Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
jimflutes

2018 MKZh tires question .

Recommended Posts

I am going to check out this 2018 Z hybrid select , it only has 5000 miles , what tires does this come with from factory ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, jimflutes said:

I am going to check out this 2018 Z hybrid select , it only has 5000 miles , what tires does this come with from factory ?

 

Hi Jim. The Tire Rack shows 18" and 19" wheels being available from the factory on the 2018 MKZ Hybrid. And they list the Michelin Primacy MXM4 as the factory tire for both.

 

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I had these tires before on my 2013 Z , I did not like them in winter , I will see the car in a week the tires will not be a deal breaker . Thank you for getting me an answer so soon ,do you have these tires and what do you think . I put the Perilli a/s p7  plus ( 18 and 19 inch ) on my first two MKZs and liked them a lot better then the Miches. Jim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jimflutes said:

Well I had these tires before on my 2013 Z , I did not like them in winter , I will see the car in a week the tires will not be a deal breaker . Thank you for getting me an answer so soon ,do you have these tires and what do you think . I put the Perilli a/s p7  plus ( 18 and 19 inch ) on my first two MKZs and liked them a lot better then the Miches. Jim

 

Hi Jim. Yes, I have the Primacy MXM4 on my 2018 MKZ and have been very happy with them.

Coming up on 12,000 miles now. No problems in up to ~4"-5" of snow. In more than that I can not really say...since I don't need to be on the road in a blizzard, I do not go out.

 

My 2007 MKZ had the Michelin Energy MXV4 S8 from the factory. When they needed replacing, I installed the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3. I considered them to be a big improvement over the Energy MXV4 S8's, especially in wet handling. And I replaced those Pilot Sport A/S 3's with a set of Pilot Sport A/S 3+'s last year.

 

Also keep several things in mind: First...That tire technology changes quite a bit over the course of time. So even if the tread pattern may look similar now, the current tire will be quite improved in construction and materials over what you had in 2013.

Also...It all depends on what you expect from a tire. The Primacy MXM4 is a Grand Touring All-Season tire. It will not handle with an Ultra High Performance All-Season, like the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ etc. But it will give a smoother and more comfortable ride.

 

It is hard to compare on two different vehicles, such as  my 2007 FWD MKZ and my 2018 3.0T AWD w/Drivers Package and Torque Vectoring System. However, if I had to compare, I do believe that a Pilot Sport A/S 3 and A/S 3+ etc. type tire would definitely handle better in harder driving. But the Primacy MXM4 will ride better. And I don't really bother driving hard nowadays.

 

My opinion only: Tires are replaceable wear items, so don't let them stop you from buying a car you like.

 

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

Edited by bbf2530

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BBf2530 , Really great points , and it is true the proof is in riding on them and if through the winter I still feel not confident just replace them . Isn't it funny how we can get about tires . Thanks again .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just put on bfg force comp 2 a/s plus tires today on my 2018 mkz awd 3.0. Kind of a gamble as there isn't much about them online.  Noticed on way home the pressure was different for each tire.  I will fix that this afternoon after mowing and car sits awhile.  Then I will probably go on a little road test tomorrow morning to get some miles on them.  

Guy who put on was shocked that there were clip on weights on tires, and showed me how they were eating into the rims/wheels.  It will be interesting to see how these shoes work after awhile.  Initial 0-60 I noticed less spinning but more torque steer.  Hard to judge tho just being hours old.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm shocked that there were clip-on weights as well. These cars come from the factory with stick-on weights, and that's the only kind that should be used.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cooler04 said:

I just put on bfg force comp 2 a/s plus tires today on my 2018 mkz awd 3.0. Kind of a gamble as there isn't much about them online.  Noticed on way home the pressure was different for each tire.  I will fix that this afternoon after mowing and car sits awhile.  Then I will probably go on a little road test tomorrow morning to get some miles on them.  

Guy who put on was shocked that there were clip on weights on tires, and showed me how they were eating into the rims/wheels.  It will be interesting to see how these shoes work after awhile.  Initial 0-60 I noticed less spinning but more torque steer.  Hard to judge tho just being hours old.

 

Hi cooler. What your mechanic and drolds1 stated above about the "clip on weights". Those weights were installed by some third party shop, not Lincoln.

 

Also, just as an FYI (although you probably already know this): Something as seemingly simple as the sun hitting the tires on one side of a parked car can raise the pressure in those tires by several PSI, completely throwing off the pressure readings.

 

So ideally, check your tires in the early morning, when the sun has not been hitting any of the tires and they are at their "cold pressure" for the day. Of course, that is not always possible. So if you can't do that, try to check them when the vehicle has sat for at least an hour, preferably two, preferably in the shade. No sun on the tires. It is not ideal, but sometimes those are the cards we are dealt.

 

And as Lincoln clearly states...purchase and use a good quality tire pressure gauge to check your tires. Do not use the TPMS dash readouts as a pressure gauge.

 

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

 

 

PS - While I have not personally used the G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, I have always liked BF Goodrich tires (used them on my Mustang GT's, back in the old  "Comp T/A" days) . Also, they are a "Consumer Recommended" tire on the Tire Rack website.

 

Also (again, although you probably already know this): Keep in mind the G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus has a directional tread. The tread is designed to only rotate in one direction. Therefore, when you rotate your tires, you will not be able to switch them side to side on your car. Only rotate front to back/back to front, keeping them on the same side they were installed on. Hopefully, any shop you use to rotate your tires will know this without needing to be told, but always double check.

Edited by bbf2530

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×