Custom Search

Welcome to the Lincoln MKZ Forum - home of the Lincoln MKZ Club

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Lincoln MKZ Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry, this is a simple and free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Lincoln MKZ Forum by signing up for a free account today and enjoy these benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos
  • Receive special offers and discounts
  • Invitations to events. . .and more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Check out the Lincoln Continental Forum Here.

Photo
- - - - -

Wheel locks , Ahhhhhhh !

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 jimflutes

jimflutes

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationStockbridge , MA
  • My MKZ's Year:2016
  • My MKZ: mymkz
  • Current Vehicle:2016 MKZh

Posted 06 October 2017 - 04:54 PM

So I purchased the 2016 MKZh used that came with the very expensive 19 inch. rims . I wanted to put on a/s tires that were rated better for snow (Pirelli P7 plus ,$140 off at Lincoln) than what it came with (Michelin mxm3) which I have sold if I can get them off. Now when I brought it over to Lincoln to have the new tires put on they find that  they cannot get the wheel locks on the rims off. They tried 10 different lock keys that would not work. So I have to being the car back next week so they can very carefully drill them out , they said the rims cost $1200 each. I do not live in an area ( a farm) that is known for stolen cars and car rims , they told me that the locks would not stop tire thieves if they really wanted them anyway. 

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 MediumWilly22

MediumWilly22

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationWashington D.C.
  • My MKZ's Year:2014
  • Current Vehicle:Lincoln MKZ 3.7L AWD

Posted 06 October 2017 - 08:09 PM

They won't stop thieves but they seem to confound your dealer's mechanic. Drilling them is excessively intrusive and possibly damaging to your wheels and hub assembly. Not to mention time consuming and expensive. It would take me about 5 seconds to bust those off with my damaged bolt removal socket. They would have to be replaced afterwards, of course.
  • drolds1 likes this

#3 drolds1

drolds1

New MKZ Member

• Moderators
  • 907 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationLI, NY
  • My MKZ's Year:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2017 MKZ 3.0T AWD Sport Package

Posted 07 October 2017 - 02:19 AM

Seriously?  There are specialized tools for this.   Here's one example.  There are plenty of DIY methods on YouTube as well.

Try a tire shop.  They're more likely to have experience with this.  I agree with MediumWilly22.  Don't let them drill.  If those are Ford OE locking lugs made by MCGard, they're made of hardened and tempered steel.

#4 jimflutes

jimflutes

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 10:00 AM

Well just talk to the old timers at the local tire shop , they recommenced drilling them out. So I now called the service manager at Lincoln dealership , he said he is having more wheel locks sent to him but if they do not work they will have  to be drilled out. Today is Sat. I am going in on Tues. to see what happens. I looked at the youtube DIY and the service manager is aware of them but said they would not work with these aftermarket locks .

#5 MediumWilly22

MediumWilly22

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 12:30 PM

That's bull crap. https://www.google.c...7,sgro:iv,mvi:0
This guy will do the trick. Hammer that thing on and that wheel lock doesn't stand a chance. Return to that dealership at your own risk! Once again BULL CRAP!
  • drolds1 likes this

#6 drolds1

drolds1

New MKZ Member

• Moderators
  • 907 posts
  • LocationLI, NY

Posted 07 October 2017 - 12:41 PM

If you're going to let them drill,  who's going to be responsible if the drill slips and they damage a wheel or a stud needs to be replaced?

What brand are the wheel locks?  Contact the mfr. for a replacement key or advice on how to remove them w/o a key.

#7 jimflutes

jimflutes

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 06:58 PM

Well it is a very interested situation. I looked real close at the the locks but saw no manufacture on them , the Lincoln manager said they are after market , I am trying to download pictures but cannot so far. This service manager at the dealership is a very likeable person and seems like he is realty trying to get this right. I will go in Tues. morning and see what his plan is , hopefully he will have come up with the correct lock keys. When I purchased the car used I had no idea that it had the lock nuts and I really never had any experience with these things and I think the salesperson did not know it because they gave me all the manuals that came with it. I probably caused this problem because  on my 2013 MKZ that I traded in , I took out the foam insert for the flat tire and replaced it with a spare tire.  So when I picked the 2016 MKZ I took out the flat tire foam insert and replaced it with my spare tire from the 2013. I'll bet the lock key was in that foam insert that I replaced !!!

