ZED

3.0T oil change ?

I may start changing my own oil on my 2017 MKZ 3.0T so I was wondering what type of oil filter remover do I need to get? Meaning to remove the top mount filter holder?

Just a big 27mm socket. It's quite easy. The housing has your torque specifications on it as well. It is most just snug enough till you get resistance being 15 nm.

Also always remove the filter first before you remove the drain plug from the pan. It also helps to loosen the dipstick and oil fill cap to reduce any pressure. This makes it so the oil will not gush out upon removing the drain plug.

If the car was running prior to starting the change, allow 15 to 20 minutes for majority of the oil to return to the pain. After refilling with fresh fluid, again wait awhile before checking fluid readings since it takes awhile for some oil to pass the check valve.

But it should always be exactly 6.0 quarts (a gallon and half) of engine oil going in. Make sure the oil dipstick's lowest dot is filled with oil, but avoid passing the hash marks and filling the top most fill dot on the dipstick (sign of being too much.

I'm really going to miss how easy it was to change all fluids on this vehicle...for a modern car.

I have changed my oil for a long time, but have never changed a cartridge type filter. Is there anything special I need to know? Does the filter need to go in a certain way?

Thanks!

The filter is pretty straightforward. Along with changing the filter, you also change the O-rings as new ones come with the filter.

The only challenging part is replacing the smallest O-ring, which small pliers should help flex it on. Or heat it up, lube it with some oil, and it should go on easier.

Having the filter on top of the engine will make it really easy. Is there a "hatch" in the cover underneath to drain the oil or does the whole cover have to come off?  

There is a yellow drain plug on the oil pan. You do not need to remove any covers to access it, and pretty easy to spot.

As stated before, loosen the oil dipstick and filter housing first then untwist and pull the plug out quickly once ready to collect. Align the edge of whatever container or pan you use to collect oil, as it will flow forward at an angle like a water fountain due to some pressure, it does not flush straight down. Edge of  collection container should line up with the drain plug.

Do that for a non-messy change. Once oil is drained, attach the plug back. Finally after changing the filter, you can seal it up, close the oil dipstick, and fill 6 quarts of new oil. Wait 10-15 mins then check the dipstick (system has a check valve so accurate reading upon filling is not exact). As long oil fills the bottom hole and within hash marks when around ambient temperature, all is good.

Thanks, Zalvern!

Finally got around to doing my first oil change. It was really easy. I haven't ever seen a oil plug like this one. There is really no reason not to do this yourself it is so easy! The filter looked really dirty. Maybe they always look like this? Hopefully the dealer did actually change the oil as they said and not just reset the oil change gauge.