Sign in to follow this  
2015Reserve

Best trailer hitch to purchase ?

Hi, have a 2015 MKZ and want to get feedback from others on what trailer hitch they recommend.    I have only seen them online.   Curt and Drawtite.  The Curt looks like you have to remove the plastic wind deflector, the Drawtite you don't.  The Curt is tucked up underneath more and the Drawtite looks like it is a little lower but set back more and you keep the deflector on.   I might even look at the Curt and modify my deflector to fit with it.

I want a hitch but also want to keep it as unnoticeable as possible because the rear end is the car's best view.  The Curt is rated at 3,500lbs. and the Drawtite 2,000lbs. both fine for my application.   Any other brands out there?

Thanks for your help.

What do you plan to tow?

What do you plan to tow?

Bicycles, snowmobile trailer

Have you looked at Hidden Hitch?  Had one on a Mustang track car that towed a tire trailer. Barely noticeable when the bar is removed.

Edited by jmcgliss

Howdy.  If you have the 3.7L, I say you're fine.  However, if you have the 2.0L, I'll advise you to pass on a hitch, and rent a truck and trailer.  The stress on the tranny is not worth it.  

I read the post as an inquiry regarding available hitches for a particular application, not whether the vehicle should or should not be used for towing.

I have the 3.7l.   I am going to tow.   I had a Saturn Aura XR with a 3.6l and a tow rating of 1,000lbs, the MKX has a tow rating of 1,000lbs.    I towed 1 or 2 sleds or motorcycles 1,000s of miles.  I use manual shift and don't run it in 6th for heavy loads.   Looking for the best hitch for fitment and looks.   Thanks for your replies.

Here is the Hidden Hitch on our Mustang Cobra.  With the cap removed, a flat bar holding the ball slides in place.

post-2375-0-39953300-1525293065_thumb.jpg

Howdy.  If you have the 3.7L, I say you're fine.  However, if you have the 2.0L, I'll advise you to pass on a hitch, and rent a truck and trailer.  The stress on the tranny is not worth it.  

Why is that? If I'm not mistaken, both engines use the 6F50 transmission. The 2.0 makes better power down low than the V6 - when you're towing, peak horsepower at 6500rpm doesn't matter.

Why is that? If I'm not mistaken, both engines use the 6F50 transmission. The 2.0 makes better power down low than the V6 - when you're towing, peak horsepower at 6500rpm doesn't matter.

Both engines are rated to tow 1000lbs.  The don't have the same trans.  The 2.0 uses the 6F35.  AFAIK, there's no version of the 6F50 that mates to an I4 block.  

Both engines are rated to tow 1000lbs.  The don't have the same trans.  The 2.0 uses the 6F35. 

Very interesting! I was having trouble tracking down which trans was used.

The tow ratings, in America at least, are more related to chassis and typical highway speed than they are drivetrain power. The same 2.0 EcoBoost in the Explorer is rated to tow 2000lbs.