• Custom Search

After spending a few hours in my car during long drives (11 hours plus) , I've head the high pitched noise that I think is the ANC (with radio off)

Is this what I'm hearing? and without pulling the cords from the mics (so I've read on other places), is there another way to defeat this?

I like driving with the sound of the wind and engine sometimes.  😎

1 hour ago, Multitask said:

After spending a few hours in my car during long drives (11 hours plus) , I've head the high pitched noise that I think is the ANC (with radio off)

Is this what I'm hearing? and without pulling the cords from the mics (so I've read on other places), is there another way to defeat this?

I like driving with the sound of the wind and engine sometimes.  😎

Hi Multitask. Don't know if ANC is the cause of your noise, but you can turn it off using FORScan software, an OBDII USB interface/adapter and a laptop computer. You would use the available programming guides to turn off the "synthesized engine sound", which also turns off ANC.

Good luck.

Yea, I have read about that too... would be great if there was a way to make it a button on the 8" screen.  😎

7 hours ago, Multitask said:

Yea, I have read about that too... would be great if there was a way to make it a button on the 8" screen.  😎

Yes, would be great, but has not and probably can not be done. Perhaps by a programming genius. But far beyond the skills of you and I.

I'd like to turn off the synthesized engine sound without losing the ANC, but that is not possible either. Maybe someone with those programming skills will volunteer to take up those tasks. 😎

Good luck.

Edited by bbf2530

The Audio Control Module (ACM) handles Active Noise Cancelation (ANC) settings. Forscan can be used to modify the settings.

Front Tweeters (FT) & Chime Strategy (CS) & ANC & USB    
727-01-01    xxxx xXxx xxxx

The large X is a value 2 (default on my MKZ).

= FT absent & CS : North American & ANC present & USB absent

Change to a value of 0 to disable ANC.
= FT absent & CS : North American & ANC absent & USB absent

31 minutes ago, TomV said:

The Audio Control Module (ACM) handles Active Noise Cancelation (ANC) settings. Forscan can be used to modify the settings.

Front Tweeters (FT) & Chime Strategy (CS) & ANC & USB    
727-01-01    xxxx xXxx xxxx

The large X is a value 2 (default on my MKZ).

= FT absent & CS : North American & ANC present & USB absent

Change to a value of 0 to disable ANC.
= FT absent & CS : North American & ANC absent & USB absent

I will have to give those a try... next week I'm on a trip.. gone all week... so after that... 

For those not wanting to use Forscan, the 3 microphones connect to the ACM in the trunk.

Cut or disconnect 1 wire from each mic and there will be no signal coming in.

ACM 26 pin connector and wire color:

Left

• MIC 1 +   pin 1      VT-OG
  • MIC 1 -    pin 14    YE-GY

Front

• MIC 2 +   pin 2      YE-VT
  • MIC 2 -    pin 15    BU-BN

Rear 

• MIC 3 +   pin 7      BU-GN
  • MIC 3 -    pin 20    WH-OG
Edited by TomV

I disabled ANC via FORScan a few weeks back and just turned it on just to see the difference. It's nearly impossible to hear the sound coming from the speakers but it makes the engine seem louder. As I despise the sound of most V6 engines, I turned it off again. As bbf2530 said, it would be cool if they kept the noise cancelling while disabling that childish engine noise nonsense. 

I don't know the details of any artificial engine noise,  but the cancelling appears to be doing it's job if the engine seems louder with ANC disabled. The problem is aftermarket audio systems are over amplifying the correction signal, that is ultimately created using feedback from the microphones.

I'm beginning to wonder if adding audio taper potentiometers inline with microphone wires would attenuate the feedback signal. This way you could adjust the feedback signal and perhaps the ANC wouldn't generate as large as a correction signal.  Perhaps you could find a happy median between too much ANC correction and no correction.

Edited by TomV
clarified the wording

I tried changing the value in 727-01-01 xxxx xXxx xxxx from 2 to 0, and while it seems to have stopped the active noise cancellation (no more feedback in aftermarket sub), it’s still playing back engine noise. Are they any other values I can try either in that line or elsewhere? The engine noise was irritating before adding a sub but it’s significantly worse now.

Edit: I misspoke earlier - ANC actually is not just disabled, even with the change to 727-01-01, it just doesn’t have any effect if any door (or the trunk) is open. Has anyone else run into this problem?

Edited by jmbarker

On 5/14/2021 at 1:42 PM, jmbarker said:

I tried changing the value in 727-01-01 xxxx xXxx xxxx from 2 to 0, and while it seems to have stopped the active noise cancellation (no more feedback in aftermarket sub), it’s still playing back engine noise. Are they any other values I can try either in that line or elsewhere? The engine noise was irritating before adding a sub but it’s significantly worse now.

Edit: I misspoke earlier - ANC actually is not just disabled, even with the change to 727-01-01, it just doesn’t have any effect if any door (or the trunk) is open. Has anyone else run into this problem?

I haven't tried the ANC defeat yet, because all the JL Audio subs that I want have been on backordered for almost a year.

The values I posted above come from lots of online research (Mustangs, Fusions, F150 Forums) and should apply to most Fords/Lincoln. If they don't work for the Lincoln MKZ, please do some research and help us find out what works.