Sign in to follow this  
Eurythmian

Fake Engine RPM Sound Every 30 Seconds

I read somewhere that when in Sport Mode the driver will hear noticeably louder RPM notes from the engine. Guess what - I hear them constantly now - even when sitting at a stop light or in the driveway idling. It has to be something fake piped through the sound system. At first I thought I was going crazy and couldn't tell where it was coming from. The fact it happens when I'm sitting still is nuts! If I mute the sound system and it stops. So it has to be coming through my THX system. I can't find anything online about this and I want it to stop.

It sounds like a motor cycle off in the distance traveling at a high rate of speed. But not real. An audio sound to make us think we are driving a race car when in Sport Mode. But this is now happening every 30 seconds in regular drive - even in Park. Any suggestions? 

I wonder if disconnecting the battery for a good 30 minutes will reset whatever has freaked out? Suggestions?

You can try a battery disconnect, but what would be better is to use FORScan if you're up to the task. You will need a OBDII scantool like OBD MX along with a laptop though.

It is the Audio Control Module (ACM) that controls the artificial engine sounds. With FORScan, you can reset the ACM or even modify it to stop producing the artificial engine noise.

This would also alert you to any DTC that may hint the ACM isn't functioning properly.

If not tech savvy or too nervous though, will have to get a dealer to use the Ford tool to fix...but honestly, they're going to charge you more than what getting a OBD MX would cost you (and FORScan program is free).

I couldn't help but wonder if  a malfunction in the Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) system is producing this sound.  Just a thought. 

Well, I have good news. Disconnecting the battery must have reset the (ACM) because the sound has stopped. At least while I’m sitting still. I wish I had read your reply before doing this because I am interested to see if you solution was correct. Whatever it was has been corrected. 

I was beginning to go crazy with with the sound of a fake engine flying by every 30 seconds.