Lincoln MKZ First Week Impressions

houtex

I have enjoyed the seats, but I have found the adjustments make all the difference. My CTS seats that I'm coming from where very comfortable and plush. These I had to spend some time adjusting to get right for me, and there are a number of adjustments that I didn't like... But now I'm good and I really enjoy the seats.

I had this problem on my front drivers side window. I think it is somewhat common with some ford vehicles. You can try resetting the window (this worked for me). With the window starting all the way up, hold the window switch to move the window down. Keep holding it for a few  seconds after it is all the way open. Then close the window by holding the window switch up and hold for a few seconds after it is all the way closed. See if that fixes it.

I lnow what you are saying. My Fusion windows had to be reset constantly. This is a differerent issue. It looks like the window is slightly misaligned. When it reaches the top it heads back down again about two thirds of the way. If I roll it down all the way you can still see a little bit of the window. It doesn't go all the way down

I have an appointment on Tuesday. Get to try out the pickup and loaner program:)

I lnow what you are saying. My Fusion windows had to be reset constantly. This is a differerent issue. It looks like the window is slightly misaligned. When it reaches the top it heads back down again about two thirds of the way. If I roll it down all the way you can still see a little bit of the window. It doesn't go all the way down

I have an appointment on Tuesday. Get to try out the pickup and loaner program:)

Hope you get it fixed. Mine went up to the top and came back down using the auto setting and yours sounded similar so I was hoping this would work for you as it did for me. Good luck.

I took delivery of my 2017 this past Monday.  I'll get a picture up when I get a chance.  It's been a busy week.  I'm absolutely loving this one.  Power and handling aside, they've made so many little detail improvements compared to my 2014 and Sync 3 blows Sync 2 out of the water.

We went to my daughter's in NJ on Tuesday so it got an immediate trial.  Round trip of 200+ miles plus.  With no mileage on it and 100hp more than my 2014 with the 3.7, it already returned better MPG than the latter ever did on the same trip.  At one point, I saw an indicated 29mpg at 75mph cruise.  The power is addicting, though, so that won't last.

Unfortunately, it did develop a problem before I even got home from the dealer.  We stopped on the way home to pick up a few things and when I got back in and started it up, there was no sound with Sirius.  AM and FM were OK.  When I got home I called them and they said to bring it back in on Tues. but I couldn't do that.  When I went outside to program Home Link, Sirius was back.  I figured that was the end of that.  Nope.  Since then, it will randomly play at start-up or not.  I called Sirius and they had me go through a whole process where I had to get out of the car and stand 35 feet away with the IA key and Bluetooth off while they rebooted the radio and sent a "stronger signal."  It was working but it stopped the next day.  :rant2: They said that if this didn't fix it, it was most likely a hardware problem and to take it back to the dealer.  I might do that Monday.  We'll be out of town again on Tuesday for a week.  More to follow.

I took delivery of my 2017 this past Monday.  I'll get a picture up when I get a chance.  It's been a busy week.  I'm absolutely loving this one.  Power and handling aside, they've made so many little detail improvements compared to my 2014 and Sync 3 blows Sync 2 out of the water.

We went to my daughter's in NJ on Tuesday so it got an immediate trial.  Round trip of 200+ miles plus.  With no mileage on it and 100hp more than my 2014 with the 3.7, it already returned better MPG than the latter ever did on the same trip.  At one point, I saw an indicated 29mpg at 75mph cruise.  The power is addicting, though, so that won't last.

Unfortunately, it did develop a problem before I even got home from the dealer.  We stopped on the way home to pick up a few things and when I got back in and started it up, there was no sound with Sirius.  AM and FM were OK.  When I got home I called them and they said to bring it back in on Tues. but I couldn't do that.  When I went outside to program Home Link, Sirius was back.  I figured that was the end of that.  Nope.  Since then, it will randomly play at start-up or not.  I called Sirius and they had me go through a whole process where I had to get out of the car and stand 35 feet away with the IA key and Bluetooth off while they rebooted the radio and sent a "stronger signal."  It was working but it stopped the next day.  :rant2: They said that if this didn't fix it, it was most likely a hardware problem and to take it back to the dealer.  I might do that Monday.  We'll be out of town again on Tuesday for a week.  More to follow.

You are making me jealous, I may just have to make a trip to the dealer

Great luck with the new one....

btw where are you on LI? We are formally from North Bellmore before relocating to FL

Edited by R2D2

OOOOOOOOO -- nice ... mine is close but not quite here. Should be within a week or so. Can't wait.

