Jump to content
   
  • Custom Search


houtex

Cracked Windshield, No Replacements Available

Recommended Posts

I am having my first real issue with my MKZ and I am not happy.

 

My windshield has a crack that goes along my line of sight

I scheduled service and got approval from my insurance to replace the windshield.

 

Turns out since I have all the bells and whistles, there are no replacement windshields available for the type of windshield I need.

The windshields are made by a third party company and are apparently on back order.

 

Are there no new cars being built with these windshields? Apparently a special ordered windshield would take months.

 

This really sucks and sours on the Lincoln experience. Eight months into ownership of a 50,000 car and you can't get a windshield replaced.

 

Would appreciate any suggestions on how to handle this.

Edited by houtex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
   

Did somethig hit your windshield ?  My windshield cracked on my 13 MKZ (after a week of ownership) in the top corner on the drives side going over a hard bump.. My dealer covered it and did not have to deal with insurance...

Edited by Robert Iggy Cerami

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did somethig hit your windshield ?  My windshield cracked on my 13 MKZ (after a week of ownership) in the top corner on the drives side going over a hard bump.. My dealer covered it and did not have to deal with insurance...

Yeah,  I take highways to work every day. One day before going on vacation I heard something hit the windshield, but didn't see any cracks.

When I got back from vacation about 10 days later, the windshield was cracked along my line of sight. The car was sitting in my garage this whole time.

i can now see the initial impact was bottom left corner of windshield.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am having my first real issue with my MKZ and I am not happy.

 

My windshield has a crack that goes along my line of sight

I scheduled service and got approval from my insurance to replace the windshield.

 

Turns out since I have all the bells and whistles, there are no replacement windshields available for the type of windshield I need.

The windshields are made by a third party company and are apparently on back order.

 

Are there no new cars being built with these windshields? Apparently a special ordered windshield would take months.

 

This really sucks and sours on the Lincoln experience. Eight months into ownership of a 50,000 car and you can't get a windshield replaced.

 

Would appreciate any suggestions on how to handle this.

 The forum info shows your in the Houston, Texas. area,  If so give a call to Alan at - Atlas Auto Glass Express, (713) 481 3924. $485.00.

States he has the layered glass type winshield for rain sensing/lane departure features, etc.  It may be what you're looking for.

Let us know how you made out.

 

All the best,

Al

Edited by easyrider

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, I will check with them tomorrow. My understanding is that the panoramic roof also plays a part in the type of windshield needed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had issues on my 17 that I just picked up. Also have all the sensor option, but just regulat sunroof. Dealer ordered and it took nearly three weeks before I received notice that it arrived. I agree that this damages the experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve been meaning to update the status of this issue. I am happy to report that today my car was delivered to my house with a new windshield.

 

I took my car in almost two weeks ago for a few issues. One issue was that the sunglass case would not stay up. That was super annoying as I had to try repeatedly for it to eventually lock into place. The sunglass case and lock mechanism seems cheap and flimsy to me. I think Lincoln should really redesign this going forward. The dealership did order a replacement console and I assume it is working. I’m actually on a business trip right now, so will not check on it until next week.

 

Regarding the windshield, the initial response from car dealer was inappropriate in my view. Basically it was “There are no windshields anywhere and it could be months before One is available.” I escalated the issue to a supervisor and since then I am very happy with the response from both the dealer and Lincoln.

 

Basically, Lincoln committed to shipping a windshield to the dealership and the dealership had me in a loaner car from the day I dropped off the car. Additionally, I have the prepaid service agreement for the car. Lincoln has extended the service agreement by another 50,000 miles. At least that is what the dealer tech told me. While I may not keep the car for 150,000 miles, I think that was a very nice gesture by Lincoln.

 

So I must say that things were handled very nicely after a bumpy start. Thanks to all who helped with the issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This topic got me thinking.  Is a cracked windshield covered under the 4/50 warranty?  Or does insurance take care of it?  And does a Lincoln extended warranty cover it?  I need to get the extended soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Chris109 said:

This topic got me thinking.  Is a cracked windshield covered under the 4/50 warranty?  Or does insurance take care of it?  And does a Lincoln extended warranty cover it?  I need to get the extended soon.

 

Hi Chris. As Robert Iggy stated, windshield breakage due to "stress cracks" is covered for 12 months/12,000 miles. Breakage due to rocks, stone ships, scratches, other contact damage etc, is not covered. There is no further coverage under a Lincoln ESP Plan/extended warranty.

