Jump to content
   
  • Custom Search


Sign in to follow this  
Chris109

Battery

Recommended Posts

I dug out my other remote that I have not used in the time I've had the car (2 years).  Didn't work.  Battery is dead.  I looked in the manual and it says that the remote takes a CR2032 battery.  I have one of those.  Like 2 sizes too small.  The battery that was in it is a perfect fit with a CR2450.  Either the manual is wrong or I have remotes that didn't come with the vehicle.  Not that it makes a difference.  They both work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
   

Chris,

 

I had changed the batteries in my remotes before I traded it the MKZ and they did have CR2032 batteries. I original remotes had a large lincoln logo on the rear as I recall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Chris109 said:

I dug out my other remote that I have not used in the time I've had the car (2 years).  Didn't work.  Battery is dead.  I looked in the manual and it says that the remote takes a CR2032 battery.  I have one of those.  Like 2 sizes too small.  The battery that was in it is a perfect fit with a CR2450.  Either the manual is wrong or I have remotes that didn't come with the vehicle.  Not that it makes a difference.  They both work.

This is interesting. I will have to see for myself when the time comes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Chris109 said:

I dug out my other remote that I have not used in the time I've had the car (2 years).  Didn't work.  Battery is dead.  I looked in the manual and it says that the remote takes a CR2032 battery.  I have one of those.  Like 2 sizes too small.  The battery that was in it is a perfect fit with a CR2450.  Either the manual is wrong or I have remotes that didn't come with the vehicle.  Not that it makes a difference.  They both work.

 

Hi Chris. Did you purchase your MKZ new? Post photos of your remotes, if you can.

 

Good luck.

Edited by bbf2530

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bbf2530 said:

 

Hi Chris. Did you purchase your MKZ new? Post photos of your remotes, if you can.

 

Good luck.

 

Bought it used.  Also, I thought you could start the car by placing the remote in the center console.  I didn't see it in the manual.  May have been for the '13 I used to have.

 

 

remote.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Chris109 said:

 

Bought it used.  Also, I thought you could start the car by placing the remote in the center console.  I didn't see it in the manual.  May have been for the '13 I used to have.

 

 

 

 

Hi Chris. Well, it looks like the back side of my 2018 fob.  Can you post a photo of the button side to be sure? Do you also have the keyblade insert?

 

Concerning starting the car with a fob that has a dead battery: Yes, you can start the car with a dead fob. For the 2017 and later models, you remove the rubber covering in the bottom of the center console cupholder and place the fob in the key slot spot underneath. The complete instructions are in the Owners Manual, pg. 162 of the PDF version. Check the Index under "Keyless starting" in your Owners Manual hard copy, in case the pages are different.

 

I'm not sure where the key slot location was in the 2013-2016 models.

 

Good luck.

Edited by bbf2530

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, bbf2530 said:

 

Hi Chris. Well, it looks like the back side of my 2018 fob.  Can you post a photo of the button side to be sure? Do you also have the keyblade insert?

 

Concerning starting the car with a fob that has a dead battery: Yes, you can start the car with a dead fob. For the 2017 and later models, you remove the rubber covering in the bottom of the center console cupholder and place the fob in the key slot spot underneath. The complete instructions are in the Owners Manual, pg. 162 of the PDF version. Check the Index under "Keyless starting" in your Owners Manual hard copy, in case the pages are different.

 

I'm not sure where the key slot location was in the 2013-2016 models.

 

Good luck.

 

2017 Lincoln MKZ Smart Remote Key Fob , smart key push to ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Chris. That photo is the correct fob for your vehicle, as long as it is the OEM part and not a cheap knockoff.

 

Did you find the fob slot under the rubber spill protector in your cupholder?

 

Good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, bbf2530 said:

 

Hi Chris. Well, it looks like the back side of my 2018 fob.  Can you post a photo of the button side to be sure? Do you also have the keyblade insert?

 

Concerning starting the car with a fob that has a dead battery: Yes, you can start the car with a dead fob. For the 2017 and later models, you remove the rubber covering in the bottom of the center console cupholder and place the fob in the key slot spot underneath. The complete instructions are in the Owners Manual, pg. 162 of the PDF version. Check the Index under "Keyless starting" in your Owners Manual hard copy, in case the pages are different.

 

I'm not sure where the key slot location was in the 2013-2016 models.

 

Good luck.

The dead fob battery starting procedure has been the same since the 2013, i.e., placing the remote in the cutout under the rubber cover in the cupholder.  At some point, I don't recall when, Lincoln changed the fob to what we see here.  The fob used to be shared with the Fusion but it was decided that Lincolns should have a more substantial remote than Fords since it is a universal touchpoint.  My 2014 had the "cheaper" fob and my 2017 had the current version.  So somewhere between 2014 and 2017, the fob was replaced. Having had both versions, I can attest that the replacement version does impart more of a luxury and substantial feel, although it's a tad bulky in your pocket.

 

Perhaps this is the source of the confusion about the batteries.

Edited by drolds1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Earlier model years of the MKZ had a different fob that what Chris is showing. for my 2013 & 2014 models they looked like this

 

2014-lincoln-mkz-smart-proxy-keyless-rem

 

but I stand corrected, the battery in that fob was a CR 2025, this from page 53 of the 2013 manual

Quote

The remote control uses two
coin-type three-volt lithium batteries
CR2025 or equivalent.

 

 

We had a previous thread about battery changes in the 2014 model also here (also a CR2025 battery

 

Edited by R2D2
Re-added image file

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still, tho, the battery that is listed in the manual is a lot smaller than the one that fits snug.  So, "CR2032 or equivalent." is not exactly right if the one that fits is a CR2450.  The 2032 may still work, but it would slide around inside the fob.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Chris109 said:

Still, tho, the battery that is listed in the manual is a lot smaller than the one that fits snug.  So, "CR2032 or equivalent." is not exactly right if the one that fits is a CR2450.  The 2032 may still work, but it would slide around inside the fob.

 

I doubt it would have worked as would not stay in contact with the connection around the edge of the battery hole.

 

Edited by R2D2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Chris109 said:

Still, tho, the battery that is listed in the manual is a lot smaller than the one that fits snug.  So, "CR2032 or equivalent." is not exactly right if the one that fits is a CR2450.  The 2032 may still work, but it would slide around inside the fob.

It wouldn't be the first time an OM had incorrect information.

 

On 8/26/2020 at 3:25 AM, R2D2 said:

Earlier model years of the MKZ had a different fob that what Chris is showing. for my 2013 & 2014 models they looked like this

 

2014-lincoln-mkz-smart-proxy-keyless-rem

 

but I stand corrected, the battery in that fob was a CR 2025, this from page 53 of the 2013 manual

 

 

We had a previous thread about battery changes in the 2014 model also here (also a CR2025 battery

That's what I was referring to in my post.  Aside from being the same as the ones for other Fords, the faux chrome strips started to peel off after some use.  They were replacing them under warranty for early MKS owners that complained.  I remember that somebody's wife cut her finger on it. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×