Sign in to follow this  
Steve Lee

2010 left tail light

The left tail light recently went out on my 2010 MKZ and I've heard a lot about this being a common problem due to some fault with the circuit board? Has anyone repaired this themselves rather than replace the $350.00 assembly? I wonder if this couldn't be as simple as a solder that shook loose and could be repaired?

Dealer will replace them for free. The letter explaining it should be on the way.

Yes, what a coincidence, I got the letter today!!

Hi Steve,

Can you share details about the letter?

I also have a 2010 with tail light issues.

Left only lights the center row even when brakes are applied.

Right has all three rows on bright (as if brakes were applied) as soon as lights are turned on.

Thanks!

Rich

Blah blah blah. Dealer replaces them for no cost for 10 years.

My 2010 MKZ has a taillight out but I am told it is not covered. It is not the outer taillight, its the inner taillight portion on the trunk... Anyone else having this issue??

Uh, that's usually just a bulb. Either climb in the trunk on your back, or just feel around and twist the assembly out. Should be less than ten bucks at ORielys.

There are no replaceable bulbs in that assembly.  They went to LEDs for the inner panel in 2010.

There are used ones for sale on ebay.picture4ui6.png

Yes, they are LED to the tune of $400 for the inner taillight assembly... Not happy!

Thank you!! Will check them out!

Hi, I just found this forum and this post. Seems that some dealers are charging for the repairs. Is it possible you could post a copy of the letter from Ford offering to cover repairs for 10 years here on the forum? It would be very helpful. Thanks.

Mike

Steve,

Could you please post a copy of the letter you received from Ford offering to repair the taillight issue (or send me a copy if you dont want to post it)?  Many thanks.

Mike

Never mind Steve, I found the info. For other readers, it is TSB 14M03 issued March 2013 and it offers extended warranty coverage on the taillights component for 10 years or 150,000 miles from date of initial service. What I'm wondering is did they improve the defective component? (let's hope so).

Nevermind posting the letter, I found the info. See my post above to Steve. Thanks anyway.

Mike