Sign in to follow this  
drolds1

Check Your Dipstick, Literally

The owner's manual shows that the engine oil dipstick for the 3.0 looks like this:

Engine Oil Dipstick - 3.0L

E188072_EUR.JPG

... and the 2.0 dipstick like this:

Engine Oil Dipstick - 2.0L
E142462_EUR.JPG

However, mine looks nothing like the illustration in the manual but does look like the one shown for the 2.0 instead.

Could another 3.0 owner please check theirs?  Thanks.

Edited by drolds1

Drolds, just went out to check for you (it's freezing outside!)

Anyway, mine, like yours, looks like the pic of the 2.0 dipstick.

What to think? 

Edited by longislander

IDK what to think.  Either they made a change after the OM was printed or it's the wrong dipstick.  It wouldn't be the first time for either.

I'm due for an oil change soon.  I'll bring it up when I go in.

Thanks for checking!  It is cold tonight.

IDK what to think.  Either they made a change after the OM was printed or it's the wrong dipstick.  It wouldn't be the first time for either.

I'm due for an oil change soon.  I'll bring it up when I go in.

Thanks for checking!  It is cold tonight.

Drolds, just went out to check for you (it's freezing outside!)

Anyway, mine, like yours, looks like the pic of the 2.0 dipstick.

What to think? 

OK guys.... make up your mind it's either Cold or Freezing out  :wub:   :giggle:

Come on down....mid 70's today by me

OK guys.... make up your mind it's either Cold or Freezing out  :wub:   :giggle:

Come on down....mid 70's today by me

It's freezing cold.

So we can come stay with you? ;)

It's freezing cold.

So we can come stay with you? ;)

Sure, I got room.... bring your golf clubs

My 3.0 of course has the 2.0L style dipstick. Every 2.7L engine block I've seen also has the 2.0L style dipstick. I prefer it anyways since the two little seep holes make it easy to know if you're at correct oil level safety levels.

All that matters is oil reading keep hole A filled (otherwise block has too little oil) and NOT reach hole B (meaning too much oil). 6.0 quarts is the tip of the hash markings.

There was also a mistake on some early manuals calling for 5.7 quarts of oil instead the correct 6.0 quarts. Luckily Lincoln seems to have removed all traces of it.

Edited by Zalvern

Sure, I got room.... bring your golf clubs

Thanks.  Just send your address.

Does everyone follow the oil check procedure in the manual (run to full temp then wait 15 minutes before checking)?

Also, I found it interesting that it says not to top off the oil, but wait until it's at the add mark then add a full quart. With previous vehicles that used some oil, I'd let it get between the add and full marks then top it off.

My 3.0 of course has the 2.0L style dipstick. Every 2.7L engine block I've seen also has the 2.0L style dipstick. I prefer it anyways since the two little seep holes make it easy to know if you're at correct oil level safety levels.

All that matters is oil reading keep hole A filled (otherwise block has too little oil) and NOT reach hole B (meaning too much oil). 6.0 quarts is the tip of the hash markings.

There was also a mistake on some early manuals calling for 5.7 quarts of oil instead the correct 6.0 quarts. Luckily Lincoln seems to have removed all traces of it.

Thanks.  I guess they printed the manual before the change was made.  The early Lincoln LSes had a mix-up in the incorrect oil capacity in the OM also.  It was further complicated by the fact that the Sport versions had oil coolers while the non-Sports didn't, even though the same engines were used in both. :headscratch:

The 2018 OM shows a dipstick with just the holes.  No crosshatching:

E170468_EUR.JPG