Sign in to follow this  
Scott

Fuel System Cleaners

I know this can be kind of a black hole question, but I have read that fuel cleaners should not be used in turbocharged engines due to any crud that may be cleaned and then sucked into the turbos. I know my dealer adds a cleaner with every oil change. I always use top tier gas, so I will hopefully not be adding deposits. I bought my car with @15,00 miles and obviously have no idea what gas the previous owner used, so I am thinking about using a cleaner to hopefully take care of any old deposits.

Thoughts?

Ahhh this topic. Ok story time and I'll share my suggestion:

There is only one fuel additive I use because its applied with every fill up: BND Automotive ACES IV.

I used this additive literally Day 1 when I got my MKZ  back in 2016, alongside with premium shell 93 octane. This was when the 3.0 was brand new. Why literally since the dealer let me test drive it before getting complementary free 87 fuel fill up, I took the new MKZ to shell and filled it up myself with 93 and 3.5 oz of ACES IV. My goodness was it so smooth and enjoyable. Dealership freaked out only because Ford apparently will ding salesman for not providing free fuel. I told em no worries and just said I got free fuel regardless when I got my Lincoln Viewpoint.

As I've posted, I had faulty heads causing a coolant leak into spark plug chamber. You can see pictures of my engine when it was opened up and besides the heads, it was in excellent condition. Thread: 

Engine tech remarked even the valves looked great for a direct injection non ported EcoBoost type. Tech remarked the deposits didnt even seem as caked on, and came off more easily than normal. I never used a catch can, and did a little drag racing along with Livernois 93 tune. Again I always kept using ACE IV as 1 oz. of it balances with 6 gallons of fuel. An AWD MKZ has 18 gallons so I would apply a maximum of 3 oz depending when I filled up. Do know my first oil change was with QuantumBlue motor oil that pairs up with ACES IV. I did my oil changes every 10-12k miles.

I still use ACES IV  in my Focus and will always use it Day 1 when I get a new vehicle.

I do get an extra mpg, and the vehicles to me, always feel more "upbeat" in reaction. Plus I met the maker and he's a great guy to talk with and big motor head.

ACES IV (and the other QuantumBlue products made by BND Automotive) are the only thing I would even invest in on a car I love. I do not use any major brands anymore. Plus seeing the engine opened was enough proof all my beliefs in BND Automotive was worth it.

This is a big reason why I want PFDI engine like the 5.0 Coyote, as ACES IV will be even more effective with the dual fuel injection combo. Though sad I lost my MKZ and that engine after my accident, despite an engine fix making carfax drop value, I wanted to keep the MKZ after it was fixed and lease ended.

Anyways, Look up BND Automotive if interested. Give Brian a call and If he's availible, as any questions you got. He inspired me with all his knowledge to be the tinkerer I am now in discovering knowledge on newer vehicles.

Edited by Zalvern

I have used STP 5 in 1 cleaner with good results.  These cleaners do fall into the area of snake oil since regular modern pump gas already has detergents.  But since I have read that DI engine do get dirty with crud due to the technology I put a bottle or two in per year to help keep things inside with less carbon buildup.

45 minutes ago, Under200 said:

I have used STP 5 in 1 cleaner with good results.  These cleaners do fall into the area of snake oil since regular modern pump gas already has detergents.  But since I have read that DI engine do get dirty with crud due to the technology I put a bottle or two in per year to help keep things inside with less carbon buildup.

Less carbon buildup where?  If you're talking about carbon buildup on the intake valves, then you're just wasting money.  By definition, direct injection means that the fuel/air mixture bypasses the intake valves completely.  That's the reason for carbon buildup on the intakes valves in the first place.  There's no "washing" of the valves by incoming fuel, hence the additive is doing nothing in that regard.  Not to mention that Ford does not recommend fuel additives for gasoline engines.

Edited by drolds1

2 hours ago, drolds1 said:

Less carbon buildup where?  If you're talking about carbon buildup on the intake valves, then you're just wasting money.  By definition, direct injection means that the fuel/air mixture bypasses the intake valves completely.  That's the reason for carbon buildup on the intakes valves in the first place.  There's no "washing" of the valves by incoming fuel, hence the additive is doing nothing in that regard.  Not to mention that Ford does not recommend fuel additives for gasoline engines.

This is correct, and I should clarify one thing in regards to my use reasons of ACES IV. Also just how fuel combustion works to a degree.

My engine benefit because it was fuel treated from day 1 before carbon buildup became ever serious. A used vehicle from a previous owner with thousands of miles done, will not undo normal carbon build up without cleaning the valves directly with manual methods.

ACES IV helps by optimizing fuel for better combustion cycles. Fuel blow by is reduced the more "perfect" the combustion cycle is. Getting the hottest flame front means less blow by created. My engine experienced less blow by from building up in the first place than other owners just pumping standard gas. Think of it like a diet supplement, to maintain staying in shape rather than using it to help lose fat in the first place. There are no easy outs.

A big reason why BND Automotive is favoring of Dodge vehicles is because Dodge does not do Direct Injection (yet). Even the Hellcat engines are port fuel injection. When it comes to cleansing valves, port injection is required to help reduce active build up prior to treatment. Dont expect even ACES IV alone to actually clean off already, and especially any and all fuel system cleaners or octane booster. This is where the snake oil fact comes from.

Only modern Ford engines exceptions are Gen 3 5.0 Coyote and Gen 2 3.5 EcoBoost with the best option: PFDI Dual Injection. These two will benefit the best with ACES IV and can utilize fuel cleaners like Techron like how they were intended. Big reason why my next gasoline engine will be one of these, for that ultimate benefit.

So for DI only engines, the only way to avoid or reduce blow by is either improve combustion cycles with better fuel (flame front) burn, which ACES IV does at least help with. The fuel must always remain treated with every fuel up for the benefit however. There is also installing an active (not passive, those cheap systems are snake oil too) proper catch can ventilation system. Making fuel harder to burn with more Ethanol/Octane will result in more blow by, since pure gasoline (which also brings best fuel economy but less power) burns hotter with less work. This is always the biggest trade off. More power or cleaner engine/better fuel economy?

Dont think things like 93 octane shell is "cleaner" over 87 octane shell. Save the money if power is not the desire.

In the end, unless you're determined to keep a vehicle for a very long time, I wouldn't worry about any of this.