 

So for anything other than stress cracks for the first 1 year/12,000 miles, your windshield is covered under the Comprehensive portion of your auto insurance. On a related note, I always recommend having a Comprehensive deductible of $100 or less. The savings obtained by a higher deductible are not really worth it, in my opinion.

 

Good luck.

Edited by bbf2530

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With State Farm the windshield is covered 100%, one call and they come to your house.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MKZMark said:

With State Farm the windshield is covered 100%, one call and they come to your house.

 Hi MKZ. That is not the case for windshield replacements for most policy holders in most States. Windshield replacement is only covered at 100% if the insured has a $0 Deductible Windshield Replacement Rider (or equivalent) on their policy. Most people do not have that.

 

Windshield repairs can sometimes be covered at 100%, but that is on a company by company, policy by policy and case by case basis.

 

Good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, bbf2530 said:

 Hi MKZ. That is not the case for windshield replacements for most policy holders in most States. Windshield replacement is only covered at 100% if the insured has a $0 Deductible Windshield Replacement Rider (or equivalent) on their policy. Most people do not have that.

 

Windshield repairs can sometimes be covered at 100%, but that is on a company by company, policy by policy and case by case basis.

 

Good luck.

I have State Farm with $500 deductible comprehensive and $0 deductible on window glass.  I don't remember if I had to pay extra for that benefit or if it's a company-wide policy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, drolds1 said:

I have State Farm with $500 deductible comprehensive and $0 deductible on window glass.  I don't remember if I had to pay extra for that benefit or if it's a company-wide policy.

 

Hi Art. Okay, I'll try to explain in a somewhat coherent manner. Yes, New York State requires insurance companies to offer a $0 Deductible Comprehensive Rider for windshield breakage/replacement. However, it is an optional coverage. Each insurance company can handle it as they see fit, as long as they offer a $0 Comprehensive Windshield Glass Rider. So those in NY without that $0 Comprehensive Rider on their policy may not have a $0 deductible. It is not an automatic coverage.

 

That being said, State Farm may include it automatically (charging for it or not charging for it), or it may be optional (I will check when I have time). However, that would be the particular company policy of State Farm, not other insurance companies.

 

Hope that makes sense.

Edited by bbf2530

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having both lived in NY and FL, I can tell you that glass coverage is different between the two states. As mentioned above, in NY, $0 deducible on full glass coverage is an optional coverage and I always carried that. Upon moving to FL I was informed that option was not available but included as a $0 deducible with Collision coverage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't remember signing up for glass coverage, we usually don't add on extras like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MKZMark said:

I don't remember signing up for glass coverage, we usually don't add on extras like that.

 

HI MKZ. I posted the information so that others do not get confused and think they have a $0 deductible for a broken windshield replacement. I can not vouch for what coverage you have with your company, if the coverage is/was automatic, mandatory or voluntary, or why you have them in your particular State. Don't even know what State you are located in.

 

Coverage availability will vary by State and Insurance Company, so the best thing for each of us to do is check with our own company as to what our policy coverage is (as R2D2 also stated).  That is the information I am trying to provide.

 

Hope that makes my post clearer. Good luck. 🙂

Edited by bbf2530

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, bbf2530 said:

 

Hi Art. Okay, I'll try to explain in a somewhat coherent manner. Yes, New York State requires insurance companies to offer a $0 Deductible Comprehensive Rider for windshield breakage/replacement. However, it is an optional coverage. Each insurance company can handle it as they see fit, as long as they offer a $0 Comprehensive Windshield Glass Rider. So those in NY without that $0 Comprehensive Rider on their policy may not have a $0 deductible. It is not an automatic coverage.

 

That being said, State Farm may include it automatically (charging for it or not charging for it), or it may be optional (I will check when I have time). However, that would be the particular company policy of State Farm, not other insurance companies.

 

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks, bbf.   The policy on my MKZ is a descendant of the original policy written on my 1972 Olds Cutlass and has transferred to many cars since then.  So, you can understand that the details might be a little fuzzy for me.😜   I seem to remember, perhaps, that it was optional at such a nominal cost that it wasn't worth not taking it but don't hold me to that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/5/2019 at 2:50 PM, bbf2530 said:

 

HI MKZ. I posted the information so that others do not get confused and think they have a $0 deductible for a broken windshield replacement. I can not vouch for what coverage you have with your company, if the coverage is/was automatic, mandatory or voluntary, or why you have them in your particular State. Don't even know what State you are located in.

 

Coverage availability will vary by State and Insurance Company, so the best thing for each of us to do is check with our own company as to what our policy coverage is (as R2D2 also stated).  That is the information I am trying to provide.

 

Hope that makes my post clearer. Good luck. 🙂

 

My location is just to the left. 😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×