Sign in to follow this  
thilton19

2008 MKZ: Brakes lose pedal pressure after hitting a bump

Hello All,

We purchased a used, one owner, 2008 MKZ less than a year ago, and while the car runs and rides great we have seen a reoccurring, and unsettling issue with the brakes. When you apply the brakes you initially have good brake pedal pressure, then the pedal all but goes to the floor. While you will still have brakes, its stopping power is greatly diminished, and if it were an emergency situation, there is no way you would be able to stop in time. This doesn't happen all the time, maybe once every couple of months or so, but it makes the vehicle not safe to drive. This only seems to occur when you hit a bump while braking. 

We've had it to our mechanic a couple of times. They've bled the ABS system, after which all was well for about 2 months, then the problem occurred again. We then took the car to our local Lincoln dealer and they found nothing wrong. I've heard that this was a known issue with earlier years of the MKZ, but I simply cannot find a fix. 

Has anyone here ever heard or experienced this? If so, were you able to resolve it and how? I look forward to your responses.

Thank you in advance. If we cannot fix this issue then I feel we have no choice but to get rid of the car.

One long shot is a cracked brake pad. Our previous car (not a Ford) had a problem with one rear pad shearing off the backing plate. That interfered with the pad retracting and seating properly when brakes were applied.  It also made a clunking noise that was louder than expected. Just a thought.

Or, what about a kinked brake line?

Unfortunately, it sounds like you have one of the bad hydraulic control units that were a problem with 2008MY Fusions/Milans/MKZs.  The problem is a sticking control valve that doesn't close after an ABS event.  A new HCU is expensive.

See this video.

One long shot is a cracked brake pad. Our previous car (not a Ford) had a problem with one rear pad shearing off the backing plate. That interfered with the pad retracting and seating properly when brakes were applied.  It also made a clunking noise that was louder than expected. Just a thought.

Or, what about a kinked brake line?

Thanks for the suggestion, however I just replaced the pads and rotors less than a month ago, but the issue has existed for months before then. 

Unfortunately, it sounds like you have one of the bad hydraulic control units that were a problem with 2008MY Fusions/Milans/MKZs.  The problem is a sticking control valve that doesn't close after an ABS event.  A new HCU is expensive.

See this video.

Thank you for this! I kept hearing that there was some defect but couldn't get a straight answer. This looks liek the answer to my problem. Now, whether I want to pay that much to fix it is the question.

Thank you for this! I kept hearing that there was some defect but couldn't get a straight answer. This looks liek the answer to my problem. Now, whether I want to pay that much to fix it is the question.

Maybe there's a rebuilt or aftermarket unit at lower cost.  A used unit could be risky.