Sign in to follow this  
darkstar

Something new in the works

Hmmmmm, I wonder what this could be.......

9JhOLae.jpg

You do some nice work!  More pics and details please!!

Radiator?  I Guess

Radiator?  I Guess

Looks more like an intercooler to me.

Definitely a front mount intercooler.

Correct. Biggest Garrett core that will fit in stock location. I'm drawing up end tanks and will start cutting, bending and welding soon. I'm expecting big gains from this as the stock unit is paper light.

Ah must be nice to fabricate one's own projects. I'm waiting for C-PE to get around with their Fusion Sport variant, as it should cross fit without issue (both vehicles use the same exact Intercooler)

Will you be removing the active grill shutters? The other object is the adaptive cruise control radar module.

Edited by Zalvern

No this intercooler will fit in stock location and retain grill shutters and cruise control.

Correct. Biggest Garrett core that will fit in stock location. I'm drawing up end tanks and will start cutting, bending and welding soon. I'm expecting big gains from this as the stock unit is paper light.

I'm anxious to see what the results will be.  The car really suffers with heat.  A bigger IC has to help.  It's a bonus that it will fit in the stock location.

Oh man! Got the new intercooler on and what a difference! The top end pull is hard and doesn't fall off majorly like it used to. Only got to do one pull to about 90 mph, and iat 2 never went above 129 degrees! I was seeing over 200 degrees on the stock ic.

That is a big improvement! What is next on your list?

Interesting...if you can recall, what was the Ambient Temperature during that run?

Interesting...if you can recall, what was the Ambient Temperature during that run?

This is a pull from this morning to 105 mph

shFgd27.png

Edited by darkstar

A matching IAT2 line in conjunction with IAT is exactly what I like to see. The stock intercooler still results in rough spikes and such, causes IAT2 to become erratic from an efficient and optimized IAT reading.

I've achieved some awesome improvements myself, but the FMIC is still the weakest link and causes my IAT2 readings to get more erractic even during day to day driving. Harsh and delayed shifts are related to poor air temperatures which is what gets most people thinking the transmission shifting is a dog (its not really if its working right).

Graph of mine from a Cold Start and drive: Best part was getting IAT readings even lower than Ambient. You have an excellent CAI going if you achieve that. All it took was a little extra flame retardant padding.

post-1860-0-05633800-1504397604_thumb.jpg

After running around errands and such and starting up the MKZ after sitting (and heat soaking), a warmed up logging and how better my air temperatures can recover when under load and driving:

post-1860-0-15532600-1504397613_thumb.jpg

This without having an efficient FMIC, is extremely impressive compared to stock. It's hard to share even in video because has to be experienced in person how much more improved the 3.0T MKZ is after with just fluid and bolt on improvements.

Idling will always cause temps to rise no matter what, given how cramped everything is and so heat soak comes quickly. The more important thing with the 3.0T is how fast it recovers from heat soak and cools air flow within the intake system's internals as engine load is applied. The challenging part is of course, keeping heat where heat needs to be and where things need to stay cool, especially in this limited sized vehicle.

I look forward to acquiring this FMIC to use with the rest of my improvements. Thanks darkstar, and glad to have met another 3.0T MKZ performance seeker.  ;)

Glad I could help out! The car is so much better with the new cooler

Took the car to the track last night to test out the new intercooler and wow is all I can say! It ran a 12.81@107.89 at 8000 ft DA. Thats .8 of a second and 6 mph faster than the stock intercooler went!!!

ECeR39m.jpg

Absolutely amazing what a mere hardware upgrade does for the 3.0T. No E30, Methanol Injection, Exhaust Mods, weight reduction etc. Yet pump gas only. 11 second car rank status.

Now this is what I call a sleeper. Just a few cooling improvement mods over stock and bam. Catches up to CTS-V levels stupidly quick, yet keeps all the ride comfort and benefits of a daily driver Lincoln.

Thanks darkstar for creating the key ingredient that'll turn this Lincoln into a hot rod on demand!

Edited by Zalvern

You're welcome dude! Can't wait to see what you run at sea level!

Wow!  That's got to be the most bolt-on hp per dollar improvement ever.

Hah, I'll definitely go for a strip run as US131 shows some Saturday T&T days in October. I will probably have my winter tires on due to temperatures dropping faster up in MI.

The blizzaks LM001 will work for having a 98V speed rating at least, but of course I do not want to degrade them quicker than intended.

I will do at least 3 passes.

Wow!  That's got to be the most bolt-on hp per dollar improvement ever.

I believe it is! I know out of the tens of thousands I've spent on car modifications its rare to only spend this little amount of money for such a huge gain. Nitrous is the only thing that compares for HP per dollar and its much more dangerous. 

Hah, I'll definitely go for a strip run as US131 shows some Saturday T&T days in October. I will probably have my winter tires on due to temperatures dropping faster up in MI.

The blizzaks LM001 will work for having a 98V speed rating at least, but of course I do not want to degrade them quicker than intended.

I will do at least 3 passes.

Excellent cant wait. 

That is amazing!

This is seriously impressive! Nice work darkstar!! And at 8,000 ft DA. Is there even oxygen in the air under those conditions? Lol. This 3.0l engine is a beast.

Edited by Airflow

Awesome job darkstar.  Are your only mods the tune and the intercooler?  What about CAI?  I was thinking about this one:

http://www.stage3motorsports.com/555-3214-2017-Fusion-Sport-Steeda-Twin-Turbo-Cold-Air-Intake.html

Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket intercooler available like the one you made?  (Are you producing more to sell?)

Thanks

Edited by crushalot

Darkstar makes a pretty sweet looking cold air intake for the Z.

Edited by Airflow