So all of us MKZ hybrid owners who are unfortunate have come to the realization that the OEM 12v battery that came with our cars were too small and underpowered to survive the rigorous demands of our heavily electronically focused cars. I'd like to refer to the Fusion Hybrid forums because they discuss this in great length here.

So I've been having issues with the 12v battery on my MKZh for the past couple of months. I've been able to keep the battery alive by jumpstarting it every now and then. i came back from 6 day vacation without driving it and now the battery is practically dead. jumpstarting it won't power on anything unless AAA jumpstarts it with their 1.5k Amp jumpstarter.

Afterwards I make a trip to Sears. They recommended me a Diehard 96R battery here. It has 590 CCA which is much better than the stock Motorcraft battery with 390 CAA and it was already on sale so I purchased it. The Sears technicians try to install the 96R but find its slightly too large to fit into the tray so they put back the Motorcraft battery and I leave with the 96R. 

I've read on the Fusion Hybrid Forums that you can cut off the backend wall of the battery tray to accommodate larger batteries. Seeing as the Fusion hybrid is pretty much the same car as the MKZh I figure I attempt this. A member on the FFH wrote a guide here. 

Anyone have experience upgrading their MKZh batteries ? What tools used to cut the tray? 

151239794_mkzhbatterytraycut.thumb.jpg.b0a076ccbb830cb574404fca6c3dbc8a.jpg

mkzh battery tray.jpg

Measure the space available behind the tray, to be sure the battery you have is going to fit. Then remove the tray, it looks like those three bolts should let it come out. Then you can work on the tray much easier out of the car, and clean it well too, plus your hands from handling it. Most plastics can be cut easily with rotary tools, but it melts a little as it goes. So trim it roughly near where you want it, and use either a rotary bit/tool to smooth the edges, or a file(much slower).

UPDATE:  I finally got around to removing the battery tray and trimming it down. Despite little experience using a rotary tool everything was straightforward and I was able to remove the wall section that was preventing my battery from fitting. Really messy and hot plastic granular pieces shooting on my face but its all good. 

I installed the new battery I got from Sears the Diehard EP-96R. After I installed it and mounted it I discovered i forgot to plug in the battery vent tube. I felt around the battery and I couldn't find any openings to plug in the vent tube. 

Is the vent tube necessary? If I drive with it unplugged would is the consequence of that? 

7 hours ago, Wynn_MKZh said:

UPDATE:  I finally got around to removing the battery tray and trimming it down. Despite little experience using a rotary tool everything was straightforward and I was able to remove the wall section that was preventing my battery from fitting. Really messy and hot plastic granular pieces shooting on my face but its all good. 

I installed the new battery I got from Sears the Diehard EP-96R. After I installed it and mounted it I discovered i forgot to plug in the battery vent tube. I felt around the battery and I couldn't find any openings to plug in the vent tube. 

Is the vent tube necessary? If I drive with it unplugged would is the consequence of that? 

HI Wynn.  If the Diehard is a vented battery (as opposed to sealed), then yes, the vent tube is necessary. This is especially true of the MKZ (not sure of battery location on the hybrids), due to the partially enclosed/hidden battery position up under the cowl in the back of the engine compartment.

The consequences? A possible build up of toxic and explosive battery fumes/gases. Also, the fumes are corrosive and can cause damage to the surrounding area.

I would recommend reconnecting it properly, if possible. Keep us updated and good luck.

Edit - Just as an FYI: Where did you obtain the information that your factory battery was only 390 CCA. According to your Owners Manual (page 331), the factory battery for the 2013 MKZh is a Motorcraft BXT-96R-500 or BXT-95R-590 (looks like the 590 may be discontinued). They have 500 and 590 CCA, respectively. Did you purchase your MKZh new or used? If used, the previous owner or the dealer may have replaced the battery with a cheaper/lower CCA one. You could have purchased a properly sized battery, with the 500+ CCA, which would have required no cutting of the battery tray.

Edited by bbf2530

There's still a Sears store open?

19 hours ago, Chris109 said:

There's still a Sears store open?

Hi Chris. Not sure if you are joking or asking the question seriously.  So...if you are really wondering, the answer is yes, there are still open Sears stores. 🤣

Edited by bbf2530

On 11/16/2018 at 6:08 PM, bbf2530 said:

Hi Chris. Not sure if you are joking or asking the question seriously.  So...if you are really wondering, the answer is yes, there are still open Sears stores. 🤣

Believe it or not, I was serious.  I thought I had heard that the remaining stores were closed.  But, it will probably be soon.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/15/business/sears-bankruptcy-hearing/index.html

Is there a YellowTop for MKZh?  I like to switch to larger one and see MPG improves..  Assuming 12v will help hybrid battery with load balancing...

Edited by jm98

9 hours ago, jm98 said:

Is there a YellowTop for MKZh?  I like to switch to larger one and see MPG improves..  Assuming 12v will help hybrid battery with load balancing...

OK.... I'll bite what is a YellowTop? A brand of Battery?

Yes, YELLOWTOP is a brand and Optima is one of their popular line of 12v batteries. 

Looks like YELLOWTOP does not have one for MKZh

YELLOWTOP Battery selector

"We’re sorry we don’t have an OPTIMA® battery that will fit your particular make and model vehicle."

Edited by jm98