Sign in to follow this  
geneticMKZ

2010 MKZ tail light functions...

Hey all,

Are the LED lights on the trunk supposed to be brake lights also? Or is that just parking lights? The only thing that lights up is a center row in the trunk mounted rear lights. All I have for brake lights are the small side lights and the 3rd brake light.

The lid mounted assemblies are "parking/running lights" with the reverse marker at the bottom.

This leads me to a question I have about the tail lights on my '10. In the pic below, you can see that the center strip of LEDs are lit along the width of the car, but the passenger's side tail lamp has all three rows lit. Should they all be lit like that when just the head lights are on or should it be just the center strip like the rest of the lamps?

Edit- it appears that only the center row should be lit. When the brakes come on all three rows light up- the right lamp gets brighter. Found a post way back from 2015 where an owner was having the same thing happen. I'm guessing since I'm not the original owner the 10 year warranty on the taillight assemblies wouldn't apply. 

IMG_7615.thumb.JPG.81b34127da1f1e47e5a947cfbe878385.JPG

Edited by Sterling10

Hi Chuck. I don't know the answer to your taillight illumination question.  However, Warranties normally apply to the original owner and subsequent owners, up to the time/mileage limitations of the warranty, unless the warranty terms specifically state they only apply to the original owner. Check with your Dealership's Service Department. If you are told it only applies to the original owner, politely ask for a copy of the warranty and warranty terms and where it states so.

Keep us updated and good luck.

Edited by bbf2530

The taillight extended warranty is for 10 years/150K miles and subsequent owners are covered.

https://ford.oemdtc.com/896/14m03-tail-lamp-assembly-extended-coverage-2010-2011-mercury-milan-lincoln-mkz

That'll save me some trouble. I noticed this morning (it was raining) that the left side lamp was flickering- the middle row would stay illuminated and the upper and lower rows were picking and choosing to light up. I should be OK- the car is still within the parameters of the extended warranty. 

Made the appointment today at the local dealer- Jim Navarre Ford-Lincoln in Alma, MI. Dave told me it would be a week and a half or two weeks to get the taillights in and about an hour install, so I'm slated to take her in on the 25th. This morning the left one was flickering again, and just ten minutes ago upon returning home the left side had only the center row lit, but this time, the right lamp was flickering. It's almost like they know. 🙂

Problem is taken care of. 🙂 The service manager at Navarre made sure to double check because I guess that Ford has rolled back the time/mileage guidelines on some of the extended component warranties, but the taillight replacement warranty is still 10 years/150k. 

1319805457_lincolninv.jpg.c8b394ed86118d90b19cb1723b573e91.jpg

Never knew about the Lincoln complimentary wash. So of course I said "Yes please". 🙂  And that next appointment (if you can't read my writing) is for the MKZ's first oil change under my ownership.  

Edited by Smokestone10

Minor update- the driver's side turn signal (separate from the tail lamps) went out a few days ago... and a new bulb did not solve the issue. Going back in Monday to see what's what with that. 

Forgot to update THAT post... when the bulb went out, some computer board tucked into a deep, dark corner of the car cut the power to that socket. The dealer just had to go in and reset something and all is well. 🙂