Changing Wheels for Winter

Chris109

It won't cause any problems as long as the diameter and rolling circumference of the winter tire/wheel combo closely approximates that of the factory setup.  You can do comparisons by plugging information into a tire comparison chart, such as this one.

Bear in mind that MKZs are available with 18" wheels/tires from the factory in 245/45/18 size.  If you enter those two sizes into the above chart, they are identical in all dimensions:

10e20f8f-7500-4495-b17e-fc330e4765df.png

I am in the process of doing the same thing. I live in Boston Area, but frequently travel to Rochester / Buffalo area. I have the 19" wheels and have gone with the Michelin X Ice XI3 245/45/18 on some low cost wheels from Pep Boy ($125 each) for the winter. Tires mounted and balanced were $280 each, wheels were $125 each and the OEM TPMS sensors were $62 each. Grand total = $1868..........

The 18 wheels give a better ride...............

Thanks.  And wouldn't the 18" get better gas mileage?

Not based on size alone, since they have identical dimensions to the 19" combo.   The EPA mileage ratings don't change between the 18s and 19s.

The softer rubber compound of the winter tires might have higher rolling resistance that the OE all-season tires and that could impact MPG somewhat.

It won't cause any problems as long as the diameter and rolling circumference of the winter tire/wheel combo closely approximates that of the factory setup.  You can do comparisons by plugging information into a tire comparison chart, such as this one.

Bear in mind that MKZs are available with 18" wheels/tires from the factory in 245/45/18 size.  If you enter those two sizes into the above chart, they are identical in all dimensions:

10e20f8f-7500-4495-b17e-fc330e4765df.png

Sorry drolds1 but that does not make sense. If the overall diameter between 18" & 19" tires are the same then the circumference would have to be the same but the sidewall of a 19" tire would have to be less than an 18" tire to make up the difference.  They are not identical in all dimensions.

I ran the same tire sizes as you provided in the calculator at the link and it did come up with different resultsTire%20size%20comparison.png?dl=0.

I am having problems posting pictures so here is the info from the calculator

Size 1 245/45/R18

Size 2 245/40/R19

Diameter    26.7"   26.7"   0%

Width          9.6"     9.6"     0%

Sidewall      4.3"     3.9"     -9.3%

Circum.      83.8"   83.9"    0%

Revs/Mile   779     778      -1

I am in the process of doing the same thing. I live in Boston Area, but frequently travel to Rochester / Buffalo area. I have the 19" wheels and have gone with the Michelin X Ice XI3 245/45/18 on some low cost wheels from Pep Boy ($125 each) for the winter. Tires mounted and balanced were $280 each, wheels were $125 each and the OEM TPMS sensors were $62 each. Grand total = $1868..........

The 18 wheels give a better ride...............

I have said this for years, some cars salesmen have argued with me (to buy the larger wheel size) but it is pure logic.... larger sidewall = more air.... more air = softer ride

Just comparing the 19's on my 17 MKZ to the 18's that were on my 13 Z. These are the same Perilli P7+ a/s,the ride on the 19's are the same or a little better,gas mileage 41 on the 18's , 40.3 on 19's (ecco off, better pick up).  The tires are good for snow up to 3 to 4 inches , other than that I do not go out on the road. If I were to get winter tires I would go for the Michelin X because of ratings.    

Sorry drolds1 but that does not make sense. If the overall diameter between 18" & 19" tires are the same then the circumference would have to be the same but the sidewall of a 19" tire would have to be less than an 18" tire to make up the difference.  They are not identical in all dimensions.

I ran the same tire sizes as you provided in the calculator at the link and it did come up with different resultsTire%20size%20comparison.png?dl=0.

Size 1 245/45/R18

Size 2 245/40/R19

You're right.  I should have caught that.  I used another source (Discount Tire):

3b5b2d5c-5114-436d-822b-6f0173405cb6.png

In the end, though, the difference  is negligible. At 65mph, the speedometer if off by .1mph.

Good catch!  I'm glad somebody is on their toes. ;)

Size 1 245/45/R18

Size 2 245/40/R19

I forgot I could attach a file, here is the "Tire size calculator" screen I got....not sure why yours has different number for the results, click to enlarge

post-737-0-71855000-1510919048_thumb.png

Edited by R2D2

• 2 weeks later...

I just completed a 1000 mile trip to Niagara on the Lake from Boston on my new Michelin X Ice X13's. Absolutely NO difference in road noise between these and my Conti DWS Extreme Contact All Seasons. No appreciable difference in MPG's either.... dropped from 25.9 to 25.7 MPG .... actual calculated MPG's. Ride quality was not quite as smooth. Still have not seen any snow with them, but will update when I do.

Has anyone considered dropping to 17's for winter tires with more profile? I assume they would clear the brakes since some Fusions are fitted with 17's.

I'd do a test fit.  I seem to recall reading that the front brakes on the 2nd-gen MKZ were larger than those on the Fusion.  That may have only applied to the 3.7, though and I'm not 100% sure about that either.

Brake rotor diameter on the MKZ is 1" larger than the Fusion. I received the wrong rotors from a distributor and when I went to return them the service rep told me I had purchased a Fusion part number. Long story short, they listed that number for the MKZ and it was 1" too small.

Thanks for the info.