Sign in to follow this  
drolds1

Rear Door Locks

My two year-old grandson opened the rear door the other day while my wife was driving.  I didn't have the childproof locks engaged because I didn't think that he could reach the handle yet and thought that when the doors were locked that they couldn't be opened from the inside anyway.  I was wrong on both accounts.  After consulting the owner's manual, I found, to my surprise that  pulling the handle twice will open the door.  The first pull unlocks the door and the second pull will open the door.  To wit:

Rear Door Unlocking and Opening
Pull the interior door release handle twice to unlock and open the rear door. The first pull unlocks the door and the second pull will unlatch the door.

Whoa!  Obviously, he can't fall out since he's securely strapped into the child seat.  Fortunately, there were no other cars nearby when the door opened.

Needless to say, the childproof lock is now engaged. :doh:

My two year-old grandson opened the rear door the other day while my wife was driving.  I didn't have the childproof locks engaged because I didn't think that he could reach the handle yet and thought that when the doors were locked that they couldn't be opened from the inside anyway.  I was wrong on both accounts.  After consulting the owner's manual, I found, to my surprise that  pulling the handle twice will open the door.  The first pull unlocks the door and the second pull will open the door.  To wit:

Whoa!  Obviously, he can't fall out since he's securely strapped into the child seat.  Fortunately, there were no other cars nearby when the door opened.

Needless to say, the childproof lock is now engaged. :doh:

Glad to hear that there was not an unhappy ending to this story, good work grandpa. :)

Edited by R2D2

I don't have the childproof locks engaged at this time. Perhaps I need to look at this again.

Thanks for the "heads up".

After reading your post, it got me to thinking (which can sometimes be dangerous). If you have a child in the back and have the childproof locks engaged, that is a good thing. However, if you have them engaged when adults are in the back, it could lead to unintended consequences. If, God forbid, you were to have an accident where the driver is incapacitated, the rear seat passengers could then be trapped in the car. It may be a pita to engage/disengage the child proof locks as needed, but it is something to think about.

It would be more convenient if the locks could be engaged based on passenger weight, wherein if a passenger weighing more than, say, 85lbs would disengage the locks, or at least be able to do so from the driver's seat.

After reading your post, it got me to thinking (which can sometimes be dangerous). If you have a child in the back and have the childproof locks engaged, that is a good thing. However, if you have them engaged when adults are in the back, it could lead to unintended consequences. If, God forbid, you were to have an accident where the driver is incapacitated, the rear seat passengers could then be trapped in the car. It may be a pita to engage/disengage the child proof locks as needed, but it is something to think about.

It would be more convenient if the locks could be engaged based on passenger weight, wherein if a passenger weighing more than, say, 85lbs would disengage the locks, or at least be able to do so from the driver's seat.

Right after the above incident,  I thought Ford made a mistake in having the locks operate that way.  The more I thought about it, I realized that the absence of a manual lock/unlock device raises the possibility of people being trapped in the rear of the car under certain circumstances and it's actually a safety device. You just have to know how they work, though.  And yes, having the childproof locks engaged could lead to unintended consequences.