Strange about the Sirius. The dealer should have a quick fix tho a trip back so soon would be a little vexing.

Enjoy that beauty, she sounds like one fine ride.

C.

OOOOOOOOO -- nice ... mine is close but not quite here. Should be within a week or so. Can't wait.

Strange about the Sirius. The dealer should have a quick fix tho a trip back so soon would be a little vexing.

Enjoy that beauty, she sounds like one fine ride.

C.

Thanks, Colin. You betcha, it's vexing.  It didn't even have 10 miles on it.  This beats the time when my daughter's brand new Mazda 3 threw a CEL at 50 miles. Oh, well.  It could be a something a lot worse.  First world problem, right?

IDK how fast they're going to figure this out.  I hate intermittent problems.  I'd prefer that it just stay silent.  I'll have to wait until it's not working before I make a trip to the dealer and make sure they don't shut it off.

Thanks, Colin. You betcha, it's vexing.  It didn't even have 10 miles on it.  This beats the time when my daughter's brand new Mazda 3 threw a CEL at 50 miles. Oh, well.  It could be a something a lot worse.  First world problem, right?

In 1999 I bought a brand new Chrysler 300M (at Bridge Chrysler in Hempstead) 6 miles from home. About 3 blocks from my house, a LOUD screeching started under the hood. I just made it to my driveway and the engine stopped. It was the serpentine drive belt. I called the dealer and they sent a flat-bed (with a Neon loaner) and brought my car to the service dept. where it was fixed the next day. My neighbors got a kick out of seeing my half-hour old car being towed away!

Congrats drolds1. The car is pretty sweet. Lots of toys to play with. Sorry about the Sirius issues. I'm sure they'll figure it out. My Window is now rolling up and down without issue, which is a little concerning as I probably can't have it servicd now. It seemed like it was out of alignment and now all of a sudden it goes all the way down and up. Hope it does not end up being a problematic window.

Congrats drolds1. The car is pretty sweet. Lots of toys to play with. Sorry about the Sirius issues. I'm sure they'll figure it out. My Window is now rolling up and down without issue, which is a little concerning as I probably can't have it servicd now. It seemed like it was out of alignment and now all of a sudden it goes all the way down and up. Hope it does not end up being a problematic window.

Thanks.

Let's hope that's the end of your window problem.

IDK if it's what you mean, but there is a fuel economy graph in the left toggle screen.  It's right below the trip ODOs. If you scroll down to FUEL ECONOMY and then right, there's a moving bar graph for instantaneous mpg as well as a running average.

In regards to the graph, I meant it is actually sharing less information than my 2014 Ford Fusion version does. There was actually a duration graph you could change under fuel economy.

Just seemed weird to lack features an older vehicle has. I still wish they gave us a Turbo Boost gauge like the Continental got.

Oh well, still beats the Fusion's digital joke of a tachometer at least. I grew to hate that thing.

In regards to the graph, I meant it is actually sharing less information than my 2014 Ford Fusion version does. There was actually a duration graph you could change under fuel economy.

Just seemed weird to lack features an older vehicle has. I still wish they gave us a Turbo Boost gauge like the Continental got.

Oh well, still beats the Fusion's digital joke of a tachometer at least. I grew to hate that thing.

I know the Fusion has had that feature,  The MKZ never did.  Go figure. 

I know what you're saying.  I had a rented Fusion Titanium last year and I hated that tachometer.  Overall, I really disliked the Fusion's IP in comparison to the MKZ's,  the above feature aside.

BTW, When I got my 2014 MKZ, that bar graph didn't move at all.  They had to reprogram the cluster.

• 1 month later...

Today when I left my office and got to the parking garage, I realized I did not have my car keys with me. Not the first time it happens, but the first time it happens since I own my MKZ. I was excited that I would be able to start the car using the Lincoln Way app, and I thought I'd be able to drive home and not have to walk back to my building to get the keys.

I did not realize that while you can start the car with the app, you still need to have the key fob with you to drive it. What a disappointment that was :) What is the point of the app? All show. That feature is Pretty useless in my view without the ability to actually drive the car.

There would be some serious security issues if the car could driven without a key fob present.

Indeed.  And what happens if you arrive at your destination without the fob and the app doesn't work for the return trip, for whatever the reason?  I certainly don't have the kind of confidence to go anywhere without the fob.

