Internal Water Pump = engine failure

Mark95man

I am researching vehicles all of the time for our next one. Seems like the 3.5 EcoBoost has an internal water pump. When it leaks, it destroys the engine. Water pump replacement runs $2,500, engine replacement run $7,500. Bad news for resale value. Here's a link that could turn your hair grey: https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=424482&highlight=water+pump

All 3.5/3.7 Duratecs have an internal water pump regardless of whether they're Ecoboost or not.  It was designed so that if the pump leaks, coolant should be channeled outside the engine instead of into the oil.

But that drainage is not happening as per https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Ford+EcoBoost+3.5+water+pump+failures

Yes, I'd read that.  Some owners have reported seeing coolant on the ground, though. Of the ones I read about online that failed, they were all high mileage and there was significant noise present.  The guy that posted the thread in Explorer forum kept driving it after he heard the noise.  Even if it's caught in time, it's a major repair.  On some models the engine has to come out.  BTW, Ford isn't the only mfr. that uses an internal water pump.

That said, as a member of this forum, the Ford Fusion and Lincoln MKS Forums for years, I've yet to see a report of a failed water pump with subsequent, catastrophic engine failure.  Maybe Ford has improved the design. 

My MKZ has the 3.5L. About a year ago, the cam phazers went out. They had to pull the engine to do the repair. $2500, but that's the only thing that ever went wrong with this car. I bought it with 20k on the odometer, and it has 70k now. I'm still happy with it, and will be looking at another Lincoln when the time comes.

Edited by Rusty Boltz

http://lincolnforums.com/forums/threads/14056-Failed-Water-Pump-WOW!!

If you think about resale value, like I do, then the problem is not acceptable at all. This will spread just like the 3.5 EcoBoost head carbon problem. Who would want to purchase a 5 year old time bomb that has a costly repair in its future? To replace the water pump, the engine must be removed = $2,300 cost.

Edited by Mark95man

I had my last Lincoln (2000 LS V6) for 15 years. Never had a problem with the water pump. Just saying :)

I owned my purchased new 1970 MARK III for 42 years and replaced the water pump twice. My purchased new 1965 FORD LTD I owned for 45 years, replaced the water pump a few times. Owned a few other cars with water pump issues. My wife's 1995 MGM needed a new water pump-very east to do. All cars were purchased new, maintained and had high miles on them. If I was in the market for a used FoMoCo vehicle and it had the internal water pump, I wouldn't purchase it, From my experience on this Website, most members do not get involved with maintenance or repairs. Our next vehicle will be leased but wondering if the resale will take a hit?

Yes, it's a non-issue only if you don't experience it.

Mark, the "state of the art" has really advanced tremendously since the 60s and 70s. Even then only my 1989 T-Bird with about 111,000 miles on it required a water pump replacement. None of my other LTDs, T-Birds, Granada, Gran Torino Elite, Tempo and my previously mentioned 2000 LS had any water pump problems. They were all purchased new.

I guess you were just "unlucky" to have to replace your high mileage 1970 Mark III's water pump twice in 42 years and your high mileage 1965 LTD a few times over 45 years. ;)

Mark, the "state of the art" has really advanced tremendously since the 60s and 70s. Even then only my 1989 T-Bird with about 111,000 miles on it required a water pump replacement. None of my other LTDs, T-Birds, Granada, Gran Torino Elite, Tempo and my previously mentioned 2000 LS had any water pump problems. They were all purchased new.

I guess you were just "unlucky" to have to replace your high mileage 1970 Mark III's water pump twice in 42 years and your high mileage 1965 LTD a few times over 45 years. ;)

The MARK III leakage was from lack of use as the anti-freeze was changed every 3 years. On the 1965 Ford LTD, once I installed a cast iron water pump, no more leaks. I ran into a "lot" of aluminum water pumps that were defective. Lesson learned--if one leaks do NOT get a replacement from the same lot number. Those pumps were a PIA to change as everything was bolt through that pump.

• 3 years later...

Just found this thread looking for a cooler Thermostat for my wifes 13 MKZ with the 3.7L.

Is this really a common problem. Kinda freaks me out. I know every manufacturer has stupid designs but most can be fixed easy or prevent it.

This seems like your F'd. lol

• 3 weeks later...

Purchased a 2010 mkz at an auction. Drove the car 10 miles before it overheated. When I stopped and let it cool I added water to the reservoir. Turns out the coolant had been drained. When I added the water and drove the mkz the water went to the oil pan. The oil looked like a milkshake. This Mkz has 133,000 miles on it. Yet to decide if I'm changing the engine or just the water pump and timing chain. 

• 3 years later...

Have not been here in a while.

But I just did this job, I purchased a second MKZ AWD to drive in the winter months here in NE Ohio. Car has 254,000 miles on it runs and drives like a new car. But the water pump started leaking out the weep hole in the block, so I parked it until I could get around to fixing it. I to was quoted $2500.00 to fix it from a couple shops. So I decided to tackle it myself. The engine does not have to come out, But you have to remove the Intake, valve covers, motor mount, computer, overflow bottle, tire, wheelhouse, just so you can get to the timing cover, a special tool is required to lock the camshafts in place, about 25,00, job took 18 hours of labor and the parts were very reasonable from Tasca Ford. So for a little over $200,00 I fixed it myself