caddydaddy25

2014 Lincoln MKZ with 2017 MKZ FCIM installed

Well guys, I took the dive and installed the newer FCIM in my MKZ. I really hated the fcim that was in the car because it lacked physical buttons and knobs. To anyone interested in doing this, please know that there are some modifications involved to get everything to look decent. If anyone in interested, let me know and I'll go further in depth on what I had to do. I'm so much happier with my car now that I have sync 3 and actual buttons to press. I will post pics in a few once I figure how to properly post them.

Yes, please share. This sounds interesting!

But these are the after pictures.

20170722 084030

20170722 084106

Edited by caddydaddy25

The dealer wanted $1100 for the fcim, but I found one on carparts.com for $300. Once you remove the old fcim, there is a bracket around the disc receiver that have to be removed in order to get the new fcim to seat properly. Removing that bracket will not cause any harm to anything. That was the easy part of the installation. Once you get the new fcim installed, you'll see where the modifications are needed at right away. The trim pieces on the newer fcim's are cut at a different angle than our original ones as u can see in the pictures. What we had to do was cut the tips off of my original fcim trim panel and we used a plastic bonding glue to attach the pieces to the new trim panel. Then we sanded it down real good and repainted the trim pieces.

20170707 224809

20170707 224745

Edited by caddydaddy25

Once done, I dyed the fcim black in order to somewhat match my cup holder assembly

Impressive craftsmanship!

As to the sideways photos. If you are using an iPhone, turn off Live Photos before taking the pictures and try reposting.

I'm using android. The pictures are positioned correctly in my photo gallery, but when I attach and upload them on here, they upload sideways

I'm not sure with Android. Wish I could help more.

How did you "dye" the center stack?

I removed everything from the fcim until it was bare. Then I sprayed it with a prep in order to remove any grease or debris. Then I sprayed a few coats of dye on it. I waited about 10 minutes between each coat.

Nice work.  Sync 3 blows Sync 2 out of the water.

I strongly agree. I wish all of it could get it because it's awesome. It's a

Capacitive touchscreen so you don't have to press hard to make an input. It's better at handling fingerprints. It's snappier. Just all around better.

This swap is also being done with the Fusions as well, and a very good way to honestly...INCREASE the value of a 2013 - 2016 (without Sync 3) if its done right. Especially if the vehicle is beyond its warranty.

The only reason Ford and Lincoln won't do it (offer a upgrade program), is because they much rather sell a newer car to a customer. It's worth even a few thousand bucks if it improves the quality of life for your vehicle, and are happy with a 2013 to 2016 model beyond Sync 3.

I see perforated leather - does the new panel have accommodations for cooled seats or is that via touchscreen only?

The particular panel that I have doesn't have the buttons for the cooled seats, so I have to use the touchscreen for mine. But there are panels out there that does have the buttons for them. As a matter of fact, I found a guy yesterday that have a panel with the touchscreen and navigation APIM for $500 if anyone is interested. The panel have the cooled seat buttons on it If I recall correctly, I don't think my original panel had a button for the cooled seats. With that said, the wiring harness that controls that section probably doesn't have the wires in it to support pressing a button to activate them so the buttons on the new panel may not activate the cooled seat. I'm not 100% sure about it, but that's what I'm thinking. If someone is looking just for sync 3 upgrade, this would be a good deal for them because I'm sure those guys will sell the screen and apim for probably around $300.

Screenshot 2017 07 27 09 49 02 1 (1)

Edited by caddydaddy25

On carparts.com, what do you look under?

Can someone come up with a list of parts needed?

Edited by Chris109

any update to this yet?  parts list and how to search on carparts.com or car-part.com?

TIA

I just want to swap in a Sync 2 with Nav.. non cooled seats and non heated steering wheel.. 

I don't understand Tony . . . U don't need to swap APIM's for Nav . . .

Wow, I would love to be able to do this in my 2013. If I could find all of the parts for $300 I would certainly give it a try. Was everything plug and play? Did you have to get the FCIM reprogrammed or anything?