2014 MKZh SYNC SD Card A4 vs A8 diff.

jm98

MY 2014 MKZ hybrid has A4 SYNC card.  I am thinking of upgrading to A8 from eBay.  Any major/minor differences between two releases?  I assume A8 only has updated map data and no additional features. 

I have not gotten the A8, but over the years I have upgraded from A4 to A5 to A6 to A7 from Ebay on various cars.  Maps and Points of Interest are updated on the SD card.   In my experience, there were no additional features available by upgrading the SD card.  I am assuming that additional features would only be available if they chose to implement them in a Sync update.  

Be advised that while the A# updates are newer data, they are typically not as up-to-date as Google Maps, Apple Maps, Waze or other standalone GPS's that can have daily/weekly/monthly autoupdates.  I live in an area that is growing rapidly and new streets, highway exits, businesses, etc  - are way behind in the Sync A# card.   I have been watching the name of a local mall that changed 3-4 years ago which is still not updated in the Sync A# SD cards or even in my 2017 Sync 3 which does away with the A# SD card for (presumably) an online update at some point. Whatever the technology, it's all about the data!  

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I had a2015 MKZ Hybrid with an A8 map in it. I changed it to an A7 and found no difference between them. I would not put a lot of trust in any of them. Google has my house 2-1/2 blocks to the west while Ford is right on. The map software may tell you to turn on a street that does not exist.

Fleabay has the newest A8 navigation cards.  However, the ads state that they are only for MKZs 2014-2015.  Has anyone attempted the newer cards in a 2013?  It also said something about system software needing to be updated.

I used the E-Bay A-5, A-6 and A-7 in my 2013 MKZ with no problem.  Traded it in for a 2017 MKZ before the A-8 came out.  The new MKZ's don't have an SD slot any more.

I did get an E-Bay A-8 for my 2015 MKC and it works fine.  

I purchased from these guys:

autoleasesolutions (3040)

99.6% positive feedback

99.6% positive feedback

• 4 weeks later...

An update for the newest A8 'update' from fleabay.  I have checked several things on this 'update'.  Several roads that have had a new speed limit for the last year to 2 years or so, still have the old limits on them.  Found another today.  Also looked up a Family Dollar in a surrounding area.  It's been there for 4-5 years.  Doesn't show up on the 'updated' maps.

FYI.

• 2 weeks later...
I recently bought the new A9 card from the eBay seller that KenZ mentions above, and it works well. It came in a plastic SD card holder, not in the cardboard sleeve that lincoln.navigation.com shows, but I didn't need instructions and I saved $48.

I was using the A4 card that came with my 2014 MKZ, so I figured it was time for an update. On the Friday before the card arrived, I went to a restaurant I had never been to that was about 20 miles away. The restaurant didn't exist as a POI in the A4, so I had to enter the address.

When the A9 card arrived the next day, I inserted it then searched for that restaurant and it appeared as a POI, so it was nice to get some instant gratification!