• Custom Search

Sign in to follow this  
Ira Fink

Maybe you know something that Lincoln does not know

I have a 2017 mkz reserve hybrid and I decided to purchase an additional key fob which would bring the total to 3. After checking theFCC# on one of the originals I was able find and order via Amazon same keyfob. The seller did make mention that this keyfob cannot be programmed and has to be taken to a locksmith /dealer. Received unintelligent keyfob a few days later  and if one checks the manual under security there is a method for programming(my manual describes this on Page 76) the unintelligent keyfob. I tried a number of times with different variations how to do this and was unsuccessful.

So next I went to video's and questions as described by Ford and found for a 2017 mkz hybrid another method on how to program an unintelligent keyfob and btw this method is very different from the first and the questions the website asked me was the usual, vehicle, year and model. I tried this method and again I was unsuccessful.

Went to dealer for $84.80 and they programmed the third keyfob and I asked the mechanic was he successful with any method that I described above and said "NO"  Needed laptop and keyprogrammer  also the key part was also cut while at the dealer

So the question is Has anyone had luck programming a 2017 KEYFOB and why would they put this in the manual and another method on the website if it doesn't work and yes I did call Lincoln and their answer was the same if you can't get it to work see dealer

keyfob.jpg

keyfob1.jpg

keyfob2.jpg

Edited by Ira Fink
added additional file

I was able to program my third Admin key, with the procedure that you posted above, which is from the Owners Manual.  No laptop is needed, that was pure BS, and I had my key cut at a local locksmith for $30, but not all locksmiths can cut these keys.  Now the thing is, is that he procedure needs to be done within 30 seconds.  I had a bunch of failed attempts on programming my 3rd key  and was getting nowhere, then I finally got it to work by using a string on the FOBs to speed up the process (I read that trick on another Lincoln forum).  It worked on the 1st try with the strings attached.

And Welcome Aboard.

QpQxLhf.jpg

Edited by fusionff

Does the cupholder in the '17 look like what is in the picture in the manual?

1 hour ago, Chris109 said:

Does the cupholder in the '17 look like what is in the picture in the manual?

If it's not exactly like (can't check right now), it's awful close.

"Definitely YES" picture same as what I saw, the problem was that I needed the programming done first, there is a locksmith in my area that would have done the cutting of the key for $35.00. I did it just as fast as you did with no string and I also tried the 2nd method and my mistake when I said Ford , it should have been "Lincoln" then  year, make and model and then search and then one would see the 2nd method that I posted. 

The 2nd method is even faster then the 1st and requires no string and I got up to the point where I should have seen flashing, No flashing observed.

keyfob3.jpg

keyfob4.jpg

keyfob5.jpg