measure the resistance levels on the fuel injectors. Not knowing what the levels are supposed to be i have learned that all the injectors should measure the same. 

Cylinder  #2 fuel injector measured waaaay outside what all the rest were.(12.5). I got kinda lucky cause only one injector was bad(138.7 - 213). Which i replaced. 

Had a few issues in the process plus i changed the plugs as well took me about 9 hours. 

Thanks for all the help, hopefully i won't have any more issues. If you have any insight as to a forecast of any kind or concerns i might have to watch for.

Thank you very much

Hi Willy. If it was the injector and you're running fine now, you shouldn't need to worry about much. Dumb question...but you gapped the new spark plugs according to spec, correct?

As mentioned earlier, sometimes a coil failure can fry the PCM and vice-a-versa.  But from what I hear, those cascading type problems usually do not occur when an injector goes bad. Sounds like you did some good work and got a little lucky too.

10 hours ago, bbf2530 said:

Hi Willy. If it was the injector and you're running fine now, you shouldn't need to worry about much. Dumb question...but you gapped the new spark plugs according to spec, correct?

As mentioned earlier, sometimes a coil failure can fry the PCM and vice-a-versa.  But from what I hear, those cascading type problems usually do not occur when an injector goes bad. Sounds like you did some good work and got a little lucky too.

I do have one concern though, after doing the fix, the car wouldn't start so i had to charge it first then it started up fine. I let it run a while then i noticed some steam and got moisture coming from the air filter cabin area. I shut off the car and reworked the air supply hose into its proper setting, put it all back together and started the car. After a few minutes at idle i noticed that i did not hook the MAF connector, so while the car was running i plugged the maf sensor in and the car stalled out dead. 

Started it back up and runs great, no engine light, no cel light. All good.