Sign in to follow this  
Chris109

Rear Panel Side Lights

On my 2017 hybrid, I happened to notice this past weekend that the driver side rear panel light (the rear of the wheel) was flickering when I got out of the car.  I opened and closed the door again and checked the passenger side.  That light wasn't even on.  Made an appointment and they checked it out today.  Service manager told me that it was a common problem with Lincolns.  They looked at it and told me that the harness (es?) were corroded and they needed to be replaced but needed to order the parts to do the repair next week.  I'd never heard of this 'problem' before. If the car wasn't still under warranty, I wouldn't care.  But, since it's a freebie...

I assume you're talking about the left rear side marker light.  I haven't had this problem. 

14 hours ago, drolds1 said:

I assume you're talking about the left rear side marker light.  I haven't had this problem. 

Yes.  Right behind the wheels.  The ones that come on when you approach the car and when you close the door.  I was surprised that the service guy knew exactly what the problem was and said it was a common issue.

2 hours ago, Chris109 said:

Yes.  Right behind the wheels.  The ones that come on when you approach the car and when you close the door.  I was surprised that the service guy knew exactly what the problem was and said it was a common issue.

Hi Chris.  As drolds replied, not anything I have ever heard of either.

Techs/mechanics (and Doctors...lol) will sometimes state some variation of "It's a common problem" as a way to let a person know, yes I've seen it before, it is no big deal to fix it and don't worry about it. Unfortunately, "It's a common problem" can also be taken to mean it happens a lot.  In this case, it does not happen a lot, it is only something that is easy to fix and not something to worry about.

Let us know how it goes and good luck.

Aside from lighting up with the "Lincoln Welcome," that's also the side marker light, as required by DOT regs.  

Now that you've pointed it out, I'll be on the lookout for it.  I'll need to be taking it in eventually anyway.  I noticed the sound of air rushing by at above 35 mph and the traffic noise seemed much louder than usual.  This a quiet car.  It's the effect you get with a slightly open window but try as I might, I couldn't find an open window.  I pulled up on all the switches but the problem remained.  After a few days of this and starting to go slightly nuts, out of desperation, I pulled up on the driver's switch 3 or 4 times and heard the window move up a tiny fraction of an inch.  Problem solved, temporarily at least.  Sanity preserved, although my wife may not agree with that😜.

On 7/13/2019 at 10:32 AM, bbf2530 said:

Hi Chris.  As drolds replied, not anything I have ever heard of either.

Techs/mechanics (and Doctors...lol) will sometimes state some variation of "It's a common problem" as a way to let a person know, yes I've seen it before, it is no big deal to fix it and don't worry about it. Unfortunately, "It's a common problem" can also be taken to mean it happens a lot.  In this case, it does not happen a lot, it is only something that is easy to fix and not something to worry about.

Let us know how it goes and good luck.

I'm not sure what the terminology would be, but, there are those covers (?) under that car to keep the dirt etc from getting the undercarriage dirty/muddy.  It seems that they are not perfect.  Crud manages to find it's way up there (possibly through the wheels/brakes) and settles on top of those covers.  Crud has no place to fall out.  So it settles on top of whatever.  The harnesses were covered and eventually corroded through and shorted them out.  Does this make sense?  I can 'see' it happening, just can't find the right words.