Custom Search

Welcome to the Lincoln MKZ Forum - home of the Lincoln MKZ Club

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Lincoln MKZ Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry, this is a simple and free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Lincoln MKZ Forum by signing up for a free account today and enjoy these benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos
  • Receive special offers and discounts
  • Invitations to events. . .and more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Check out the Lincoln Continental Forum Here.

Photo
- - - - -

New Battery

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ctrcbob

ctrcbob

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationFlorida
  • My MKZ's Year:Decline
  • My MKZ: mymkz
  • Current Vehicle:2011 MKZ, 2013 Avalon Limited

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:43 PM

While out having my normal morning coffee at one of the local coffee shops, I got a call from my wife who told me that the battery in her MKZ was dead. Drove home, and sure enough, it was dead. Had enough power for the headlights, but not enough to spin the engine over.

Put it on my charger for ten minutes. Brought the battery up enough to start the car. Drove to my Lincoln Dealer, and they installed a new Motorcraft battery. Car only has 10,000 miles on it.

(My SHO also had the battery go a couple months ago, with about 34,000 miles on it).

Service Advisor says that batteries go because of our HOT Florida summers. Yes, I believe it. The engine compartment in both cars get HOT and cooks the battery.

Both were replaced under warranty.

BTW, I like my Lincoln Dealer Service Department. I have my SHO serviced there also.

Edit --- Update on dealer.... I now HATE them since they cheated my wife and me when we had tire problems. Now I find their service department and service writer(s) are thieves. I will no longer go to them again. When the time comes to trade my present MKZ, probably for a 2014 MKZ, it will not be at Plaza Lincoln in Leesburg. I posted about this in another thread so I won't go into to it here, but believe me, their service writer(s) is a scumbag.

Edited by ctrcbob, 10 October 2013 - 06:16 PM.

CTRC USN Ret.
Mt. Dora, FL (It Could Be Worse)
Penfield, NY (A Nice Suburb)
Roswell, NM (Alien Central)

2015 Sonata Sport 2.0T Limited
2017 Continental Select

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 robertlane

robertlane

New MKZ Member

• Moderators
  • 447 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationDearborn, MI
  • Current Vehicle:GT500KR, E350, Shelby Terlingua

Posted 08 September 2012 - 11:40 PM

While out having my normal morning coffee at one of the local coffee shops, I got a call from my wife who told me that the battery in her MKZ was dead. Drove home, and sure enough, it was dead. Had enough power for the headlights, but not enough to spin the engine over.

Put it on my charger for ten minutes. Brought the battery up enough to start the car. Drove to my Lincoln Dealer, and they installed a new Motorcraft battery. Car only has 10,000 miles on it.

(My SHO also had the battery go a couple months ago, with about 34,000 miles on it).

Service Advisor says that batteries go because of our HOT Florida summers. Yes, I believe it. The engine compartment in both cars get HOT and cooks the battery.

BTW, I like my Lincoln Dealer Service Department. I have my SHO serviced there also.

I grew up in Florida and the humidity is brutal. I'd take our 110-degree heat here in Nevada over the 90-degree Florida heat any day. My E350 lost it's battery last year; although, it's a 2006.

Lincoln MKZ Forum

#3 ctrcbob

ctrcbob

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:58 PM

I've been in Phoenix when the temp was 110 and 5% RH. My wife thought it was hot until I showed her how to cool off in the desert.

Many many years ago, I was stationed in the middle east, and an old British RAF Sergeant told me the trick of staying cool in that climate. "Drink a hot cup of tea" is what he said. (In my case, it would be a hot cup of coffee). Sounds crazy, but it works, because something hot, like coffee or tea would tend to make you sweat, however the air out there is so dry, the sweat evaporates immediatly. The process of evaporation cools, so you cool down. (Swampcoolers out in the American SouthWest work on the same principle, water in the cooler evaporates, evaporation cools, and the cooled air is blown into your house).

