• Custom Search

Sign in to follow this  
hrlinc

Low oil pressure light came on

I was driving today on the highway at about 80 mph when the Low oil pressure warning light came on. I pulled over popped the hood looking for a leak or other indicators. Nothing. Checked oil level and it was fine. Restarted the car and drove 25 miles to home with no return of warning light. Hoping it was a gremlin and not something worse.

I recall hrlinc has the 3.0 and even is tuned.

Find out if your build date falls in or near TSB for faulty cylinder heads. While oil level might be fine, mentioning you were at higher speeds indicate something wasn't happy at the time. But you did not mention having a flashing CEL and misfire event.

If you can check for any DTCs it would help.

Perhaps keep driving like normal for now, but if you get a flashing CEL, it's time to check spark plugs and get it in for service. I never got the low oil pressure warning on mine, only misfire events.

I do have the 3.0. It was built )ct 2016 so right in the TSB timeline. I have had the CEL pop up at times after the tune was installed, but it goes away. (three times total) I did a DTC with the tuner and it came up with the P0306 code which is a misfire. I'm really hoping it's electronic and not engine rebuild

Hate to burst that bubble, but that is the exact same issue of misfire events I would have.

I advise checking spark plugs, and if not wanting to do so yourself, have the dealership do it. But high chance to expect new heads like I just got done. Its not an electronic bug I hate to say.

You're losing pressure as oil is seeping where it shouldn't be when under pressure, and it must be worse than mine was to actually trigger the warning light. Misfire results from a spark plug getting fouled.

Edited by Zalvern

Yep I am fearing the worst. Lincoln dealer will pick it up tomorrow and leave me a loaner. I checked DTC with the tuner and came up with P0524 (low oil pressure). Also got B14E5 and B14E7. Can't find those listed anywhere. How is your rebuild going? How many days in shop will it be total?

B14E5 and B14E7 are body control module lighting codes. These can happen during the event the vehicle went into power saving mode or the battery was disconnected, or even after a tuning flash. Though minor, they might indicate some wiring being off if they repeatedly come back again.

Time flies...and thing is my Lincoln dealer is a small shop and understaffed. With that said, it has taken about 6 weeks (About two spent trying to get it to act up, then 1 week the tech was on vacation, finally got approved for warranty repair despite not misfiring, then past few weeks spent with rework) so far, but nearing the finishing stages as the engine is being remounted in the car this week, then being detailed since it is a Black Label (even non-Black Label Lincoln dealers can arrange for the professional detailing service). I've been patient with them though because despite the wait, they have been good. Keeping me in the loop, letting me actually see my vehicle and of course getting all the pictures and what not that pipes my curiosity with the 3.0, and I got a fully loaded reserve Continental that has the 3.0T engine in it, so while I of course do not tune it, I still have a strong vehicle to hold me over.

Depending on your service center's size and all, I would just inquire about at least getting a loaner that you can enjoy in the meantime. In fact, you can always ask them to change around in loaners while waiting for your vehicle just to experience the different vehicles. Getting to live with the Continental is nice (but has affirmed decision the MKZ was the correct choice for me), and people I got to drive around got a kick out of all its gizmos with the 30 way seats and also the additions to the rear passenger seats. I do wish our MKZ could have the integrated HUD but that'll probably come in future models.

I was given a Continental Reserve as well yesterday when the valet came to my job and picked up my car. Talked to the service advisor about the TSB 17-2235 and concerns that they may think that replacing a sensor or two may not be the end all fix. 

Final result is the dealer couldn't find anything wrong. They had the car a week. Drove it around no CEL or stumbles. Drained oil and saw no loss. Spoke with Ford hotline and followed there advisories. No luck. Did not check plugs as they had no DTC or symptoms to go there. So I've had it back for a little over a week and nothing abnormal is noted. Best part was the loaner was a Continental Reserve with my powertrain. Nice car!