Custom Search

Welcome to the Lincoln MKZ Forum - home of the Lincoln MKZ Club

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Lincoln MKZ Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry, this is a simple and free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Lincoln MKZ Forum by signing up for a free account today and enjoy these benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos
  • Receive special offers and discounts
  • Invitations to events. . .and more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Check out the Lincoln Continental Forum Here.

Photo
- - - - -

Something new in the works

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 darkstar

darkstar

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationAlbuquerque
  • My MKZ's Year:Decline
  • My MKZ: mymkz
  • Current Vehicle:2017 MKZ 3.0

Posted 10 September 2017 - 12:59 PM

Wow!  That's got to be the most bolt-on hp per dollar improvement ever.

I believe it is! I know out of the tens of thousands I've spent on car modifications its rare to only spend this little amount of money for such a huge gain. Nitrous is the only thing that compares for HP per dollar and its much more dangerous. 

Hah, I'll definitely go for a strip run as US131 shows some Saturday T&T days in October. I will probably have my winter tires on due to temperatures dropping faster up in MI.

The blizzaks LM001 will work for having a 98V speed rating at least, but of course I do not want to degrade them quicker than intended.

I will do at least 3 passes.

Excellent cant wait. 

2017 Lincoln MKZ 3.0TT AWD

2000 Mustang GT, 4.6 4V , Twin 6466's, Glide, Megasquirt 3, E85. 8.78@160

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 brucelinc

brucelinc

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationMinnesota
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Continental Reserve 3.0

Posted 10 September 2017 - 06:52 PM

That is amazing!

#23 Airflow

Airflow

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationCT
  • My MKZ's Year:None
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T AWD Driver's Package

Posted 11 September 2017 - 06:48 AM

This is seriously impressive! Nice work darkstar!! And at 8,000 ft DA. Is there even oxygen in the air under those conditions? Lol. This 3.0l engine is a beast.

Edited by Airflow, 11 September 2017 - 09:05 AM.

#24 crushalot

crushalot

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationRaleigh
  • Current Vehicle:2017 MKZ 3.0T AWD Drivers, Tech, Luxury Packages

Posted 11 September 2017 - 08:06 AM

Awesome job darkstar.  Are your only mods the tune and the intercooler?  What about CAI?  I was thinking about this one:

http://www.stage3mot...Air-Intake.html

Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket intercooler available like the one you made?  (Are you producing more to sell?)

Thanks

Edited by crushalot, 11 September 2017 - 08:15 AM.

#25 Airflow

Airflow

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationCT
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T AWD Driver's Package

Posted 11 September 2017 - 09:04 AM

Darkstar makes a pretty sweet looking cold air intake for the Z.

Edited by Airflow, 11 September 2017 - 03:27 PM.

#26 Zalvern

Zalvern

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts
  • LocationOh
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T Black Label

Posted 11 September 2017 - 02:26 PM

You can get the Steeda one and will need to modify it (hood strut will hit it otherwise, so use a dremel and hot knife), as I use it and with some thermal padding it works great! I get real close to ambient with IAT1 readings, which are also important to the PCM. It does measure both IAT1 and IAT2 to make educated predictions to timing control.

If I did not already have the Steeda Fusion CAI, I would of bought darkstar's CAI instead to support the smaller independent shop personally. He will tailor it exactly to the MKZ from the get go so you won't have to fight with it to fit like with the Steeda one.

Darkstar is using Livernois' firm shift tune along with these mods. Though I'm sure the intercooler would be helpful on stock too, it just wouldn't be as mind blowing since the PCM is more strict (it will like seeing the lower temps regardless).

Edited by Zalvern, 12 September 2017 - 01:02 AM.

#27 darkstar

darkstar

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque

Posted 11 September 2017 - 08:51 PM

I'd like to see the gains on a stock car, I bet it will be a pretty huge gain. 

#28 brucelinc

brucelinc

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 12 September 2017 - 08:21 AM

I have seen IAT 2 readings of 185 at the track with my Continental.   That is at least 40 degrees higher than I ever saw with my MKS.   I assume the intercooler is the same for the MKZ and Continental.  There is much room for improvement!

#29 darkstar

darkstar

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque

Posted 12 September 2017 - 09:09 AM

I have seen IAT 2 readings of 185 at the track with my Continental.   That is at least 40 degrees higher than I ever saw with my MKS.   I assume the intercooler is the same for the MKZ and Continental.  There is much room for improvement!

