Sign in to follow this  
jimflutes

Arm pad question.

Does anyone know if it would be possible to swap out my 2016 arm rest on the console with the 2017 arm rest. They both are attached by a hinge , but are they the same dimensions ?  

IDK.  The console was revised for '17.  It might be more a question of whether the hinges match than dimensions.  How about measuring and taking a few pictures of yours and then checking one out at a dealer to see how well they match up?

Just curious, but why do you want to do this swap?

Well one of my pet peeves about my first Z and now my second was the flat arm rest , which I use a lot on long trips , the 17 Z has a really nice raised arm rest on the console as does the 17 Fusion . I was at the dealership and talked to the parts manager but all he did was show me the part and number on the computer. Your idea is a good one ,as usual ,  and I will try that as I am going to the dealer soon. Of course it is no big deal but something I am going to toy with. Thanks for the advice drolds1

I realized I can measure mine and take some pics of the hinge for you.  I'll take care of it ASAP.

Thank you,well it is snowing like crazy here in the northeast and I am not going out any time soon so I am having a good time on the forum. A while back when I first purchased the car someone posed the question of what would you change on your new 2013 Z ,and my response was the arm pad . I like this car so much that was the only thing I could think of , and it is a such a little thing , well sure enough Lincoln must have been on to this because of  the change in the 17 model. Anyway it is an interesting idea if it is possible to change the armrest , as I am planning to have this car for sometime. My car is out in the carport so I have not trudged through the snow to take my own measurements. I think the main thing is if the hinge is the same on both.

Yeah, we got clipped by that storm yesterday.  I think it's worse in the NE area.  We got about 5" but places on the east end of LI got 18".  Third storm in two weeks.  And we thought winter was over.  Not so fast!  

Anyway, FYI. the console lid/armrest is 15" long and 8" wide at the widest part.  The latter is due to the way the front of the lid is cut on an angle to meet with the front part of the console at the shut line.  Unfortunately, the hinge mechanism isn't exposed so a comparison can't be made without disassembly.  Some pics are att'd. FWIW. Hope they're helpful.

Maybe an auto trim shop could modify your lid to your liking.

Good luck with the snow . ;)

post-5-0-48058400-1521048174_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-37156800-1521048212_thumb.jpgpost-5-0-57590100-1521048243_thumb.jpgpost-5-0-36405500-1521048266_thumb.jpg

I did not realize you have the 17 Z and the " beautiful arm rest " . I see how it is cut on the angle to meet the console and it is raised up and it is padded , just great ,I really like this arm rest.. Thanks you for the pictures . Well it is something I can explore as the weather gets better. Oh yea the snow , over two feet just today on top of what was here , we are use to this here in the mountains but it does get to a point !. Hey after seeing your great license plate frame I got inspired and went on a search for a new one , I am posting pictures on the hybrid site.