Wishlist for next MKZ

After having had my 2017 Lincoln MKZ Black Label for exactly eight months today, I was thinking about some things I'd love to see in future MKZs.

1. Upgrade autonomous braking to work when driving in reverse.
  2. At least two slots for wireless phone charging charging (Qi). These can either be in the armrests or center console somewhere.
  3. Heated and cooled cupholders.
  4. The ability to respond to text messages with your voice (not just those premade responses that can be used only when the car is stopped). Currently you can only respond to text messages with voice if you're using Android Auto or Apple CarPlay. Since Sync 3 recognizes voice commands, surely it shouldn't be a hard upgrade to enable dictating text messages.
  5. Add an audible and vibration (steering wheel or seat) alert to the blindspot monitor (with an option to disable). Sometimes that little light just isn't enough. The rear cross traffic alert has an audible alert, so I wonder if a Sync 3 update could add this same sound to the blindspot alerts.
  6. Ability to use Google Maps right in the Sync 3 interface. Google updates its maps nearly everyday. I have no idea how often the Sync 3 maps are updated or how much it will cost.
  7. Add the 360 camera. Like the Continental and MKX. The backup camera is great, but pulling forwards into a parking space, I can't always judge where the curb is...sometimes the underbody hits and scrapes just a bit if the curb is high.
  8. Led glowing Lincoln star on grille. Like on the new Navigator and the grille of some Mercedes models.
  9. ​30-Way Perfect Position Seats.​ Like the Continental.
  10. Side-Impact prevention​. Like on the Tesla Model S. If it is safe to do so, the car will swerve to another lane to prevent or lessen the severity of a side collision.
  11. Solar cells built into panoramic glass roof (for hybrid models). Like on some Toyota Prius models. Every little bit of additional energy should make for better overall MPG.
  12. Make the MKZ Hybrid a plug-in. I wonder, if battery technology improves in the next few years, if this can be done without making the battery any larger. It would be great for quick, short trips to use no gas at all.

I'd like to know what other 2017 MKZ owners wish for, also. Does any of this sound realistic? Or am I asking for too much? LOL. Share your thoughts.

My wishlist is that there's an MKZ in the future at all.  This recently appeared on Autoline Daily:

The MKZ was the first model to come out when Ford launched its effort to revive the Lincoln brand in 2012. But Autoforecast Solutions reports that it will be dropped from the Lincoln lineup in late 2019 when it reaches the end of its current design cycle. The MKZ is made at Ford’s Hermosillo plant in Mexico but Ford is moving production of the Focus to that plant and there won’t be room for the MKZ. It was supposed to move to Ford’s plant in Flat Rock, Michigan. But that plant already builds the Mustang and Continental and is slated to make Ford’s electric and autonomous cars. So there wasn’t any room there either. Lincoln is now going to concentrate its resources on crossovers and SUVs since that’s where the market is moving anyway.

One poster said:

The video is misleading – MKZ will be discontinued in name only. There will be a replacement/next-generation “MKZ”, but it’s likely to get a name, and will be on a new platform, so thus, “MKZ” is to be discontinued. Flat Rock is being expanded, and MKZ is likely to be produced there. This clip made the dropping of MKZ sound more dramatic than it will be.

However, the host, John McElroy, replied that his sources said that there would be no replacement.  So, who knows?  IDK they would drop it.  Sales are decent and the profit margin is probably pretty good as the platform is shared over several lines.

We shall see.

WRT your wish list, I like it except for #5.  If the audible warning could be shut off separately from the visual warning, then OK.  One of the things I appreciate about Ford's BLIS is its silence.  I think I would go nuts pretty quickly if it sounded off every time a car was in the blind spot.  This can happen hundreds of times, even on a relatively short trip.

1. More paint colors in medium and lighter shades, similar to the blue Smoked Quartz, Sterling gray, Ice Storm.

2. Retain the 19" wheel choices from the 2014-2016 era which imho looked better than the 2017 wheels.

3. Perforated leather seats across all trim options (with the ventilated feature as an upgrade).

4. Optional "mud flaps" to protect the lower fenders from abrasion.  Would need a prestigious name for them, of course.

5. Banish piano black on interior surfaces that show fingerprints (in case some designer wanted to copy Cadillac).

Tops for me would be (not necessarily in order):

1. Heads up display
  2. 360 degree camera
  3. Improved transmission (8 or 9 speed)
  4. Better wheel selection
  5. Ventilated back seat option
  6. Better app (ability to see more info about car, ability to control more things)
  7. Wireless charging
  8. Camera Rear view Mirror like on many of cadillacs (especially useful win panoramic sunroof is open)

All this is icing though... Love the car.

My wishlist is that there's an MKZ in the future at all.  This recently appeared on Autoline Daily:

One poster said:

However, the host, John McElroy, replied that his sources said that there would be no replacement.  So, who knows?  IDK they would drop it.  Sales are decent and the profit margin is probably pretty good as the platform is shared over several lines.

We shall see.

WRT your wish list, I like it except for #5.  If the audible warning could be shut off separately from the visual warning, then OK.  One of the things I appreciate about Ford's BLIS is its silence.  I think I would go nuts pretty quickly if it sounded off every time a car was in the blind spot.  This can happen hundreds of times, even on a relatively short trip.

I think it's just the name itself.  Rumor has it that D6 replacement for the MKZ will go back to a traditional name.

As far as audible alerts for the blind spot monitor...I was thinking that it would be audible only if you signaled a lane change in the direction where a car was in your blindspot, that the car would give an audible alert. And if you actually start to steer in that direction, the car would swerve you away (if safe to do so). And of course, there should be an option to disable that. It was so hot today...I wondered if cooled steering wheels exist. :)

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...