Sign in to follow this  
Tlove1

Misfiring

I have a 06 Lincoln Zephyr it has 192k on it I bought it for 700$. It was was m is firing when I first bought it. I found out that cylinder 4 and 5 wire that connects to coil pack was bad. The wires were fried. So I replaced the two wires and also sent my PCM out to be fixed cause it was fried. Along with that I also replaced the EGR valve (it was leaking) all the spark plugs and also all the coil packs and also the air filter. Car runs better but it still is mis firing and also I am getting a check engine light of a p0430. I believe that's something to do with the cats.. My question is should i dish out the money to replace bank 2 cats? I don't want to pay the 400$ for a new cat. And it not fix the misfire. Any help thanks

Edited by Tlove1

The most likely scenario is that driving the car with a misfire took out the cat(s).  The misfire causes unburnt, raw fuel to go downstream into the cat where the high heat lights it off.  Explosion and fire in a CC-not good.

See the video.

The most likely scenario is that driving the car with a misfire took out the cat(s).  The misfire causes unburnt, raw fuel to go downstream into the cat where the high heat lights it off.  Explosion and fire in a CC-not good.

See the video.

Ok will it still be m is firing though if I fixed the original problem.. ALSO can I still drive it. The cat is 400$ and I really don't have that until 3 weeks

As I stated above, it's very likely that the misfire condition ruined the cat. It probably caused the EGR to leak as well. No, you shouldn't drive it with a misfire.  See this.