Im betting it is the same, you should look and find out for us lol

#30 Zalvern

Zalvern

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts
  • LocationOh

Posted 12 September 2017 - 01:26 PM

G3G3-6K775-BB

That is the stock Intercooler's part ID. The sticker is found on top. It is found in our sedan type transverse 2.7 and 3.0 engine vehicles. With the Continental being a "stretched CD4", it is the same (I verified it via fordparts.com help).

Always cheaper for OEM to use as many shared parts as possible from the "parts bin", as long it meets standards of intended daily use.

Edited by Zalvern, 13 September 2017 - 01:26 AM.

#31 Zalvern

Zalvern

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts
  • LocationOh

Posted 25 September 2017 - 06:59 AM

Going to cross post my tale as I finallyhave darkstar's Intercooler installed.

...I probably had the worst time ever finishing the install. Yet despite even feeling fully prepared as I had everything and even chose to remove the front bumper instead to install the Intercooler itself, which is far more easier to manipulate and remove the stock core. Charge pipes were being unruly however after going for a test run...

The hot side charge pipes kept blowing off the Intercooler over and over and over. Even though it was the cold side I was worried about as it couldn't reach all the way into the coupler, but it has served fine.

After 4 blow off pipes when test driving (and thus having to get under the car again each time), I was so done with removing the undershield and fighting with the hot side pipes. Ended up taking off the entire hot side pipes for both turbos, dismantling the worm clamps of those awful little grip clips, and changed how I connected the pipes to the Intercooler (by starting with the Intercooler and ending with the turbocharger). Cleaned all pipes with alcohol to ensure any oily residue is gone. At least this let me change the direction the clamps face, as the factory always tries to make clamp access more difficult than it needs to be.

That being said, no fault with the Intercooler itself. Installing it was no issue. I had to delete the second cover shield that hooks to the radiator support bar and active grill shutter shroud. There is no way that piece would fit along with the regular cover shield. I think this is an extra piece only on MKZs however, so won't apply to the Fusion Sport.

It was a lot more troubleshooting effort than I expected. But in the end...

It was all worth it. My god. A real modern hot rod Lincoln. Has awakened!!

Did a FORScan log and that moment when I saw IAT2 = Ambient when at full throttle was glorious (As well IAT1 and CACT matching Ambient too). So much boost, and the shifting from 1st to 5th was the best I've ever gotten. No power bog, shift flares, or timing pulls...nothing but true effortless performance.

My Intake system is finally in a good spot now. Thank you Ultimate Performance! Now I can't wait to have fun at a drag strip.
  • drolds1 likes this

#32 darkstar

darkstar

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque

Posted 25 September 2017 - 09:08 AM

Great news! I cant wait to see your performance results! Time for some 11's!!!!

#33 brucelinc

brucelinc

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 26 September 2017 - 09:13 AM

Is there any danger of this being TOO efficient?  Early F150 Ecoboosts had condensation issues supposedly due to intercoolers doing too good of a job.  Not knocking this product...just curious.

#34 Zalvern

Zalvern

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts
  • LocationOh

Posted 26 September 2017 - 04:43 PM

Nah I think thats a great question. Its even better to say we wont have to worry because our engines get hotter than those 1st gen 3.5L engines.

Given how fast this engine heats up and holds onto heat, I doubt it since also this Intercooler does not rip apart having shrouds and shutters in place. An Intercooler does not need to be fully exposed to do its job. If anything the Ultimate Performance Intercooler reduces its length compared to the stock core yet allows for more end tank volume. The core itself gains a bit more height instead.

While the Intercooler is effective, the important thing is it does not sacrifice the air shrouds and active grille shutters, which do help control heat and reduce rapid temperature changes. So incoming air does not cool things that do not need to be cooled. If the shrouds are removed, the hot side pipes will be exposed. While in a race car setting this wouldn't matter, but for a daily driver it obviously does.

This Intercooler is doing a great job at keeping its hot half toasty without rapid temperature drops on that side. But its so much better that with foward motion and all the much better aluminum fins, heat has so many options to transfer out it goes away from the time air enters the cold side between

An "all cold" (what is called too efficient) intercooler is just as bad as an "all hot" intercooler. Our Stock core is "all hot" that its heat will reach the entire cold side and make it toasty under load which hurts performance since timing will be pulled to avoid detonation risks. An all cold intercooler does the opposite, and starts cooling the hot charge pipes even which is when a too big of a core is use. That's what happened with those F-150s as its unexpected rapid temperature change when the air flow stops and the heat hits back hard, then cools back down as the vehicle sits. Being bigger vehicles the heat doesnt trap as well either so it escapes quicker. Thus you may get enough water condensation to be damaging enough to limp the motor.

