Sign in to follow this  
ZED

AWD overheat?

Today my 2017 MKZ AWD decided not to function I had driven only about 5 miles the car was still cold it was 50 Deg F here in Western Massachusetts today so not exactly hot outside. I look at the dash and it says "AWD can be disabled press ok?" Or something to this effect. Anyway I push ok and switch the display to the AWD monitoring and yes only the front wheels are lit up so no AWD. I went into a store for 15 min and all was back to normal when I left.

According to the manual this is normal if the AWD system overheats? But overheats in 5 miles on a cool day? Does this seem normal? Have any of you ever seen this issue?

That happened to me once and it was in the 40s.  Hadn't driven far at all.  I didn't get a choice, though.  It just said "AWD Disabled."  It was gone on the next start cycle and has never reoccurred.  I considered it just one of those glitches in these cars that clears itself.

If you don't see it again, I wouldn't worry too much.  Obviously you didn't do anything to overheat the AWD system.

Thank you for your reply I will just keep an eye on it.