Another advantage:  My son lives in AZ.  He can start his MKC before he leaves work if it's parked out of range of the fob and the car will be cool when he leaves.

but aren't there serious security issues anyway? -- All someone needs do is break into the car and drive off .........or am I missing something?

Not to mention someone hacking one's cell app to steal the car.

Until I can answer all these questions I'm going to dump the app.

It's a great gadget and altho I can see the need for locking the car remotely, I don't see the need for that kind of remote starting just for the convenience of heating or cooling the car.

any thoughts on that?

Edited by colinsz

The vehicle will not travel when started remotely without the fob. There is a way to drive the vehicle without the fob, but I'm not giving that info out on public forum. Most people figure it out by accident.

If you have a concern with the remote start feature, you can disable it via the drivers menu. 

but aren't there serious security issues anyway? -- All someone needs do is break into the car and drive off .........or am I missing something?

Yes.  You can't put the car in gear or steer it if the fob isn't in proximity.  Not to mention that the engine will shut off if the car isn't unlocked with the fob and the door is opened.

The app lets you schedule a start at a pre-scheduled time.  There are people that find this useful, my son included, as I mentioned above.

I tried it out just to see how it works but found that it was depleting the battery in my phone at an accelerated rate if I stayed signed in.  So I logged off.  Apparently, it stays in contact with the car 24/7 if you're logged in

2017 MKZ/Fusion/Continental – Window Bounce Back And/Or Loss Of Window One-Touch Up Functionality

Some 2017 MKZ, Fusion, and Continental vehicles may exhibit window bounce back when using the one-touch feature and/or a loss of window one-touch up functionality.

Perform the Integrated Diagnostic System (IDS) power door window initialization procedure.

The learn procedure is available on IDS software version 104.02 or later. Access to this IDS learn procedure is available under Toolbox / Body /Power Window Initialization.

No additional repairs should be attempted if this does not resolve the concern.

Engineering is aware and is currently investigating. Monitor OASIS for future updates.

My car started doing this the other day.  When you close the front passenger window using 1-touch, it bounces back and rolls down after it hits the top, stopping part of the way down. The only way to close it is to hold the button up until it closes completely and keep it in the up position for a second a two.

This is only occurring with the front passenger window and it doesn't appear that they have a permanent fix for it yet.  Someone on the Ford Fusion Forum had it done and the "fix" lasted two days.  I don't know if I'll bother getting it serviced until they come up with a permanent repair.  They were never able to permanently fix the ambient lighting problem in my 2014. They reprogrammed it three times and I just gave up.

Update on the Sirius issue.  It took two service visits and two weeks.  They said it was a faulty DSP and told me it was fixed.  When I got in the car it wasn't working.  They were incredulous.  I just took the loaner back.  Then they called and said it was the now determined to be the ACM but it was on backorder and they didn't know when it would come in.  I spoke to the Service Mgr. and asked him if they could take one out of a car in inventory.  Then they could worry about when it would come in instead of me having no Sirius for an indefinite period.  He said he would look into it.  The next day they called and said that the ACM was in.  They replaced it and all is well since then.

BTW, the Service Mgr. told me that they were having a run of Sirius issues lately, not only with Fords and Lincolns but with Subarus (their other franchise) as well.  Odd.

Yes.  You can't put the car in gear or steer it if the fob isn't in proximity.  Not to mention that the engine will shut off if the car isn't unlocked with the fob and the door is opened.

The app lets you schedule a start at a pre-scheduled time.  There are people that find this useful, my son included, as I mentioned above.

I tried it out just to see how it works but found that it was depleting the battery in my phone at an accelerated rate if I stayed signed in.  So I logged off.  Apparently, it stays in contact with the car 24/7 if you're logged in

Thank you. That makes somewhat more sense now. 

Yes I can see that the feature would be useful to some.

I'm still not 100% convinced tho, due to what our club members Joe Brown and Pjrocco shared above.

Perhaps 99% is good enough. I hope so.

Tnx for the input.

I should add, to somewhat keep things on track,  that other than that issue I'm very happy with the car which is nothing like I've owned b4. It really is a treat to drive.

Edited by colinsz

Exactly... the app is to allow you to start the car to warm up or cool down from the comfort of your office, restaurant etc. or if you are unsure you locked the doors you can lock them from the same remote area. The fob being present to drive makes sure that someone don't hack your phone etc through wifi then go on a nice little joy ride in your car ...