Jump to content
   
  • Custom Search


i_luv_va

Climate Control Seats Not Working

Recommended Posts

I read the Manuel and it said the filters should be changed at 140k miles. I am at that now. I got the instructions on how to change the filter. But most people say they didn't need to be changed. So I'm worried about dropping $30 to $40 bucks on filters if this will not fix the problem. So has anyone had theirs stop working and then changing the filter fixed the problem? I don't want to go to the dealership because they are insanely expensive. I've dropped about $4k in the last year on repairs. I'm done with repairs. Next big ticket I'm trading it in for a new car. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
   
3 hours ago, i_luv_va said:

I read the Manuel and it said the filters should be changed at 140k miles. I am at that now. I got the instructions on how to change the filter. But most people say they didn't need to be changed. So I'm worried about dropping $30 to $40 bucks on filters if this will not fix the problem. So has anyone had theirs stop working and then changing the filter fixed the problem? I don't want to go to the dealership because they are insanely expensive. I've dropped about $4k in the last year on repairs. I'm done with repairs. Next big ticket I'm trading it in for a new car. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

 

Hi I_luv. Are you discussing the seat filters for the cooled/ventilated front seats? If you own a 2008 MKZ (as your signature states) the seat filters should be changed every 30,000 miles, as per the Maintenance Schedule.

 

As far as changing the filters fixing seats that "stopped working"? You don't give any information as to what you mean by "stopped working". So it is impossible to answer that question.

 

More information might help.

Edited by bbf2530

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe he meant his tires don't work?  😎

 

I would hope a dealer or a good mechanic can at least look at the seats and see why they need filters or repair.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, i_luv_va said:

I read the Manuel and it said the filters should be changed at 140k miles. I am at that now. I got the instructions on how to change the filter. But most people say they didn't need to be changed. So I'm worried about dropping $30 to $40 bucks on filters if this will not fix the problem. So has anyone had theirs stop working and then changing the filter fixed the problem? I don't want to go to the dealership because they are insanely expensive. I've dropped about $4k in the last year on repairs. I'm done with repairs. Next big ticket I'm trading it in for a new car. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

 

Hi i_luv. So...back to the reason you posted and asked for help. I assume you are trying to avoid a diagnostic fee for a car that is out of warranty. Therefore, what do you mean by "stop working"? Does one seat not "work" or is it both? Do the lights illuminate and stay on when you press the button? Do they ventilate but not feel cool? Do they feel as though there is no ventilation? Or is there nothing...no sound and nothing at all?

 

Post back with more information, and hopefully one of our very helpful tech members will be able to offer some suggestions.

 

Good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lights come on. Ever other aspect of seats electronics work. Just the heat and cool do not come on when the buttons show they are on. I read the manual and thought maybe the filter might be the problem. As far as free diagnostic I was only asking if anyone had it happen and did changing the filter help 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow ok my tires are fine. I thought this was an open forum to ask other owners questions and possible solutions. Obviously it is not. I will just find some help elsewhere without arrogant assholes making stupid comments about my tires. I didn't think to add about the lights. Have a great day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, i_luv_va said:

Wow ok my tires are fine. I thought this was an open forum to ask other owners questions and possible solutions. Obviously it is not. I will just find some help elsewhere without arrogant assholes making stupid comments about my tires. I didn't think to add about the lights. Have a great day.

 

Hi i-luv. I am trying to help. That is why I am asking for more information.

 

Multitask can also be helpful, his sense of humor just takes some getting used to 🙃.  In reality, he was taking a shot at me and my questions, he likes to do that. 😎

 

So again...back to trying to help you: It may help us point you in the right direction if we know the answers to the questions I posted previously. We also have several tech members, and the answers to those questions will help them. Or sometimes, a visit to a Dealer or shop will be necessary. But let's start with the answers to those particular questions.

 

We have a lot of helpful members here, so don't be so easily discouraged. Get back to us and good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup, I have a very dry sense of humor, this is why the 😎 after... it's to let you know that I'm being jovial.

 

Let us know what you have done so far... as in checked the connections to make sure they are still plugged in tight.... 

being it is as old as it is, stopping working would possibly mean the unit under the seats are bad, or the controller has gone bad.... car-part.com is a good place to start for replacment parts at a lower cost, just in case they don't make any part of it any more.  The manufacture has to keep parts for only 7 years.

IMHO the unit would not work well if it was just a filter.  But again it's just an opinion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/9/2020 at 7:27 AM, i_luv_va said:

Lights come on. Ever other aspect of seats electronics work. Just the heat and cool do not come on when the buttons show they are on. I read the manual and thought maybe the filter might be the problem. As far as free diagnostic I was only asking if anyone had it happen and did changing the filter help 

 

HI i-luv. One additional comment: While the filter could certainly affect ventilation/cooling, the filter should not affect heating operation. Blind Internet diagnosis would lead me to believe there may be another underlying problem.

 

As far as my comment about diagnostic fees...again, I was simply stating that more information would be needed to give any informed advice. It was not a judgement, since we are all here for the same reasons...to learn, solve problems, help others, save money, etc.

 

Good luck.

Edited by bbf2530

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×