Sign in to follow this  
Chris109

USB Port

On my 2017 hybrid, should there be only 1 usb port in the console?  In the manual, there is a picture of 2 ports, like in my 2013.  There is another in the 'ashtray', where on my 2013 there is a 12v port.  I'd like to replace the single port with a duo port to keep wires out of the way.  Does anyone know if this can be done?

1006181039.jpg

Hi Chris.  The USB port setup in your car is correct. One in the console and one in the "ashtray".

The Owners Manual can be confusing. It describes the center console setup correctly on Page 165, but shows two ports on page 369, which is probably what you were looking at. The inside-the-console setup was changed from 2 ports to one at some point, but the Owners Manual was not completely updated. In fact, as of June when I picked up my 2018, the Owners Manual has still not been updated.

In addition, according to trim level, you may also have two USB ports for the back seat passengers, at the rear of the entire center console in the back seat area. Thinking about it, I wonder if that is what the diagram shows on page 369.

Can it be changed to a two port? It would certainly be possible.  Perhaps you could retrofit the older two port part#. Or create your own port system.  However, I would advise against doing that until your MKZ is out of Warranty.  If you modify the system and have trouble later with SYNC, NAV, the audio system etc., Lincoln can deny those warranty claims if they find the modification. And with the tech heaviness of our cars, I would not recommend taking the chance.  Just my educated opinion.

Good luck.

You can get an adapter that plugs into the 12v outlet and provides a USB port. I use the rear seat port to charge my phone, keeps the cable out of the way. My music is on a USB stick inside the console, nice and neat.

18 hours ago, MKZMark said:

You can get an adapter that plugs into the 12v outlet and provides a USB port. I use the rear seat port to charge my phone, keeps the cable out of the way. My music is on a USB stick inside the console, nice and neat.

Don't know if you are aware, but there are 2 12v ports on the bottom of the center storage areas, toward the front.  I came across them.  

btw, I like to keep 2 usb sticks with my music.  The one is the ashtray sticks out and I sometimes worry about it breaking off if I hit it at the right angle.  I suppose I could see if one of those 'minis' will fit with that hood down.

port.jpg

Edited by Chris109

4 hours ago, Chris109 said:

Don't know if you are aware, but there are 2 12v ports on the bottom of the center storage areas, toward the front.  I came across them.  

btw, I like to keep 2 usb sticks with my music.  The one is the ashtray sticks out and I sometimes worry about it breaking off if I hit it at the right angle.  I suppose I could see if one of those 'minis' will fit with that hood down.

Hi Chris.  Just an FYI: Yes, a mini flash drive will fit in the "ashtray" USB port with the lid closed.  I have a 64GB mini plugged into mine all the time with the lid down.

Good luck.

Edited by bbf2530