Buying used: How to tell if it's got the STHP?

dnarud13

Don't have a Z yet, but after a year of researching cars, I'm pretty sure I've decided on the MKZ.  Now I'm just pinning down the options I'll look for.  Enthusiast forums are the best place for info on a car and this looks to be the most active forum dedicated to the Z.  So, thanks for having me! 

I'm looking for a '14-'16 Reserve with the Ecoboost, a/c seats, moonroof (pano a +) & THX. Now I'm comparing FWD w/ AWD.  I'm in the south so I don't have to worry about snow, but I do like responsive handling.  I want to drive the two back to back for comparison.  Atlanta's up the road from me and there are quite a few to choose from there. 

I've Googled and key word searched this site but haven't found a definitive answer.  I know that the summer tire handling pkg only came on the AWD.  The dark painted pocket 19" wheels seem to be the main indicator, but I'm seeing those on FWD cars also, so it's not a for sure tell.  How can I tell for sure?

The wheels became a free-standing option for the 2014MY.  That explains why you're seeing them on non-AWD cars.  Yes, the handling package was only available on AWD cars.  The option code for the package is

14H.  You'd have to be able to reproduce the window sticker to see for sure.  Outside of that, entering the VIN into Ford ETIS will show everything the car was built with.  (Note that no matter what VIN you enter, it will show Ford Transit Connect as the vehicle.  Ignore that). 

Personally, I think you're going to have an extremely difficult time finding an MKZ with the handling package.  IDK how many were made but it has to be infinitesimal.  Few people even knew it existed.  I've never seen one in any dealer's inventory.  BTW, I think you'll find that for a car that was never billed as a sport sedan, these cars are no slouches in the handling department.

Good luck with your search.  Let us know how it turns out.

Any idea how the STHP is listed in the ETIS?  When expanding the the "Minor Features" tab, on the 50 AWD's that I've looked up on there, there is no "Summer" or "Handling" or "14H" package listed on any of them.

"Continuous Control Chass Susp" is listed on every one, as you would expect.  Could it possibly be called "Enhanced Interact Vehicle Dynamics"?  I've found just a few of those.

That's not it then.  So, no way to tell? :-(

Unless ...

... the whole STHP was eyewash corporate made up to cover their tire switching for the Edmunds review. 

The only reason for looking for a so equipped car was for the 'special' computer coding.  But if it was just a marketing CYA, and there really isn't any difference in coding, it's a non-issue.  The tires I can always get. The wheels are pretty common.   Makes my search a whole lot easier.  Ecoboost, AWD, pano, THX, heat/cool seats and the right colors.

Edited by dnarud13

• 3 months later...

So after some research I seem to have cracked the STHP code in the ETIS database (in case you can't get access to the Monroney window sticker). Note: these findings are based on the 2015 model year so YMMV.

The Monroney will include these 3 items under Optional Equipment;

• 245/45R19 99Y Summer Tires - No Charge
  • Handling Package - $1565
  • 19" Polalum Whls W/ptd Pkts - No Charge

There appear to be 2 items that will indicate the car has STHP in the ETIS Minor Features of the report;

• Enhanced Interact Vehicle Dynamics
  • 245/40 ZR 19 BSW

Like the hybrid they also did not include a spare tire with the STHP option so you will also see these 2 additional items in the Minor Features report;

• Kit - Tyre Repair Service
  • Less Spare Tyre

In a normally equipped car the above mentioned Minor Features will read as follows:

• With Electronic Stability Control
  • 245/40 R 19
  • Less Tyre Repair Service Kit
  • Spare Tyre - T125/70 D17

Happy hunting!