#8 MediumWilly22

MediumWilly22

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 09:32 PM

Once again. This is no big deal. Do not drill! Its not that interesting, I've been through it a hundred times. Whatever, I give up... :( Good luck

#9 jimflutes

jimflutes

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 05:40 PM

well here they are , tomorrow I go to Lincoln , hopefully they have come up with the lock keys.

#10 jimflutes

jimflutes

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 05:41 PM

Deleted by moderator.  Duplicate post.

Edited by drolds1, 10 October 2017 - 01:48 AM.

#11 jimflutes

jimflutes

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 02:30 PM

OK , The Lincoln mechanics did not want to drill so they "hammered off the locking lug nuts".  They did a great job ,no damage on three rims and a very small scratch on the inside of one lug hole , I am very satisfied.  The cost was 153.00 and replaced all lugs. So you were all right in suggesting not to drill. Of course the lesson learned is no locking lug nuts ever !  Thank you all.

Attached Files

#12 Izzy3906

Izzy3906

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Club Member
  • 84 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationKilleen, TX
  • Current Vehicle:Lincoln MKZ Smoked Quartz

Posted 11 October 2017 - 02:59 PM

Glad to hear that it all turned out good, now enjoy the ride.

2014 Lincoln MKZ Smoked Quartz

images4.png

images7.jpg

IZZY'S SHOWROOM

#13 drolds1

drolds1

New MKZ Member

• Moderators
  • 907 posts
  • LocationLI, NY

Posted 11 October 2017 - 03:26 PM

OK , The Lincoln mechanics did not want to drill so they "hammered off the locking lug nuts".  They did a great job ,no damage on three rims and a very small scratch on the inside of one lug hole , I am very satisfied.  The cost was 153.00 and replaced all lugs. So you were all right in suggesting not to drill. Of course the lesson learned is no locking lug nuts ever !  Thank you all.

Well, not without the key, anyway. ;)

Glad it worked out.  BTW, how did they "hammer" them off?

#14 MediumWilly22

MediumWilly22

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 04:52 PM

Yeah, drilling a lug nut is super labor-intensive. The idea there is to drill the stud out from the inside of the nut. The length of a stud would require you to drill for a long period of time and probably go through at least five bits per. My estimate for that job...

1- hr labor and $20 misc. equipment charge per wheel (and would probably still lose cash on bits)
1- hr labor to replace (4) lug studs (I've actually done this for my wheel spacers. I had to separate the axle from the hub to get the clearance to remove the studs from the hub)
Cost of the (4) studs $20
Cost of the hub assembly $200? (Cost incurred for the failure of the tech to drill a perfect 90-degree angle at the exact dead center of the rounded top of the lug nut for the entire length of the lug nut stud and resulting damage to the stud seat on the hub). High % chance this cost is incurred four times.
1-hr labor for those hub assemblies.
Total, between $1000 -$2000 plus possible damage to your wheels.

Finding a someone stupid enough to try....priceless.

The brute force technique is the more civilized way in this case. I would've taken an old socket just slightly smaller than the locking lug and hammered it on. A nice long breaker bar and slow even pressure. Gone in 60 sec. No doubt, I've done it many times.

#15 jimflutes

jimflutes

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 06:59 PM

This is way I would guess that they did it. You know I was so happy with the results that I left it like that. The hammer off locking lug nuts - sub total: 153.31 was how it was typed in the bill. They put 4 19inch. Pirelli P7 a/s plus tires with alignment , mount and bal., and got the locking lugs off for 1060.00 total  (there was a 140.00 Pirelli rebate) , then washed the car !  On top of it I was able to sell the tires that came off on the local Craig's list for 400.00. And now that I think of it I have never heard of anyone I know that had their tires and rims stolen.  

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·