MKZ30AWD

Livernois Tune Times...

First pass on a drag strip in the 2017 MKZ Drivers package... 12.662 @ 109.46 mph.  Only had time for one pass. 

1. Livernois 91 tune, yes just the 91 tune... no 93 near me ūüė쬆
  2. Michelin Pilot Sport 4's all round 
  3. Steeda modded intake 
  4. Ultimate Performance Rear Motor Mount for wheel-hop control 
  5. Exhaust cutouts open to reduce rear muffler back-pressure 

Track prep was not great as most cars were spinning significantly. The best a new BMW M4 was getting on that track prep was 13.3 and a fire-spitting Supra was pulling 12.62.   I brought the MKZ up against the torque converter to about 50% throttle just before launch to get the turbos spinning. I was scared WOT would wheel-hop. I probably could have gone WOT if the track prep was better to get the boost up even higher for launch. I shifted at about 5800 rpm in first and second as I was worried I was going to get wheel-hop like I do on the street. Didn't get any wheel-hop though. 

With good track prep, the Ultimate Performance Intercooler and Transmission Mount for a WOT launch, a larger Throttle Body, the GFB DV+ to hold the boost, the 93 tune and fuel, and shifting later...  I think this sleeper just might squeak into the 11s!  Anyone gone better than 12.5 yet? 

20190621_215146.jpg

20190621_210910.jpg

I only have the tune, when cold it jerks into 2nd and sometimes 3rd which is frustrating and once when going WOT from a light the rev limiter kicked in at 5500rpm and I had to back off. It hasn't done that since but I worry about drag racing the car as my 2018 A10 GT transmission blew at the drag strip so I'm a bit gun shy right now.

12.6 is very nice! I'm hoping for a 13.0 with the 93 tune with nothing else done.

2 hours ago, Loki-MKZ said:

I only have the tune, when cold it jerks into 2nd and sometimes 3rd which is frustrating and once when going WOT from a light the rev limiter kicked in at 5500rpm and I had to back off. It hasn't done that since but I worry about drag racing the car as my 2018 A10 GT transmission blew at the drag strip so I'm a bit gun shy right now.

12.6 is very nice! I'm hoping for a 13.0 with the 93 tune with nothing else done.

Dang, stinks to hear your Mustang's transmission failed. I hope it got better for you afterwards.

It is, the nature of the beast with drag racing, and why I don't make too much of a big deal how well a non-drag focused vehicle performs. Without drag-focused radials, the vehicle is already bottle necked by its rubber if rolling street tires. MKZ will require this along with good overall track prep and DA readings to hit high 11's. Otherwise, won't see that kind of performance on a time slip.

The MKZ and other cars in general will just be more true to their abilities outside of the strip. So the nice thing is whatever time slips one pulls off, its actually doing better than that on real life roads. Of course, always drive responsibly and respectfully!

That's why I go to the drag strip, to let it all hang out and have fun so on the street I can be mellow. The Mustang ran that 11.7@121 on the stock craptastic Goodyear All Weather tires so she she could easily have gone 11.5 with real tires. The car is still at Ford because apparently very few people know how to rebuild the 10r80 so I'm in a line, this year is looking to be a low miles year so I'm looking at the positives.

My MKZ on the street doesn't have wheel hop issues, thankfully they just squeal a bit and the car is off like a rocket. I haven't and don't street race my cars but it's nice to know what they're capable of. Car and Driver calls the 400hp MKZ hilariously over powered, I call it hilariously entertaining. :)

On 6/24/2019 at 1:21 PM, Brennan said:

First pass on a drag strip in the 2017 MKZ Drivers package... 12.662 @ 109.46 mph.  Only had time for one pass. 

1. Livernois 91 tune, yes just the 91 tune... no 93 near me ūüė쬆
  2. Michelin Pilot Sport 4's all round 
  3. Steeda modded intake 
  4. Ultimate Performance Rear Motor Mount for wheel-hop control 
  5. Exhaust cutouts open to reduce rear muffler back-pressure 

Track prep was not great as most cars were spinning significantly. The best a new BMW M4 was getting on that track prep was 13.3 and a fire-spitting Supra was pulling 12.62.   I brought the MKZ up against the torque converter to about 50% throttle just before launch to get the turbos spinning. I was scared WOT would wheel-hop. I probably could have gone WOT if the track prep was better to get the boost up even higher for launch. I shifted at about 5800 rpm in first and second as I was worried I was going to get wheel-hop like I do on the street. Didn't get any wheel-hop though. 

With good track prep, the Ultimate Performance Intercooler and Transmission Mount for a WOT launch, a larger Throttle Body, the GFB DV+ to hold the boost, the 93 tune and fuel, and shifting later...  I think this sleeper just might squeak into the 11s!  Anyone gone better than 12.5 yet? 

20190621_215146.jpg

20190621_210910.jpg

Outstanding!

Brennan- Thanks for sharing your slips. I have basically the same vehicle as you (2017 same color-driver's package). I don't have the exhaust cut-outs or the rear motor mount. In addition to the modified Steeda, I have the GFB diverter,  the UP Intercooler, and the Unleashed 93P tune. Since I probably won't make it to a track, it is fun to see what you got out of your mods. One of these days, I really have to figure out how to launch one of these though....