joswald21

Knocking Noise from Underneath the car when Idling/at Idle

Hello...we bought our MKZ on 2017-11-25.

My wife and I have both heard a rhythmic knocking noise that seems to occur after the car has been idling for several minutes.

I'm 95% sure that it's coming from underneath the car.  It seems to be loudest at the rear floor just behind the front seats.  It MAY even be happening more toward the driver's side of the car.

Is anyone else hearing the same kinda thing?

Any ideas?

Edited by joswald21

I have no noise like that.  Maybe part of the exhaust system is hitting the floor. You should definitely make a service appointment. 

The car (2017 MKZ 2.0 AWD) was at the dealer today.  They say that they only heard the normal EcoBoost High Injection Pump noise characteristic of the 2.0 turbo.

What I don't know is whether that is the same noise my wife and I heard.  I don't know for sure, but I think the pump noise would come from under the hood.

The next time I hear the noise, I'll be sure to make a quick video.

Edited by joswald21

Sounds like BS to me.  I've had  several 2.0 service loaners and have never heard any knocking noise under the floor.  AFAIK, high pressure GDI pumps don't make knocking sounds.  Complaints about noise with these usually concern clicking of the injectors due to the high pressure they operate under.  Ask to drive another 2.0 MKZ and see if it's "normal."

Sounds like BS to me.  I've had  several 2.0 service loaners and have never heard any knocking noise under the floor.  AFAIK, high pressure GDI pumps don't make knocking sounds.  Complaints about noise with these usually concern clicking of the injectors due to the high pressure they operate under.  Ask to drive another 2.0 MKZ and see if it's "normal."

Total BS...

I don't know about anyone here, but I've NEVER met a New Car Dealer Service Department that I've liked.

I haven't been to a dealer service department in many years due to high cost and poor service, but my Z has 4000 miles on it and I'll be taking it to Carman Ford/Lincoln in New Castle DE when it hits 7500 and thereafter.

I haven't been to a dealer service department in many years due to high cost and poor service, but my Z has 4000 miles on it and I'll be taking it to Carman Ford/Lincoln in New Castle DE when it hits 7500 and thereafter.

Have you heard the knocking noise described above?

Have you heard the knocking noise described above?

Never although I generally don't let it sit and idle for that long.

I never heard it in my previous 4 MKZs but I do hear it in my current one (2.0 2017) however I also hear it in my buddy’s 2018 3.0. Unfortunately I have no idea what it is.

Could you get a video of the noise possibly?  The sound might actually help someone identify what it is.  I'd help but I don't have my car yet.

I have noticed the noise on my 2017 MKZ 3.0T I actually noticed it when I picked up the car and the salesman noticed it too. We could not figure out what it was but I have not noticed the noise since?