Hopefully that helps explain things. I may come back later to edit this post more clearly.
  • MediumWilly22 likes this

#35 drolds1

drolds1

New MKZ Member

• Moderators
  • 941 posts
  • LocationLI, NY
  • Current Vehicle:2017 MKZ 3.0T AWD Sport Package

Posted 26 September 2017 - 06:11 PM

Hah! The Buick Regal t-type didn't even have an intercooler until 1986.

#36 Zalvern

Zalvern

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts
  • LocationOh

Posted 26 September 2017 - 07:38 PM

I should mention my experience driving back up to Michigan from Ohio. A good 5 hour drive experience with the Intercooler.

Absolute. Effortless. Performance. For the entire trip. It really is a mind blowing feel how smooth and powerful it is. Intercooler was a game changer. But upgraded throttle body and CAI help perfect it completely.

I love this MKZ.

#37 crushalot

crushalot

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationRaleigh
  • Current Vehicle:2017 MKZ 3.0T AWD Drivers, Tech, Luxury Packages

Posted 27 September 2017 - 08:04 AM

Thanks for the feedback Zalvern.  When you say upgraded throttle body are you just referring to a spacer upgrade or did you replace the entire throttle body?

#38 Zalvern

Zalvern

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts
  • LocationOh

Posted 27 September 2017 - 02:27 PM

Real throttle body upgrades. Both Ford Performance latest 70mm (which matches maximum intake manifold size) and BBK's 65mm.

No idle issues as the car retains its standard idle. Really cleans up the powerband and low end torque remains strong.

Ford Performance's design is beautiful and they help reduce IAT2 temps better thanks to the volume increase.

Of course the price will drive most away. But our stock throttle bodies are purposely choke points with fuel economy in mind.

You can still achieve stock fuel economy and better if you are adept at Pulse and Gliding.

I rank it 4th in intake optimizations, so it is the last piece to consider. But makes all your shifting struggle vanish when all mods are combined.

1. Ultimate Performance Intercooler
2. Diverter Plus Bypass Valve
3. Steeda/Ultimate Performance CAI
4. BBK/Ford Performance Throttle Body

It will cost up to around $2,000 to acquire all these (in new condition). But I find the performance gained ever so worth it.

A tune is not needed for any of them, and the cooling advantages are very beneficial for even stock tune. A stock tune would probably drop to mid-high 12's with Advancetrac off and Driver's Package. Optimizing intake performance is just that powerful.

I'll get to sharing a video just how nice shifts are. Between both automatic and paddle shifting.

Attached Files

Edited by Zalvern, 27 September 2017 - 05:46 PM.

#39 MediumWilly22

MediumWilly22

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationWashington D.C.
  • My MKZ's Year:2014
  • Current Vehicle:Lincoln MKZ 3.7L AWD

Posted 27 September 2017 - 06:38 PM

Dang it. I thought the throttle body thing was my little secret. Guess the cats outta the bag. I have the 73mm BBK for the F150 on my 2014 MKZ. The car performs much differently. Much better. Slight power increase, but the throttle mostly just reacts faster, which does seem to affect the shift points in a positive manner. I've had it installed for about three months with no trouble codes or otherwise negative effects. Nice find Zalvern.
Attached File  IMG_20170805_155022.jpg   120.23KB   0 downloads

#40 Zalvern

Zalvern

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts
  • LocationOh

Posted 27 September 2017 - 09:24 PM

Dang it. I thought the throttle body thing was my little secret. Guess the cats outta the bag. I have the 73mm BBK for the F150 on my 2014 MKZ. The car performs much differently. Much better. Slight power increase, but the throttle mostly just reacts faster, which does seem to affect the shift points in a positive manner. I've had it installed for about three months with no trouble codes or otherwise negative effects. Nice find Zalvern.
attachicon.gifIMG_20170805_155022.jpg

Hah! I felt the same way because I'm the only one who dared to risk trying these throttle bodies on the 3.0.

Honestly many still knock on throttle body upgrades but to me, it was so freaking obvious our stock one is underperforming when it shares with a 4 banger single turbo that has less fuel potential in stock form (the 2.3L Ecoboost).

However you mention 73mm, and I want to say that 70mm is probably the optimal limit. As that is what our Intake Manifold matches. But hey, as long it works without issue.

Few more pictures of the Ford Performance one. Really nice piece though $100 more over BBK's.

But I have my other secrets that I doubt any other has, mind you. Hehe.

Attached Files

Edited by Zalvern, 27 September 2017 - 09:25 PM.

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·