Sign in to follow this  
Tanner Fox

Removing THX-II Rear Deck Subwoofer?

I'm at the point I'm tearing my hair out just trying to find info before I break something. The previous owner blew out the driver side THX subwoofer in the rear deck. I can take the grill off (they don't fit quite right so that's easy) and take the 4 bolts out but the speaker is still stuck as if it's fully bolted down. What in the world is the trick to taking it out? It's unplugged from the trunk and the only thing that looks possible is the plastic the screws screw into looks like you're supposed to pinch it and push it up through but it doesn't seem to work.. 2007 MKZ with THX-II.

upload a picture. on my 2010, the bolt/screws come out, and then you get a hair dryer to soften the glue holding it in. the glue keeps rattles away. when you put in a new one get some adhesive action going again.

It would probably make sense if it was glued in since I visibly can't see anything that could be holding it down, but of course I'm afraid to just try brute force haha.

http://imgur.com/a/Mm3rR

yup, looks like you could use a hair dryer and a modest amount of brute force.

Forgot I posted this here so I should update it. I got it out! There wasn't any kind of glue on it but it was stuck pretty well. Wedged a screwdriver under it and pried it off without too much fuss. New speaker still sounds great.

Thanks for the update. So you didn't have to take the whole rear deck out to take the speaker out? My driver's side subwoofer is out now and I am looking to replace them. What speaker did you replace the factory one with?

Edited by Mojo