90/90 is normal in my part of Florida. The good thing about high humidity is that it keeps your skin moist and as you get older, we don't get the "crows feet" around our eyes and mouth, like those who live out there where it is dry.

As for the batteries in both my SHO and my MKZ, they are both in the engine compartment, and inside the compartment, it is HOT.
CTRC USN Ret.

2017 Continental Select

#4 Rusty Boltz

Rusty Boltz

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationFort Worth, TX
  • My MKZ's Year:2008
  • Current Vehicle:2013 MKS

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:00 AM

My battery died a few months ago. I bought the car used, and it turns out that the battery was a Motorcraft, but not the original. It was 35 months old, and warranteed for 36 month free replacement. I took it to my local Ford dealer where I get the car serviced, and got a free replacement.

#5 robertlane

robertlane

New MKZ Member

• Moderators
  • 447 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationDearborn, MI
  • Current Vehicle:GT500KR, E350, Shelby Terlingua

Posted 09 October 2013 - 11:31 AM

My battery died a few months ago. I bought the car used, and it turns out that the battery was a Motorcraft, but not the original. It was 35 months old, and warranteed for 36 month free replacement. I took it to my local Ford dealer where I get the car serviced, and got a free replacement.

Wow - with one month to go to qualify for the FREE replacement  :rockon:

Lincoln MKZ Forum

#6 John M Young

John M Young

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationHampton Roads USA
  • My MKZ's Year:2014
  • Current Vehicle:MKZ 2014

Posted 16 October 2013 - 04:02 PM

Edit --- Update on dealer.... I now HATE them since they cheated my wife and me when we had tire problems. Now I find their service department and service writer(s) are thieves. I will no longer go to them again. When the time comes to trade my present MKZ, probably for a 2014 MKZ, it will not be at Plaza Lincoln in Leesburg. I posted about this in another thread so I won't go into to it here, but believe me, their service writer(s) is a scumbag.

Unless they changed it for 2014...I don't understand how the engine compartment getting hot could cook the 12 volt battery. The 12volt  battery in my 2014 MKZ is in the trunk.

#7 ctrcbob

ctrcbob

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:17 PM

Unless they changed it for 2014...I don't understand how the engine compartment getting hot could cook the 12 volt battery. The 12volt battery in my 2014 MKZ is in the trunk.

Prior to the 2013's (2006-2012) the battery is under the hood, and it gets HOT under there. Heat kills these batteries.

Edited by ctrcbob, 18 October 2013 - 07:31 AM.

CTRC USN Ret.

2017 Continental Select

#8 Rusty Boltz

Rusty Boltz

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts
  • LocationFort Worth, TX

Posted 18 October 2013 - 02:11 AM

The battery in my '08 has an insulation blanket on it.

#9 ctrcbob

ctrcbob

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 18 October 2013 - 07:32 AM

Prior to the 2013's (2006-2012) the battery is under the hood, and it gets HOT under there. Heat kills these batteries.

CTRC USN Ret.

2017 Continental Select

#10 John P

John P

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationWalnut Creek, CA
  • My MKZ's Year:2010
  • Current Vehicle:Lincoln MKZ

Posted 04 June 2014 - 04:55 PM

Was the insulation blanket original equipment?

#11 Rusty Boltz

Rusty Boltz

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts
  • LocationFort Worth, TX

Posted 05 June 2014 - 10:02 AM

Was the insulation blanket original equipment?

I don't know. I bought the car used.

#12 Grey_Reserve

Grey_Reserve

• Lincoln MKZ Club Member
  • 5 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationLittleton
  • My MKZ's Year:2015
  • Current Vehicle:MKZ Reserve

Posted 14 May 2018 - 07:04 PM

My CPO15 had the battery slowly die. Took it to The dealer and got a free replacement under the bumper-to-bumper remaining warranty. Have to say I was impressed.
The concierge arraigned a quick jump too. Good thing as we just bought groceries when it died.
Nice to see Lincoln standing behind the MKZ!

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·