Jump to content
   
psikys

Possible Purchase: 2015 MKZ Hybrid - need opinions

Recommended Posts

Hey folks. The wife and I are thinking about buying our first hybrid. We drive between 70-100 miles a day, have kids and want something somewhat fancy. We don't want a Prius or something small, and so far the MKZ-Heets all those needs and gets 2x our current mpg on paper.

I've test drove one, and honestly it was a pretty nice drive. It was a 2015, MKZ-hybrid, 29k miles, leather, heated/cooled seats, heated steering wheel, states it has the technology package, but I'm not 100% sure what that entails, and no sunroof (sadness). Silver with larger wheels.

What are the major problems I'm going to run into, is 17k a good price (from my searching it seems pretty solid) and are there any red flags I should look for? I'm ok with cars, but hybrids have an entire system I know nothing about, and I'm hoping I can gain some experience from you all before signing on the line.

We're going to look at another '15 with 29k miles on it tomorrow, but I don't like the color (red) and it seems to have smaller wheels (not sure), but it's 2k cheaper.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks all!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
   

I’m on my second MKZ Hybrid (with an MKC in between).  I had a new 2013 MKZ-h for 3 years (lease), then a new 2016 MKC (lease), and, 33 days ago, I went back to the MKZ-h, buying (not leasing) a new 2019 MKZ-h just three days before Christmas.

I liked the MKC (the higher driving position, in particular) but I was ready to get back to the Z-hybrid.  I had gotten spoiled by the mileage available with the ‘13 Z hybrid I’d had.

I just filled up the ‘19 Z-h two days ago, very nearly 4 weeks since my last fill up, and only had to put 10.7 gallons of 87 octane in it.  

While my driving patterns are likely different from yours, I remember that, with my 2013 Z-h,  I could easily go 4 weeks between fillups, and only need 10.5 to maybe 11 gallons to fill up—this for a nice car.  That was during moderate weather season (spring and fall), not the heat of summer (requiring lots of A/C here in OK) or the real cold of mid-winter (requiring heater and defroster).

During moderate temperature seasons, I often got in the high 30s mpg, and in the really hot or cold of summer and winter, I got more like mid 30s mpg without trying especially hard to get good mileage, I just drove sensibly (in my view).

Things to consider: leg and head room in the back seat (it’s not great for tall people) and luggage room in the trunk (the hybrid batteries take up some of the trunk space).

The MKZ is a nice car.  If the Z you’re considering is in good condition and you’re satisfied with the price (and your family “fits” in the available interior space), I’d definitely say go for it.

If you’re a lead-footed driver who likes jack-rabbit sprints away from red lights, you may not get the mileage I did, but if you’re sensible about your driving habits, you may be surprised and pleased with how long you can go between fillups.  Good luck!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Poke. Appreciate the feedback. Gonna go check out the red one tonight, then make a decision. We're definitely getting one of them, barring anything crazy happening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a 13 Zh and now a 16 Zh , the 16 has the 19in. wheels and I like them a lot , much better looking then the smaller wheel. If it has the heated steering wheel then it would have the upgraded sound system a big plus and heated back seats . I am on my second Zh , I do not think many cars can beat it for mpg and luxury . When you drive it just check to feel that the transition from electric to gas engine is smooth , on both my cars I could not feel the switch . I did not miss the sun roof because the car has great air/heat conditioning , ask them to check the cabin air filter .  I have had no major problems with either car ( 13 had rear shocks replaced ) , I am driving cars/trucks now for over 50 years and this is the best all around car .  You will not go wrong with either but I lean toward the silver one .  Good luck .  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, jimflutes said:

I had a 13 Zh and now a 16 Zh , the 16 has the 19in. wheels and I like them a lot , much better looking then the smaller wheel. If it has the heated steering wheel then it would have the upgraded sound system a big plus and heated back seats . I am on my second Zh , I do not think many cars can beat it for mpg and luxury . When you drive it just check to feel that the transition from electric to gas engine is smooth , on both my cars I could not feel the switch . I did not miss the sun roof because the car has great air/heat conditioning , ask them to check the cabin air filter .  I have had no major problems with either car ( 13 had rear shocks replaced ) , I am driving cars/trucks now for over 50 years and this is the best all around car .  You will not go wrong with either but I lean toward the silver one .  Good luck .  

How did your 19" work in the 24" we had of global warming we just had?   I work out of my house so if there is 1 snowflake, I don't leave the house.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 We only got about 8 inches here in Mass., I do have good a/s tires so up to 3 - 4 inches I can go with caution because of the front wheel drive , but the Lincoln is not the best snow car , maybe the all wheel , but in a big storm I stay put . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have MKZh for almost two years and 40K miles I put on it.  I say the biggest one you will need to look out is tires as there is no spare on this car.  You plan to drive 100 miles a day so I think tires would be top priority.  Maybe consider keeping a full 18"/19" spare in your garage just in case. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

About the price and Certified  Preowned MKZh is a steal.  I would pay $17K (+$1K for certified label) for 15 with following parameters:

- panoramic roof package

- 50K miles or less

- Factory recalls addressed by dealer

- Car has been serviced by dealer from new

- Lease return

Edited by jm98

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I took out the insert that held the can/spare tire filler , then had enough room to put in a good spare tire , purchased a scissor jack and feel a lot better on long trips .   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/27/2019 at 3:20 PM, jimflutes said:

I took out the insert that held the can/spare tire filler , then had enough room to put in a good spare tire , purchased a scissor jack and feel a lot better on long trips .   

I will have to look in to that...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Make sure to have a PPI conducted, check for timing chain cover leaks and oil pan leaks. My 2014 MKZh had those issues. Also check for extensive wear on the lower control arm bushings and shocks. With less than 50K miles you shouldn't have any issues, however I purchased mine with 41,000 miles two years ago, now running at 96,900 miles. Mine handles like a gem in snow, it's all about the tires!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/12/2019 at 11:13 AM, dfstv said:

Make sure to have a PPI conducted, check for timing chain cover leaks and oil pan leaks. My 2014 MKZh had those issues. Also check for extensive wear on the lower control arm bushings and shocks. With less than 50K miles you shouldn't have any issues, however I purchased mine with 41,000 miles two years ago, now running at 96,900 miles. Mine handles like a gem in snow, it's all about the tires!

What kind of Tires you have?  I had to replace two good Micheline with Yokohama at Discount Tires..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×