riff raff

Rear Pads - Replaced at 137,000 Miles

I'm pretty pleased with the life of the brake pads on my 2014 3.7

Both front and rear pads were still OEM original at 137,000 miles.  I had to change the oil and rotate the tires today, so I decided to do the rear pads.  I bought a front/rear set of Wagner Thermoquiet Ceramic (#QC1665) pads months ago thinking replacement was imminent.  

I"m glad that I pulled the rears, they were down to 4 mm.  The fronts still look like 10-12 mm thick, easy, so they'll go a bit longer.  No squealers on new pads these days, so you need to pay attention.  The rotors feel great, which is also amazing.  I usually warp mine around 125k, from previous vehicle experience (and then just live with it)

Getting the rear Electronic Parking break into maintenance mode took a bit of fiddling, but easy enough.  I bought the piston tool to rotate the piston in, but that wasn't necessary, they simply push back.  Getting a c-clamp into position was a little tricky.  A standard piston pusher would have been the way to go, I'll pick up one (my gave up the ghost a few years ago, a c-clamp was then put into action).

But the electronic motor for the EPS interferes with the c-clamp positioning, and you definitely don't want to damage any of those components. 

That's amazing I assume you do all highway miles?

6 hours ago, MKZMark said:

That's amazing I assume you do all highway miles?

Yes, but that is actually off my usual pace.  I bought the MKZ in the June 2016, it had 15k on it.  My previous car, an '08 Altima had 399,890 miles when the transmission gave up the ghost.  Before that, an '03 Accord that went around 330k.  I changed positions in my company and I'm now not traveling daily

I put 260K on an '06 Town&Country minivan. When I traded it, the engine and tranny were fine, same oil consumption and gas mileage as when it was new. Suspension was also original and it had just passed state inspection. Unfortunately lots of other stuff was failing so it was time to go.

Lots of oil changes!

Oil at 3500 miles, Trans fluid at 75K.

10k changes for me, with synthetic oil and Pure One filters. (still had 10% showing at the last change, at 10k). 

I did a Blackstone lab analysis at 100k, they said I could easily push it to 15k, but 10k works, so I stuck with that (same regimen on my Altima)

70k drain/fill on the trans fluid as well.