Sign in to follow this  
Antonio

Hood Latch Stuck

I have a 2013 Lincoln MKZ, which was bought used from a dealer. I just found out that I can release the hood form the inside 

of the vehicle, but the hand lever under the hood doesn't actually move the latch over for me to open the hood. Has anyone 

ever encountered this problem? I'm due for an oil change and I have to add windshield fluid, as it is snowing here in Cleveland, Ohio.

Any help is appreciated. 

You cannot keep the hood all the way up against the safety lock and move the handle at the same time to release it.... It is a tight fit for my hand but you must lower the hood just a little and use the tip of your finger to release the safety latch.

See if that does it for you

I can definitely get my hand in there along with a screwdriver too. I've tried moving the lever, while pushing on the latch and that doesn't work. I tried holding the lever back and pushing the latch as well...no go. The only other thing I can think to do, is have someone pull the lever inside of the car while I use the screw driver to push the latch. I'm pretty sure that the lever inside of the car is for the lower latch of the hood though. The upper latch is controlled by the hand lever under the hood. i'm going to try it anyway.

Mine got sticky a few months ago. Not wanting to continue fighting with it to get the hood open, I sprayed the mechanism with some Maxfilm and it operates much easier since then. I have a little over 80,000 miles on the car. No salt here in the Houston, TX area, but I bought the car used and it could have been in the salt up North in it's previous life.

This had been a Ford Motor Company problem for a lot of years.  Lack of lubrication has always been the issue.  The unhood mechanism HAS to be periodically lubed to realize long term use.  Think the first time I saw this was back in 2005 on a Ford...don't remember model.  Long screwdriver released it and it was evident it hadn't been lubed since the factory did it. One of the issues that happen when we think we know more than the local dealer on service.