Jump to content
   
  • Custom Search


Sign in to follow this  
YurrrttGawd

CONSIDERING THE PURCHASE OF A 2007 LINCOLN MKZ

Recommended Posts

Hello,

 

I hope everyone is staying healthy and safe in these critical times. My purpose here is to get some feedback on buying a 2007 Lincoln MKZ

for $1800 with 123k miles. The only problem listed by the owner is a check engine light due to a dirty catalytic converter in need of cleaning.

Is this a solid deal? Can these cars make it to around 200k miles? I'm nervous about a potential water pump issue with these, especially, if it

hasn't already been serviced. Is there a high risk of water pump failure with these vehicles? 

 

Thank you for your consideration and support.

Edited by YurrrttGawd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
   
21 minutes ago, YurrrttGawd said:

Hello,

 

I hope everyone is staying healthy and safe in these critical times. My purpose here is to get some feedback on buying a 2007 Lincoln MKZ

for $1800 with 123k miles. The only problem listed by the owner is a check engine light due to a dirty catalytic converter in need of cleaning.

Is this a solid deal? Can these cars make it to around 200k miles? I'm nervous about a potential water pump issue with these, especially, if it

hasn't already been serviced. Is there a high risk of water pump failure with these vehicles? 

 

Thank you for your consideration and support.

 

Hi YG. The Lincoln MKZ is a good car. I own a 2007 and 2018. My 2007 has about 108,000 now. There is no reason a well maintained modern vehicle can not see 200,000 miles and more. That includes the MKZ.

 

Concerning used vehicles in general: Buying a 13-14 year old vehicle is always a gamble. All you an do is give it a rigorous inspection and test drive (not just around the block a few times). Make sure the engine and transmission are operating correctly. Check the fluids. Check the engine compartment and underneath for leaks. Check all the systems (Lights, HVAC, Audio, power seats, mirrors etc) to see if they operate correctly.  See what DTC code that check engine light is storing. I would also recommend a professional inspection by a shop/tech you trust.

 

Concerning the particular one you are considering buying: Catalytic converters can not be "cleaned". If the converter is bad, it will need to be replaced. That is expensive.

The MKZ does not have a high risk of water pump failure. However, if it does fail and need to be replaced, it is a difficult job.

 

Those are just a few suggestions. I am sure other members will jump in with more advice.

 

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

Edited by bbf2530

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A catalytic converter is not cleaned, it is replaced.  Not sure if the owner is unclear or simply lying to you about it.  Factor in the price of new cats before deciding on the purchase.  Plus the Check Engine light could also indicate more problems than just the catalytic converter issue.

Edited by fusionff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

YEs, ask if you can have a professional Of Your Choice (dealer or mom-pop place) check it over... if they refuse, don't buy it... if they let you and the place tells you a reasonable price then it should be ok.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You also might consider getting a Carfax or equivalent to see if it has been in any wrecks. It may also show maintenance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

but so you know, Carfax will only show if it was reported.  Most of the time it is, but so you know.  😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes.  Car fax and have your mechanic check it out.  If you really Jonsing for this car And the car has at least 500 or a thousand miles on it from its last oil change, then I would also give yourself time to receive an empty shipping bottle(s) from Blackstone lab, have a shop suck out a little oil from the engineAnd send it to Blackstone for health report on the  engine        You can do the same for other  fluids also.   Good luck.  Lee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi others

i too. Am considering buying a current version of the MKZ in Reseve trim AWD v6.   I believe they added a lot more standard on the 2019 and 2020 from the 17 & &18.  Can anyone confirm that.  

Second I believe one of the option packages in 17, 18 was the drivers package which added tuned suspension and torque vectoring along with some other accents.  In 19 & 20 I believe they dropped the accents but made those two items standard equipment??

Thanks

lee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, LeetheSailor said:

Hi others

i too. Am considering buying a current version of the MKZ in Reseve trim AWD v6.   I believe they added a lot more standard on the 2019 and 2020 from the 17 & &18.  Can anyone confirm that.  

Second I believe one of the option packages in 17, 18 was the drivers package which added tuned suspension and torque vectoring along with some other accents.  In 19 & 20 I believe they dropped the accents but made those two items standard equipment??

Thanks

lee

Here's the 2019 MKZ sales brochure.  Yes.  If equipped with the 3.0T and AWD, the 2019-20s come with sport-tuned suspension and torque vectoring.  The 2020 also includes the Magnetic Package when so-equipped.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks drolds1,  I will recheck what is in the Magnetic Package....good stuff..  best going forward.  Lee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Magnetic package includes the dark painted  upper grille and 19-inch machine-faced aluminum wheels with dark painted pockets.   It was included when there was a Driver's Sport Package.  They make you nuts by changing the models and packages each year.   This makes it particularly difficult when searching for a pre-owned car.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree the mixing of the options means you have to have a virtual spreadsheet 

crazy.  

I just feel like this might be the last luxury car without a cvt transmission , so I have to go for it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, LeetheSailor said:

I agree the mixing of the options means you have to have a virtual spreadsheet 

crazy.  

I just feel like this might be the last luxury car without a cvt transmission , so I have to go for it. 

What luxury cars have CVTs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CVT transmissions.  Many

mkz 2.0 or/and 2.0 hybrid

subaru 

almost all small imports / economy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, LeetheSailor said:

CVT transmissions.  Many

mkz 2.0 or/and 2.0 hybrid

subaru 

almost all small imports / economy

 

Hi Lee. Just as an FYI: The 2.0L MKZ (non-Hybrid) does not use a CVT. No conventional engine MKZ does.

 

Good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, LeetheSailor said:

CVT transmissions.  Many

mkz 2.0 or/and 2.0 hybrid

subaru 

almost all small imports / economy

 Some would argue that the MKZH is not a luxury car and the rest certainly don't qualify.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks guys on the corrections of CVT   Only the hybrid  .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/12/2020 at 11:12 AM, drolds1 said:

 Some would argue that the MKZH is not a luxury car and the rest certainly don't qualify.

 

I have a MKZ-H and I sort of agree , it's not a 'luxury' car.  But it's better then the Fusion.  😎

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi gang. The MKZ is classified as a mid-size luxury sedan or sometimes an "entry-level" luxury sedan, and the MKZ-H as a mid-size Hybrid luxury/"entry-level" luxury sedan.

 

However, drolds1 was 100% correct when he stated that "the rest certainly don't qualify" as luxury cars when Lee referred to a "subaru" and "almost all small imports / economy" having CVT's.

 

Good luck.

Edited by bbf2530

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×