Sport Tuned Suspension Question

Does anyone know either of the following:

• Did I read correctly that if you ordered the 19" summer handling package it included additional "suspension tweaks"?
  • Anyone know what these tweaks were and if they can be replicated with a non summer package?

Yes.  The Summer Tire Handling package includes unique tuning to the suspension as well as the EPAS.  AWD is a requirement.  An MKZ with this setup outhandled a BMW M5 on a slalom course and came close to a Porsche 911.

From Lincoln's website:

The Summer Tire Handling Package features:

•19” Performance summer-only P245/40R19 tires
•19” Polished Aluminum Wheels with Painted Pockets
•Unique sport tuning on Continuously Controlled Damping (CCD) suspension and Electric Power Assisted Steering (EPAS)

*Available with AWD only

I don't know what the specific tweaks are; if they're mechanical, electronic or both.  I might be able to find out as we have a Ford suspension engineer as a member of another forum I belong to.  I'll see.

IMO, you could probably replicate a good portion of the package by switching to summer tires.  I find that this chassis has really good dynamics baked in but I find that the OE Michelin tires are a hindrance to sporty handling.  I would have ordered the handling package if you had the option for all-season tires.  We get snow here in the NE and I wasn't going to invest in a set of winter tires and wheels for a leased car.  Summer tires are useless once the temps drop below 40ºF, not to mention in snow.  The rubber gets very hard in cold temps.    My son has a Mazda3 speed with summer tires.  He didn't take my advice (surprise, huh?) about winter tires. He had to find this out the hard way.

I ordered my 2010 and 2012 MKZs with the Sport package and it transformed the car.

Yeah I've been through tirerack. It seems like half the reviews are from Nissan Maxima or infinity owners, much of which are either lacking a write up all together...or say something like "they handle real good" (ok maybe not that bad).

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion I will check those out.

Here's the answer on the handling package:

According to my sources, the MKZ handling package is all software, the steering and damper tuning software is set up a little differently, but there are no hardware differences other than the tires.

Do you know of anyway to get said software changes?

You don't get that software either you have it or you don't. With your 2013 3.6L you have what's available.

The settings for how the car handles is available in Drive Control. Your choices are Comfort, Normal or Sport. How to access this is in the manual.

Yes I understand how the drive modes work and I don't believe this a case of having the software or not having it.  All of the cars have software for the suspension tuning (thus allowing you to switch between the different driving modes).  I have been involved with the tuning of my 2000 mustang GT, 06 wrx STi, and 06 Legacy GT (so I understand hardware vs. software, car computer flashing/tuning, open source software, etc).  I guess what I am trying to figure out is if this is something that can be flashed to the computer (likely just a different "tune" for sport mode vs. a car without the handling package) since it would have been standard on cars with the handling package or if they gave cars with the handling package a different control module for the suspension tuning (seems unlikely).

Edited by BlackPano

Do you know of anyway to get said software changes?

No.  No discussion of that.  It might be as simple as a "different tune" but I'm sure they're not going to make that available to dealers or the aftermarket.  IMO, it's kind of like converting a non-nav car to navigation.  They (Ford) hold the key but it won't be released to dealers.

Some enterprising outfit might be able to crack it but there's no market for it.  I'd love to know what the take rate is for the package anyway.  I'll bet it's miniscule.

I still think you could get a good portion of the effect with upgraded tires.  Just my .02.

Edited by drolds1

No.  No discussion of that.  It might be as simple as a "different tune" but I'm sure they're not going to make that available to dealers or the aftermarket.  IMO, it's kind of like converting a non-nav car to navigation.  They (Ford) hold the key but it won't be released to dealers.

Some enterprising outfit might be able to crack it but there's no market for it.  I'd love to know what the take rate is for the package anyway.  I'll bet it's miniscule.

I still think you could get a good portion of the effect with upgraded tires.  Just my .02.

I agree, it is probably just like the Nav scenario.

Edited by BlackPano

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here's a fun scavenger hunt: Can anyone find the VIN of an MKZ with the sport-tuned suspension? With the VIN, you can generate the car's as-built data, which may have the suspension programming in it. With Forscan, that info could be theoretically programmed into any MKZ's body module.

From the MKZ brochure, an MKZ with the sport-tuned suspension will have:

Summer Tire Handling Package: 19" polished aluminum wheels with Dark Tarnish-painted
pockets, summer compound tires,2 and unique sport-tuned Lincoln Drive Control (AWD only;
n/a with MKZ Hybrid)

A while back I went through every MKZ for sale that had AWD and the dark wheels and used the VIN to do a window sticker search and see if the summer handling package was listed. At the time, I didn't find anything, but there's got to be one out there somewhere, right?
Edited by Laminar

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
On 6/16/2017 at 2:26 PM, Laminar said:

Here's a fun scavenger hunt: Can anyone find the VIN of an MKZ with the sport-tuned suspension? With the VIN, you can generate the car's as-built data, which may have the suspension programming in it. With Forscan, that info could be theoretically programmed into any MKZ's body module.

Hi people.  New here.  I realize this is an older discussion, however, perhaps I can get some enlightenment anyway.  The MKZ I just bought has the Sport Appearance package, (2012) which appears to be the same as the Summer Handling Package.  My question is - how does a person go about generating a car's "as built" data with the VIN?  Is this something only available to dealers?  Thanks.

Edited by drolds1
To correct quotation

7 hours ago, Viking said:

Hi people.  New here.  I realize this is an older discussion, however, perhaps I can get some enlightenment anyway.  The MKZ I just bought has the Sport Appearance package, (2012) which appears to be the same as the Summer Handling Package.  My question is - how does a person go about generating a car's "as built" data with the VIN?  Is this something only available to dealers?  Thanks.

No, it is not.  There was no summer tire option in 2012.  That wasn't available until the 2nd-gen cars beginning with MY 2013.  All 2012s had A/S tires.  I had a 2010 and a 2012 with the Sport package, which consisted of:

SPORT APPEARANCE PACKAGE4 -18" 10-spoke polished aluminum wheels -P225/45R18 V-rated performance tires -Body-color door handles -Bridge of Weir™ Dark Charcoal leather-trimmed seats with Cashmere-colored tuxedo seam and piping -Darkened headlamp treatment -Interior Aluminum Trim Package -Sport-tuned suspension -Unique chrome grille with Dark Shadow Gray accented bars -Unique front floor mats with Lincoln MKZ badge

The Summer Tire Handling Package on the 2013+ is a different animal.

WRT as-built data, someone else here that has access to Ford ETIS may jump in.  That's entirely up to him. 

7 hours ago, Viking said:

1 minute ago, drolds1 said:

No, it is not.  There was no summer tire option in 2012.  That wasn't available until the 2nd-gen cars beginning with MY 2013.  All 2012s had A/S tires.  I had a 2010 and a 2012 with the Sport package, which consisted of:

The Summer Tire Handling Package on the 2013+ is a different animal.

WRT as-built data, someone else here that has access to Ford ETIS may jump in.  That's entirely up to him. 

Hi Viking. If you don't mind posting your VIN, I should be able to retrieve your as-built data.

Good luck.

2 hours ago, bbf2530 said:

Hi Viking. If you don't mind posting your VIN, I should be able to retrieve your as-built data.

Good luck.

I private messaged you the VIN, bbf2530.  I appreciate the assist.

Viking