Ouch, that hurts. I've only used mine a handful; of times and haven't had any issues. Accoring to the OM, it can malfunction under certain conditions:
The system may not correctly operate in any of the following conditions:
- You use a spare tire or a tire significantly worn more than the other tires.
- One or more tires are improperly inflated.
- You try to park on a tight curve.
- Something passes between the front bumper and the parking space (a pedestrian or cyclist).
- The edge of the neighboring parked vehicle is high off the ground (for example, a bus, tow truck or flatbed truck).
- The weather conditions are poor (heavy rain, snow, fog, etc).
That damage can be repaired easily. I've had it done and the damage was undetectable after the repair. In fact, the repaired wheel looked better than the other three. Here's a shot of it after the repair. The damage was way worse than yours. Not only was there severe curb rash but the rim was also bent from hitting a pot hole
Edited by drolds1, 10 October 2016 - 01:17 AM.