• Custom Search

Sign in to follow this  
TomV

Revel Standard to Ultima Upgrade

I've been planning and sourcing used parts to upgrade my Revel 14-speaker system to the Revel Ultima 20-speaker system.

1. Rear deck speakers
  2. Rear door mid-ranges
  3. 20 Channel Amplifier
  4. Molex BLK (PN# 347290120)12-pin power plug
  5. Wiring Diagram Manual
  6. Spool of 4 conductor 18-AWG wire
  7. OBDII adapter for Forscan

Ultima2.thumb.jpg.0f71d921c8b3eced00e04e2677068304.jpg

The rear deck speakers should be fairly straight forward to install. I believe the woofer connectors are the same. All I need to create are connectors and wire runs for the tweeters and mid-ranges straight to the amp in the trunk. You can see from the picture, how great the factory sub-woofers really are 😉 cough cough.

The rear door mid-range speaker will be the most challenging part. I will need to take the door panels off and cut a hole. Then fabricate some sort of a grill, more on that later. I also need to run new wires for the tweeter and mid-range. I will disconnect the passive crossover from the tweeter and use the existing wire run just for the woofer. I hope I can fish new wires into the door boot without too much trouble.

The amplifier should bolt in place of the current unit. The audio signal comes via USB, so it just plugs in. The power Molex plug is different shape, so I need to re-pin a new connector. The wiring diagram manual provides the layouts. The two 20-pin speaker connector plugs need complete re-pinning as well. They come apart and pins release with a tiny screw driver. I can reinsert them into the new positions as needed. Basically I'm adding 12 new pins and re-arranging the existing.

I also compared my MKZ Reserve I As Built File to a similar MKZ Reserve II that is very close to mine, except for the Ultima system and AWD. The DSP/Amplifier module data are identical. I think I just need to get the system to identify the new amplifier on the CAN bus. The ACM module also seems to be a little different. I might need to modify one line of hex values in mine to match. I will add more on this later, when I get to that stage.

I'm going to need help from someone with an Ultima system with rear speaker orientations.

1. Do the rear deck speakers have the tweeters inboard or outboard?
  2. How far down is the rear door mid-range from tweeter (center to center)?

I also picked up a variety of cheap grills off eBay for the rear mid ranges. None are perfect, but with some black paint and epoxied on studs I think they could work. I know the factory grills have no fasteners showing. I'm thinking of using a hole saw and/or dremel to very carefully cut the plastic backing from the rear side of the door panel. If I go very slow and not destroy the leather on the front of the panel, I can later slit the leather and fold it into the hole.

Here is a picture of what I have to play with. Maybe some of you have a better idea?

IMG_8334.jpg

Grills.jpg

IMG_8333.jpg

Cutting into that door panel makes me cringe a little.  😬

The distance from the tweeter to midrange speakers, center to center, is 4 7/8 inches.  

Gywgznp.jpg

And here is a picture of the right rear deck speaker, not sure if it helps or not.

EjMQFt3.jpg

Very helpful! Thank you! Is the rear deck picture taken from the backseat or through the glass? 

Edited by TomV

Taken from the rear seat, interior.

Can you source Revel grills for all of the exposed speakers?

car-part.com

if there is a wreck, I'm sure there are grills...  😎

I've thought about new door panels from a donor, but I'm not able to justify the cost. Ideally, I'd like to try to create a frame-less grill with black mess to match the lower grill, but I won't really know for sure until start the installation process. I still have some wire connectors coming, so it will probably be a few weeks yet.