• Custom Search

Sign in to follow this  
jm98

SYNC 3.0 won't upgrade to 3.4

Greetings,

My 14 MKZh eBay SYNC 3 system (from 2018 Ford Fusion/Escape with reprogrammed to my MKZh VIN) with R3.0 software throws an error while updating to R3.4 release 20204.    Error indicates "internal error SYNC 3 hardware does not match SYNC 3.4 software".  Any workaround suggestions? 

Edited by jm98

3 hours ago, jm98 said:

Greetings,

My 14 MKZh eBay SYNC 3 system (from 2018 Ford Fusion/Escape with reprogrammed to my MKZh VIN) with R3.0 software throws an error while updating to R3.4 release 20204.    Error indicates "internal error SYNC 3 hardware does not match SYNC 3.4 software".  Any workaround suggestions? 

Hi jm. Not sure how you are trying to "upgrade" your aftermarket installed SYNC 3.0 to SYNC 3.4. Where did you get the SYNC  3.4 update files from? From CyanLabs? Another source?

Without more information, this much we can tell you:

SYNC 3.0 software can not be factory upgraded (via Lincoln/Ford) to SYNC 3.4.

You can use third party sources, such as CyanbLabs mentioned above. However, it is a more complicated process to do so, and any issues/problems would probably need to be addressed to them, since you are not only trying to upgrade from SYNC 3.0 to SYNC 3.4, but your 2014 MKZ originally did not even come equipped with SYNC 3.0.

Keep us updaed and good luck.

I will guess that the Sync you have might not even be compatible with 3.4.  a 2018 model was 'just' able to do 3.0 at the time.

I agree if it's a Cyanlabs file, you would be better to ask them as they are the ones that are 'hacking' it.

On 6/6/2021 at 9:09 PM, bbf2530 said:

Hi jm. Not sure how you are trying to "upgrade" your aftermarket installed SYNC 3.0 to SYNC 3.4. Where did you get the SYNC  3.4 update files from? From CyanLabs? Another source?

Without more information, this much we can tell you:

SYNC 3.0 software can not be factory upgraded (via Lincoln/Ford) to SYNC 3.4.

You can use third party sources, such as CyanbLabs mentioned above. However, it is a more complicated process to do so, and any issues/problems would probably need to be addressed to them, since you are not only trying to upgrade from SYNC 3.0 to SYNC 3.4, but your 2014 MKZ originally did not even come equipped with SYNC 3.0.

Keep us updaed and good luck.

Greetings, I got mine from Ebay seller with name "Michigan?".  I tried to upgrade using USB method but upgrade quite in the middle with error above.

23 hours ago, Multitask said:

I will guess that the Sync you have might not even be compatible with 3.4.  a 2018 model was 'just' able to do 3.0 at the time.

I agree if it's a Cyanlabs file, you would be better to ask them as they are the ones that are 'hacking' it.

Your guess might be correct as it seems that my unit somewhere indicated it's from 2018 model (escape/fusion) hardware.  That explains it that this unit might not be compatible with 3.4.

8 hours ago, jm98 said:

Greetings, I got mine from Ebay seller with name "Michigan?".  I tried to upgrade using USB method but upgrade quite in the middle with error above.

Hi jm. Yes, as we previously mentioned, SYNC 3.0 can not be factory upgraded (via the Lincoln SYNC Update website) to SYNC 3.4.

No SYNC 3 hardware is factory compatible or able to be upgraded to SYNC 3.4.

It is not problem with the particular unit that you purchased. It is simply that SYNC 3.0 software/hardware is not completely compatible with SYNC 3.4. Does not matter what vehicle it came out of, what model year etc. SYNC 3.0 can not be factory upgraded to SYNC 3.4, since SYNC 3.4 is hardware and software update.

Out of curiosity...Where did you get the files from to put on the USB you were using?

As mentioned earlier, there are third party websites that will allow you to upgrade SYNC 3.0 to SYNC 3.4. However, I would not recommend doing it, as there are almost always issues and lost functions.

EDIT- For the sake of clarity and fact: SYNC 3.0 will not be factory upgrade-able to SYNC 3.4 in the future either. Just as SYNC 3.4 will not be up-gradable to SYNC 4 in the future.

SYNC 3.0 is legacy software and hardware. It will receive updates to its basic functionality (at least for a time), but will not be factory up-gradable to SYNC 3.4.

Good luck.

Edited by bbf2530

6 hours ago, jm98 said:

I purchased something from him, ended up sending it back , because it would not work in my 2018 FFH at the time (it came out of a Ford Van with multiple cameras, and my car did not like it)

Nice guy good to work with 

6 hours ago, jm98 said:

Your guess might be correct as it seems that my unit somewhere indicated it's from 2018 model (escape/fusion) hardware.  That explains it that this unit might not be compatible with 3.4.

So he wasn't sure what it really came out of ... Escape or Fusion....

I would say that you might never get it to 3.4.xxxxx from 3.0.xxxx.  It has been mentioned here and other places that Ford/Lincoln may make the software for these units, but there is no 'official' upgrade.  It's a hack... hacks can and do go bad 

I would say if you want to proceed it is at your risk