Installing Sync 3 in a 2013 MKZ

tuminatr

Ok I do have the Sync 3 system installed and it works except for my parking assist. Here are a few pictures from the install. I bought the programmed sync module from OEM Radio solutions and it works as it should. Now there are some caveats this is sync 3 V1 and does not support car play or android auto and my auto parallel parking does not work anymore. If you want contact info for the place I got the sync module from pm me or here is his Facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/OEM-Radio-Solutions-304277299911777

old sync 2 module and screen

New sync 3 module and screen

Sync 3 in a 2013 MKZ

Edited by tuminatr

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I was going to ask if this could be done after having 2017 MKZ as a loaner while 2014 was getting recall work done. Will there be step by step instructions at any point? Actually, I'm not concerned about parking assist as I can't get it to work right in my 2014 and I know how to park.

• 2 weeks later...

Sourced the parts myself. Guy name Dan will be doing the programming. He have successfully did the programming for several people remotely. I have everything I need except for the new usb hub, which should be delivered Wednesday or Thursday. So I should be installing this friday. I'll let you all know how it goes.

eBay, car-parts or somewhere else? I have some automated searches set up for eBay and when I'm ready I may start calling around to some yards from car-part to see what they'll do on prices.

Dan seems like the expert on the Fusion forum, I see that he'll remote into your laptop and program with Forscan. Keep an eye on what he does and report back if you can ;).

I found the screen and apim on car-part.com. As far as programming, I gave dan my VIN and he put together a sync 3 as-built file for me according to my vin. I will do the programming myself with forscan. I'm so ready to install everything. Still waiting to get my car back from the dealership. They had to repair some things under warranty. They assured me that I'll have it back next week though.

Hey guys, hopefully you all can help me out. I bought a 2014 mkz and not realizing after test driving 4 of them that the one i chosen didn't have a back up cam. So i went to this local place that installs back up cameras, radios, etc. He said that my car would need an interface installed into the current radio to make it happen one that is $300 that will allow the camera to work and another that is $500 that will allow me to add up to 4 cameras, built in navigation, allow me to use apps on my phone etc. Was trying to find the interface myself but having no luck. has anyone else run into this problem. I think the interface allows me to run sync 3

I have a 2013 MkZ w/ THx radio. Front speaker has an irritating "buzz" when listening to spoken words. How hard is it to replace the front speaker? Any videos on this task? Thanks.

Philp, are you referring to the speaker in the center of the dash? If so, the cover for that speaker comes off easy. It's held in by 4 or 5 clips. You basically can use a flathead screw driver or something similar to lift up on one edge to get it started, then use your hand to unsnap the others.

According to the manual, the Front Controls Interface Module (FCIM) must be removed before the center speaker can be removed. 

Instrument Panel Center Speaker

Removal

NOTE: Removal steps in this procedure may contain installation details.

1. WARNING: Before beginning any service procedure, refer to Safety Warnings in General Information. Failure to follow this instruction may result in serious personal injury. See: Testing and Inspection\Initial Inspection and Diagnostic Overview

Refer to: Health and Safety Precautions See: Service Precautions\Health and Safety Precautions (General Information). See: Testing and Inspection\Initial Inspection and Diagnostic Overview

1. Remove the FCIM (front controls interface module). Refer to: Front Controls Interface Module (FCIM) See: Entertainment System Control Module\Service and Repair\Removal and Replacement\Vehicles With - THX Audio System\Front Controls Interface Module (FCIM) (Information

This is a 6-step process that involves partial disassembly of the console.  If you're certain the buzzing is due to a bad speaker and still want to do this, let me know and I'll post the procedure.

Wow. When I did my sync 3 upgrade, I had to pop the clips and  remove the cover from the center speaker. I never looked inside of it once I removed it but now that i'm looking, there's a good bit of work involved. It still isn't a bad job if you follow the instructions that drolds1 posted. It took me about an hour to remove the FCIM and i'm nowhere near a mechanical type guy

Edited by caddydaddy25