Sign in to follow this  
xceebeex

Satellite Antenna Fault

So I just recently got this error message when trying to use XM (and yes the subscription is active). It worked on my drive to church Sunday morning, but when I went to leave church, this error showed up. FM radio works fine. Has anyone seen this issue before? Any idea what it might be? Any way to troubleshoot any further? Could this be anything related to the ASIM TSB?

Thanks!

If your car is a Mazda 6, why are you posting here?

That aside, you need to have a scan tool hooked up to tell you what the problem is.  Probably a bad sat antenna.

If your car is a Mazda 6, why are you posting here?

That aside, you need to have a scan tool hooked up to tell you what the problem is.  Probably a bad sat antenna.

Haha, sorry, I never updated that. Current car is a 2013 3.7 AWD MKZ w/Panoramic Roof. Would a normal scan tool see codes like that or do I need a specialized tool? I have an OBD2 scanner (its an Actron, I just forget which model off-hand) that supposedly also will detect some make specific codes.

No.  A specialized scan tool is necessary.  The dealer has it or a well-equipped independent shop might have it.

Edited by drolds1

So I downloaded FORScan and was able to look at the more "detailed" error codes and they didn't really provide much more detail. It showed two faults that were satellite antenna related. Then the weird thing, today while out running errands, I randomly tried to use XM again and it worked. It worked for a about 5 minutes and then the fault came back. That happened one more time on my trip, but not it is off again.

So to me that seems like it is not a completely bad unit, and may be a connection or wiring issue. Does anyone know where the module is?

They're usually somewhere in the trunk behind the rear seat.  Remove the trunk lid liner and follow the wire that's connected to the antenna.  However, you still don't know what  he problem is without the codes. 

Here are the codes:

===ACM DTC B1A89:11-0A===
Code: B1A89 - Satellite Antenna

Additional Fault Symptom:
 - Circuit Short To Ground

- DTC Present at Time of Request
 - Malfunction Indicator Lamp is Off for this DTC

Module: Audio Control Module

===END ACM DTC B1A89:11-0A===

===ACM DTC B1A89:13-0A===
Code: B1A89 - Satellite Antenna

Additional Fault Symptom:
 - Circuit Open

- DTC Present at Time of Request
 - Malfunction Indicator Lamp is Off for this DTC

Module: Audio Control Module

===END ACM DTC B1A89:13-0A===

What is weird about the two faults is one says it is an open circuit and the other says it is a short, can't be both.

Edited by xceebeex

There was a TSB for Mustangs for this code.  It was a wiring issue in those cars.  Try checking for any damaged wiring coming from the antenna.

There was a TSB for Mustangs for this code.  It was a wiring issue in those cars.  Try checking for any damaged wiring coming from the antenna.

I brought it to the dealer since I wanted them to fix another TSB anyway and they determine it was a bad harness. They quoted about $215 total for the parts and labor. I didn't give them the go ahead yet because I was going to see if it was something that was fairly easy to do and I could just tackle it myself. I can't seem to find any good instructions anywhere that shows where the harness is routed, etc.

Is there a good site to go to in order to see how to replace it? Also, I would need to figure out if it is one complete harness or if there are multiple harnesses and then I would have to figure out which part number it is.

My MKZ Just started doing this over the weekend. Also Displays an update notice but gets stuck at 0%. I called the dealership and they instructed me to disconnect the battery for 5 minutes and then reconnect it. This usually clears up the update issue. But what I noticed now is... by opening the deck lid, the Satellite radio starts to play. Close the deck lid and it cuts out and the message returns. I have not done the battery thing yet... I will post results after giving it a go. If it does not work, the dealership will get to fix this. 

Disconnecting the battery to reset everything did nothing to resolve this issue. What I am still experiencing is the radio displays the name of the station and the song that's playing but no sound. If I open the deck lid the sound will come on. I let it play for awhile and then close the deck lid. After 3 to 5 seconds the sound cuts off. Sounds like a bad wire or lose connection to me. Dealership will be seeing me soon.